By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Steve Jobs on Blu-ray, ouch!

Who the he'll is Steve jobs?
Jk.....

Around the Network
Imperial said:

Well there's obviously some issues in relation to the lisencing of the Blu-ray technology , evident in the fact that the number of people allowed to manufacture a Blu-Ray player is limited dispite the technology being availible to the mass market for 2 years .

@FisyJoe  "we're waiting till things settle down and Blu-ray takes off in the marketplace"

maybe you should read the whole text and not take it out of context , "we're waiting" and "Blu-Ray takes off" indicates too things , 1 Apple isn't heavily supporting blu-ray at this moment in time likely due to the issues surrounding the lisencing of the technology . 2 Apple has some confidence in blu-ray eventualy taking off as a viable platform.

I'm not going to change your mind whatever I say, but that's an interesting interpretation.

the title is bit too hard

but I understand that BR is, right now, in the middle between UMD and DVD

Time to Work !

^^That seens like the only interpretation for me.

Basically, he's saying that Blu-Ray is a niche format for technophiles. While this is currently true, it's also a rather severe case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network

Implementing blu-ray their Imac's (where you might expect to find BR) is too cost-prohibitive for now. AFAIK, Imac's use slot loading laptop drives and blu-ray enabled drives like this are still going for ~$300. Add the markup you expect from an apple product and the price of a 24 inch Imac would be well into the $3000 dollar range.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

darthdevidem01 said:
@fishyjoe

what the macbook air thingy??

I'm afraid I still don't get the point of that laptop....

hmm...to reinterpet your statement:  the main selling point of the air is that it's the thinnest/lightest laptop on the market.  that said - it's a bit of an unfair comparision cause it doesn't contain any disc drive (blu ray or dvd).  you have to buy an external drive if you want the support.  so i guess the point is it's small and easier to carry around - kind of a big deal when you're trying to sell a portable device.

So now MS and Apple both knock on Blu-Ray... If Blu-Ray was doing so great Jobs would work hard to get it into his notebooks to have that "PS3 Edge"

The rest is a pretty generic statement saying they have to wait for it to take off and be a viable platform. You can put any new technology in place of Blu-ray.

Apple is in a very different position from MS regarding Blu-ray. Apple has a seat on the board of directors for the BDA. MS has no stake in Blu-ray AFAIK.

That means apple has access to most of the information regarding Blu-ray including sales, licensing, technology, legal, etc.

fishyjoe,
no wonder how i try to spin it, he is just saying he doesn't feel its the time YET.