By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What Sony should do with the PS3

tuoyo said:
Garnett said:

Sony should NOT do a price drop,cause they are losing money and a price drop would be more LOST money...

Sony should/is including of its AAA games with bundles..

Sony should not worrie about what Xbox is doing,they need to stick to the plan of pushing blue ray and making AAA games.

Who cares if PS3 is being outsold by the 360,untill they start losing by some odd 20 million i dont think Sony should worry,There both losing to Nintendo.

Sony is doing great right now,despite what all these fanboys are saying,Keep it up Sony!

Sony is not doing great and you don't need any fanboys to tell you that.  They have released a product that has cost them billions and they released it using a model that can only be successful with some serious market share.  Their plan was to recover the losses through software sales.  But to generate the software sales required they needed to swallow up the market when what is happening is they are being swallowed up by Wii.  They have also gone from destroying the competition last gen to being destroyed this gen.  In what way are they doing great right now may I ask?

not great but good

bolded part: lol , are u saying that the ps3 is crushed ??? 

u can only use the word crushed  when u talk about consoles like xbox, GC and Dreamcast ,

the ps3 in no way is in a similar position

Around the Network
xman said:
Sony definitely is not doing great they have lost billions on the PS3, but your post is mostly correct. They do need to ignore the Xbox and focus on there strategy. There sales numbers are pretty stong when looked at the $400.00 price tag.

They are making money on each console so dropping the price is not a valid option until they come up with a new chipset that offsets the price drop with a manufacturing cost drop. People keep saying MS dosent care about profits they do the jasper chipset just came out for them allowing the latest price drop.

Sony sales are going well but the trade off, of keeping the price point the same is the 360 will widen the gap. There are trade offs to every strategy and at this time its one sony is willing to take profit for marketshare. I hope sony learned a valubale lesson this generation. One DO NOT come out with a console at $600.00 price point

i think we can logically say that the gap won't matter if it's 5 to 8 millions

3rd party developers will still release the games for both consoles because they are selling well

blackstar said:
starcraft said:
Anyone got a George Foreman PS3 pic?

why?

lol it was a joke referece to the title

@tuoyo SONY's not doing that badly. when aligning the launch dates, its doing better than the 360 by quite a number of units.

They have managed to sell a relatively stable amount of units despite having arguably the most expensive console on the market.

The PS3 also allowed the Blu-Ray consortium to to take the lead in the HD disk sector, thereby opening up an opertunity to get revenues from BR licensing.

Apparently, they are well within their target sales for the fin. year, and therefore look good to make or even exceed that target.

etc. etc. someone else can put the rest of the reasons up.

I do believe that when compared to the Wii this gen, they are receiving a solid pasting though, but remember if they had to sell as well as the Wii does, they would have to spend a huge amount of money to scale up their production facilities and thats why I think they're looking pretty good right now with some slow but solid looking strategies.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

blackstar said:
tuoyo said:
Garnett said:

Sony should NOT do a price drop,cause they are losing money and a price drop would be more LOST money...

Sony should/is including of its AAA games with bundles..

Sony should not worrie about what Xbox is doing,they need to stick to the plan of pushing blue ray and making AAA games.

Who cares if PS3 is being outsold by the 360,untill they start losing by some odd 20 million i dont think Sony should worry,There both losing to Nintendo.

Sony is doing great right now,despite what all these fanboys are saying,Keep it up Sony!

Sony is not doing great and you don't need any fanboys to tell you that.  They have released a product that has cost them billions and they released it using a model that can only be successful with some serious market share.  Their plan was to recover the losses through software sales.  But to generate the software sales required they needed to swallow up the market when what is happening is they are being swallowed up by Wii.  They have also gone from destroying the competition last gen to being destroyed this gen.  In what way are they doing great right now may I ask?

not great but good

bolded part: lol , are u saying that the ps3 is crushed ??? 

u can only use the word crushed  when u talk about consoles like xbox, GC and Dreamcast ,

the ps3 in no way is in a similar position

Agreed. The PS3 has, in fact, sold more copies than the Xbox 360, considering the time it's been on the market. If anything, the X360 is the gamecube and PS3 is the Xbox.

Of course, both of those consoles were failures which did not come close to the supreme PS2. It's a lot closer this gen. No 7th gen console combines affordability with an excellent library and traditional gaming. Before you say the Xbox 360 does, please take a look at this page. You have to go down to 63 to get below 90, 319 to get below 80, 531 to go into yellow (50-74) and 1435 to go into red (49 and lower)

Also, the PS2 was out a year earlier than its competitors, having had a massive victory in the previous generation. It had a year of no competitors, then a few more years of an attempt by Nintendo to be hardcore and a hideous green thing with an awesome FPS. And Ninja Gaiden. Which cost more.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I think Sony should drop the price and introduce a new SKU with BC in Japan.

Thats all they need to do.

Around the Network
blackstar said:
xman said:
Sony definitely is not doing great they have lost billions on the PS3, but your post is mostly correct. They do need to ignore the Xbox and focus on there strategy. There sales numbers are pretty stong when looked at the $400.00 price tag.

They are making money on each console so dropping the price is not a valid option until they come up with a new chipset that offsets the price drop with a manufacturing cost drop. People keep saying MS dosent care about profits they do the jasper chipset just came out for them allowing the latest price drop.

Sony sales are going well but the trade off, of keeping the price point the same is the 360 will widen the gap. There are trade offs to every strategy and at this time its one sony is willing to take profit for marketshare. I hope sony learned a valubale lesson this generation. One DO NOT come out with a console at $600.00 price point

3rd party developers will still release the games for both consoles because they are selling well

I agree with that which is why they are sticking with the stratergy of profit over market share and to be honest I think 8-10 million behind and they still wouldnt lose 3rd support either.  I think both Sony and MS will both have support this gen fo the life of there consoles

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

starcraft said:

Edit: They should have software based BC.  I agree w/ the bundle idea but Sony drives costs up w/ that.

xman said:
blackstar said:
xman said:

I agree with that which is why they are sticking with the stratergy of profit over market share and to be honest I think 8-10 million behind and they still wouldnt lose 3rd support either.  I think both Sony and MS will both have support this gen fo the life of there consoles

this is a fact , ps3 and 360 are helping each other :)

halogamer1989 said:
starcraft said:

Edit: They should have software based BC.  I agree w/ the bundle idea but Sony drives costs up w/ that.

WIN!

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

They should sell it.