By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Correct me if im wrong but,xboxLive is the only reason the 360 is surviving

hatmoza 2.0 said:

think of it .....microsoft has been losing money on every console even b4 the price cut ! i can only imagine what its losing now ! they are losing money from RROD, yes software is outselling ps3s but not when u add sonys ps2! dont 4get microsoft cant compete with handhelds which widens the users base ! so it confuzzled me ,but then i thought about it (being an ex 360 owner)its XBOXLIVE ! not only do u hafe to pay a 50 dollar acount fee , but u also mindlesly purchase shii u dont even use more than a couple times ....and when u combine the 50 dollar fee plus say another 50 dollars on other stuff per console owner ( 20m * 100 = 2,000,000,000 dollars a year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and thats juss an assuming average .

conclusion ....as long as 360 owners are willing to pay , the 360 aint going nowhere!! so get over it people.

I will correct you because you are wrong, on so many levels.

1) Microsoft HAVE posted profits this year in their entertainment division, a lot of people agree the 360 was making money before the pricecut.

2) They are not losing money from RROD, they paid out 1 billion to cover those costs.

3) You don't HAVE to get live, and not everybody has it.

4) Your figures are wrong ...

Microsoft do make a lot of money from live, I'd say the bulk of it, but it sells software like crazy and the consoles now I assume are only making a small loss.

Around the Network
hatmoza 2.0 said:
drpunk said:

Running Live costs Microsoft money, so a portion of what people pay does go towards it's upkeep.

Not all of it, but then this is business where you mark stuff up to make money.

The main point here is that Sony's PSN being free is not sustainable. It'll be costing them. They have to get money from somewhere to pay for it. They're hoping that advertising on Home will do this. And microtransactions too. Sony mark stuff up too.

so if i recall ...live had alotta ads !!!???

I'm pretty sure it only advertises stuff that's on Live. So like a "new" film's released on Live there'll be an "advert" for it.

seece said:
hatmoza 2.0 said:

think of it .....microsoft has been losing money on every console even b4 the price cut ! i can only imagine what its losing now ! they are losing money from RROD, yes software is outselling ps3s but not when u add sonys ps2! dont 4get microsoft cant compete with handhelds which widens the users base ! so it confuzzled me ,but then i thought about it (being an ex 360 owner)its XBOXLIVE ! not only do u hafe to pay a 50 dollar acount fee , but u also mindlesly purchase shii u dont even use more than a couple times ....and when u combine the 50 dollar fee plus say another 50 dollars on other stuff per console owner ( 20m * 100 = 2,000,000,000 dollars a year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and thats juss an assuming average .

conclusion ....as long as 360 owners are willing to pay , the 360 aint going nowhere!! so get over it people.

1) Microsoft HAVE posted profits this year in their entertainment division, a lot of people agree the 360 was making money before the pricecut.

2) They are not losing money from RROD, they paid out 1 billion to cover those costs.

Microsoft do make a lot of money from live, I'd say the bulk of it, but it sells software like crazy and the consoles now I assume are only making a small loss.

a loss is a loss my frend ...which leads to my conclusion ....live is the money maker!!!

It couldn't possibly be the good games that help to keep the 360 going, could it?

hatmoza 2.0 said:
seece said:
hatmoza 2.0 said:

a loss is a loss my frend ...which leads to my conclusion ....live is the money maker!!!

True, sorry how the hell are sony making money again? huge losses on the consoles, psn is no money spinner, it sells less games than the 360.

Around the Network
hatmoza 2.0 said:
RolStoppable said:
You are wrong, your grammar is bad and your spelling is horrible.

well sorry i didnt have the luxury of growing up in the united states or any other country that speaks the english language

but i taught myself to speak write and read english as best as i can ...and i now speak 3 languages !

how many do u speak ??!!

Rolstoppable is from Austria so I'm guessing at least two. 

I, on the other hand, only speak one, and not that well sometimes.  I know bad words in several languages.  I'm a pottymouth polyglot.  

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

RolStoppable speaks at least three languages.
1.English
2.German
3.Austrian :)

Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k
Level 10 - Zeus - Pass 500k

New Table:

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Rookie - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Padawan - Pass 10k
Level 4 - Sea Dog - Pass 25k
Level 5 - Captain - Pass 50k
Level 6 - Agent - Pass 100k
Level 7 - Elite - Pass 175k
Level 8 - Hero - Pass 250k
Level 9 - Legend - Pass 500k
Level 10 - Titan - Pass 1 Million

I wouldn't say it's the ONLY reason the 360 is surviving; the obscene amount of moneyhatting that Microsoft does is also helping a lot.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

amp316 said:
hatmoza 2.0 said:
RolStoppable said:
You are wrong, your grammar is bad and your spelling is horrible.

well sorry i didnt have the luxury of growing up in the united states or any other country that speaks the english language

but i taught myself to speak write and read english as best as i can ...and i now speak 3 languages !

how many do u speak ??!!

Rolstoppable is from Austria so I'm guessing at least two. 

I, on the other hand, only speak one, and not that well sometimes.  I know bad words in several languages.  I'm a pottymouth polyglot.  

its juss bcuz i try so hard and ppl still critisize my spelling,, well he apologized in a personal message ...and i respect that

hatmoza 2.0 said:

think of it .....microsoft has been losing money on every console even b4 the price cut ! Wrong

i can only imagine what its losing now ! they are losing money from RROD, yes software is outselling ps3s but not when u add sonys ps2! Oh right so let's add every single Windows sold in the world and it will beat PS2+PS3+PSP

dont 4get microsoft cant compete with handhelds which widens the users base ! Of course they can't because they don't have a handheld. Oh right I forgot that every PSP owner has a PS3 and every DS a Wii.

so it confuzzled me ,but then i thought about it (being an ex 360 owner)its XBOXLIVE ! not only do u hafe to pay a 50 dollar acount fee , but u also mindlesly purchase shii u dont even use more than a couple times ....and when u combine the 50 dollar fee plus say another 50 dollars on other stuff per console owner ( 20m * 100 = 2,000,000,000 dollars a year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and thats juss an assuming average .

conclusion ....as long as 360 owners are willing to pay , the 360 aint going nowhere!! so get over it people.

Impulsivity said:
In reality, an 80GB PS3 for 399 costs less then a 199 core (doesn't exist anymore I assume you mean arcade) +200 for 4 years of live (you can get 13 months for $40 and you want to play until 2013?... okay) +90 for wireless (It's more like $80 and not everybody needs wireless) +100 or more for a hard drive (you missed the news ? As an Arcade owner you can get a 20GB harddrive for $30 + 3 months LIVE) but a lot of people are taken in by something that seems cheap and don't really notice the recurring costs. Microsoft thrives off of that; I guarantee you there are people on this forum who have given Microsoft nearly 400 dollars by now for online play between the Xbox and the 360, paying more then the console is worth to do what I've been able to do for years free on my Playstations.

= $389 without wireless

= $469 with wireless

I think it's unnecessary to mention, that wire is better ;)