By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

let me explain - as a current PC player who also has PSP, DS, Wii, PS2 & PS3...

consoles are easy to use/setup - they're relaxing in that you sit in a nice big comy couch in front of a big TV, and the PS3/360 in particular have opened up online/collaboration in the living room. They're also cheaper to buy.

But PCs are technicaly better in just about every way apart from the above:

Input - a PC can support gamepad, joysticks, K&M, steering wheel, etc. - i.e. not only can it match a console but for FPS it can exceed it. Once you get the hang of it a K&M is demonstrably more accurate than even the best player on gamepad (there's a reason FPS on console has 'aim assist' and not on PC. Oh and of course everything a Wii does with motion sensing a PC could only more accurately as well.

Graphics - despite the strides of 360/PS3 a decent PC is always ahead, and a great PC is miles ahead. Hook a gaming PC up to a big HD TV and PS3/360 games suddenly look like okay Wii games

Flexibility - again, everything 360/PS3 do around media a PC can do better, and with better support for all formats. It can also burn DVDs, etc. if you want plus stream content.

Storage space - now PS3 isn't too bad here with its open standard for HDD drives, but still, if you want a lot of media stored, and HD media at that, the PC is still way ahead here too. The drives are also faster for better loading times.

Processing power - again, depends on specs, but a PC can relatively easily provide more processing power than a console for all those complex physics, etc. that the PS3/360 have failed do deliver (just look at how COD4 has neutered physics to run on consoles).

Online/Community - Live is great, PSN is good getting better, LBP is going to be amazing, etc. But all of that is actually trailing PC capabilities in that regard. Heck I was playing 4 player coop twenty years ago on PCs!

Reliability - you know I can't be bothered searching (but I'd bet PCs are generally more reliable than consoles). I've never had one fail on me anyway while I've had consoles fail, etc.

Factually, a PC can do everything better than a console that a console can do - no exceptions technically when it comes to games, controllers, etc. But a PC has three main drawbacks which is why people prefer consoles (and people like me are increasingly switching to consoles):

1) due to design/habit most people don't stick a large gaming PC under their TV and don't seem to consider this a viable option

2) PCs are seen as expensive and do still cost more (although not as much as you might think if you build your own)

3) PCs are associated with working/home office, etc.

4) PCs are technically daunting vs take it out box, plug it into TV, switch on and off you go

My thoughts as they say.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

hehe my uncle argues with me about the controller being better than mouse and keyboard for shooters. he says its faster to aim with a controller.

All i can say is BS lol. I used to play quake 3 on the pc, Rocket Arena 3 mod and u can never do the stuff i did on a console controller. Rocket jump > Rocket to the enemies face > Railgun to finish them, thats all in one swift combo. there is no way u can get the speed and accuracy u get from a mouse and keyboard on current console pads. why do you think PC COD4 players cant join XBOX/PS3 COD4 Players? unfair advantage.

On the other hand i enjoy the convenience of having a console setup. Pick up and play. I find it funny when people feel threatened by pc gaming. Dont hate pc gamers, hate the fact that most consoles are a little restrictive in terms of keyboard and mouse setup for Shooters/RTS/Simulators. I hope the new xbox and the ps4 will bring proper support for keyboard and mouse. More choice? better for consumers right? but then again would people feel that they are being forced to use keyboard and mouse because they are at a disadvantage.

I dunno something to think about i suppose. One thing i like about having a console is it restricts and makes everyone at a level playing field when online, its all about skill :), none of that oh but ur mouse is the super duper smooth 5million dpi with the extreme gamers keyboard that detects brainwaves, and your computer runs at 500fps and my computer is a washing machine :P

Owner of PS3, Wii, Xbox360, NDS, PSP - Feel Free to add me on PSN or XBL :)

consoles are easy to use/setup - they're relaxing in that you sit in a nice big comy couch in front of a big TV, and the PS3/360 in particular have opened up online/collaboration in the living room. They're also cheaper to buy.

Factually, a PC can do everything better than a console that a console can do - no exceptions technically when it comes to games, controllers, etc.

But a PC has three main drawbacks which is why people prefer consoles (and people like me are increasingly switching to consoles):

1) due to design/habit most people don't stick a large gaming PC under their TV and don't seem to consider this a viable option

2) PCs are seen as expensive and do still cost more (although not as much as you might think if you build your own)

3) PCs are associated with working/home office, etc.

4) PCs are technically daunting vs take it out box, plug it into TV, switch on and off you go

My thoughts as they say.

You can't argue with this.

PS: (And there's no need to call people stupid as some PC gamers do when discussing this topic)

Just another thing.

This is one of the reasons why Microsoft is so scared of Sony. They realised that they Ps3 could become "The Fun PC of the living room". And that posed a big threat to their business.
And then Nintendo came and... well, you know.

PC = Microsoft Windows = ... I hate Microsoft ( Apple Mac rules )
Console is better

Final Fantasy huge... watch my collection

Oh... Final Fantasy huge only on SONY system !

Around the Network
mamboula said:
PC = Microsoft Windows = SHIT ( Apple Mac rules )
Console is better

What a wonder full lack of facts when considering PCs for gaming...

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Depends on what you want to do as people have said MMOG there are none on consoles and RTS just dont work for me on consoles. FPS once you get use to the sticks its fun but its a steep curve, the only problem are snipers cant beat the mouse and keyboard but overall I would say tie again ONCE you get the sticks down.

The console is simple put the game in and play never an issue, no driver issues nothing just play and that is why I am a console player mostly.

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

If you have an HDTV, it's easy to connect your PC with your TV... that's what i do, in addition i have wireless keyboard, mouse and gamepad, so i play in my PC the same way i play on consoles... Of course the rig has to be dedicated to gaming and multimedia and have another PC with a monitor for other stuff (my case), is either that or moving the computer every time you want to play in a TV...

I feel PC gaming advantages overcome it's flaws, sure you have to spend money in the right parts, build it yourself or hire someone to do it for you (i actually like building my computers), install the software, pray for everything to work, and after that, play the games... But the graphics are superb, the flexibility is better, the online is still better (XBL and PSN are great, but they're limited, and Wii channels are a joke to me), i have more storage, i can choose on inputs, etc.

PC games are individually better but consoles have more exclusives and more diverse lineups.

mexitalrish said:

i just want to get one thing straight with gamers.  why is is that people who play pc say its so much better than consoles?  i've played on pc numerous times and all i can say is that consoles are easily my favorite to lay on for any game, especially shooters.
Especially Fail

the mouse and keyboeard to me is just crap.
Fail

a console controller is meant for playing games ya know.  not to mention that i do not need an upgrade every three seconds so i can play my games. 
Fail

later thing i want to do is buy a graphics card just because my computer isn't strong enough for the games after i only bought it six months ago. 
you NEED a graphics card to play a new game. A PC you bought in the store 99% of the time does not have one. Your console has one. What are you upset about? Fail.

its bullshit.  i could care less about the graphics, its all the same to me.  if you read this, tell me why you love the pc or consoles more.  also, just your opinion please, none of that i'm so retarded or is should suck a dick cause i'll  delete your post.
Fail, PS: HAHAHAHAHAHAH 

i only gave my thoughts and just want to know everyone else's.  i don't want to argue over the internet.  just don't be douchebag and it'll all be good