By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LittleBigPlanet Review - "the best platform game ever created"

Well to those who balk at best platformer ever, it isn't saying it is better then say...Mario World AT THE TIME, but of course, times have changed. Yes Mario World was great for when it came out, but it is not now the best platformer ever unless it is given huge nostalgia points. At one point Final Fantasy 1 was the best console RPG ever, but that doesn't mean its even in the top 10 now.

It is important to separate current games and how good they are from old games and how good they WERE.

I am not positive LBP is the best platformer ever since I have only played a demo, but I don't see it as beyond the realm of the possibility. The breadth of levels, even in the basic game, is simply amazing. Add to that that almost no serious platformers have come out in the last decade (Symphony of the Night was the last one I remember being taken really seriously) and I think it has a good shot at that title. That is doubly true if you include the development kit which is amazing even for simple character creation. I think the first few minutes I spent customizing my sack boy rank up there with the best video gaming I've had in over 20 years.

For those who say its impossible, what game is your best platformer ever? My runner up would by symphony of the Night personally, which is still pretty awesome (I just got it on the PSP) though I'd assume Mario World or Sonic 2 would be on the list for others.

Dark horse best platformer ever? Mega Man X2.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Around the Network

I really do hope that the game does well. More games like this need to do well in order to get people making something besides generic FPS number 1,765,890 or Game Party 659. I just think that the hype machine is setting it up to take a fall. That's all.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Oh and it matters whether they mean best 2D platformer ever or best platformer period (including games like Jak and Dexter, Ratchet and Clank, Mario 64, Sly Cooper ect.) If it includes 3D platformers that statement is far more bold and harder to justify without more playing (and seeing how the editing tools work out)

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

I know that I'm going to get yelled at for being a Wii fanboy, but I think that Super Mario Galaxy is the best ever followed very closely by Mario 64. My favorite 2D platformers are the Marios, Sonics, and Castlevanias of the world. Earthworm Jim was really good too.

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Best Platformer ever is Mario 64. Period. No 2d game will beat it. No matter how much we are given to create levels. MArio 64 is the best because it was a challenge. the 3d level design was second to none.

LBP is good, but even against 2d platformers like Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World that statement is bold. It's not just about user created content. Because Mario has characters that people love. LBP has little soft ants. What moves can you do?

See. LBP I'm looking forward to, but user created content does not warrant the best platformer title.

Characters, music, moves of the character, a world to lose yourself in (aka mushroom kingdom) and seriously, do you think any tool to create levels in LBP will beat Shigeru Miyamotos level design?????

Around the Network
amp316 said:
I know that I'm going to get yelled at for being a Wii fanboy, but I think that Super Mario Galaxy is the best ever followed very closely by Mario 64. My favorite 2D platformers are the Marios, Sonics, and Castlevanias of the world. Earthworm Jim was really good too.

Actually, that is completely acceptable. I also love SM64, and SMG is the 2nd best Wii game after MP3.

Xen said:
amp316 said:

Actually, that is completely acceptable. I also love SM64, and SMG is the 2nd best Wii game after MP3.

Whew. Thanks. MP3 is the most underrated game on the system and one of the best. 

selnor said:
Best Platformer ever is Mario 64. Period. No 2d game will beat it. No matter how much we are given to create levels. MArio 64 is the best because it was a challenge. the 3d level design was second to none.

LBP is good, but even against 2d platformers like Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World that statement is bold. It's not just about user created content. Because Mario has characters that people love. LBP has little soft ants. What moves can you do?

See. LBP I'm looking forward to, but user created content does not warrant the best platformer title.

Characters, music, moves of the character, a world to lose yourself in (aka mushroom kingdom) and seriously, do you think any tool to create levels in LBP will beat Shigeru Miyamotos level design?????

thank god it has a story mode then.

selnor said:

Yes, because your pitching one mans (although he had a team) levels design against the potential creativity of millions.

amp316 said:
Xen said:
amp316 said:

Whew. Thanks. MP3 is the most underrated game on the system and one of the best.

From what I've heard and seen, MP3 turned out to be fantastic... and judging by the prevous MP titles, it's for a reason. You can't get any good games in my country though - when I get a Wii, and I hope to get it because its now shifting major Japanese support, MP's a must buy... but I'll have to import, sadly.