By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is the X360 so popular in the USA/NA?

@Gebx. The Games, Uncharted, MGS4, Tekken 5 DR, Ratchet and Clank TOD, GT5P. Resistance Fall of Man. All Released Top quality EXCLUSIVE Games.

Around the Network

All this talk about shooters in relation to NA gamers and the 360 is rubbish.

The reason why the 360 is way more successful mainly because of user base (more people have it which leads to things like word of mouth etc.) and the breakdowns that come with it.

The majority of your friends have a 360 rave about games like Halo, COD4, Madden, Gears etc. and the LIVE experience. Sure there are a lot of cross platform games. But the 360 success can be directly attributed to userbase. I have all of the current systems. And the PS3 is the only one that I DO NOT play regularly. I played the PS3 when I sent my 360 in for repairs (no RROD something else LOL). And found the whole "online" interface to be awkward and nowhere near as enjoyable as live.

A game like Madden 09 for instance (which does run slower on the PS3 even though they said they fixed the frame rate issues) at most if you're looking for a game online it there are about 50 people TOPS on looking for games vs. 100-150 on LIVE. I have never tried COD4 for PS3 but I have heard that you wait long as hell to get in matches on the system.

You factor this in with the price and the over exageration of BLU-Ray. I can tell you that 7 out of 10 gamers that I know could care less about the format. And the majority of new system buyers when they are looking at a system are into the 360 (that I know anyway). Why? Simply because of the user base and the word of mouth.

All this talk about shooter this, or exclusive that... Is irrelevant, sure to the "elite" gamer crowd that makes a difference.  But to the avg. gamer that wants to maybe just play Madden, GTA4, Tony Hawk/Skate etc. THEY DON'T GIVE A _______ ABOUT:

Killzone 2
Gears 2
Uncharted
Lost Oddessy
Ratchet and Clank
Metal Gear

etc.

Some may have their decision swayed by wanting to play a particular exclusive game, but those games don't matter to them. It's just the "elite" gamer crowd

www.talkxbox.com - It is what it is!

Jackson50 said:

Jo21 said:
games are target for the americans, low price, they buy hip things not matter if they are not as high quality as japanese counterparts.

look at cars.
honda toyota ford GM=chevrolet
Civic > Corolla > Focus > Optra.
but overall americans cars sell better.
europeans and japanese are smart people.

A) You are ignorant. The Toyota Corolla and the Honda Civic have been the best selling cars in America since the mid-90s when the Ford Taurus held the spot. 

B) The American companies have steadily improved their quality. According to "Consumer Reports," Ford is now equal with Toyota and other Japanese automakers in regards to quality.

C) Even if all of the previous bunkum you said was true, it would only make sense if the Xbox was consistently outselling a "superior" Japanese product. It is not and it has not, however, consistently outsold a "superior" Japanese product. Both the PS2 and the Wii have outsold the "inferior" American product. 

a. i didn't sell they sell bad, but OVERALL, ford and GM sell better in america.

toyota and honda are worldwide respected as nintendo and sony, but it took a raise in prices of oil to get them noticed.

and recently Toyota passed GM.

b. how about gas mileage... ? average gas mileage compared to japanese brands, there are many points people

you can say the american have have a 150 horse power and the jap a 100 but the 150 eats 15 miles  1 galons of gasoline

and the japan can go over 35 miles easily per galon.

especially for someone that only uses the car to go to work those extra miles are more useful than 50 extra power.

c. the japanese make good products, and last gen was known ps2 had a bigger game library making it superior.

People are biased in NA, very biased.

Add to that MTV is huge here, and they are all over the XBOX 360(they are partly owned by microsoft).

mM

People in NA are biased for gaming consoles? Do you ever take a look at sales numbers of the Wii/DS? How about the PS2? All those systems sold or are selling a ton. Has nothing to do with Bias

Around the Network

Sorry, I didn't see this thread but I just posted my analysis here: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=45317

leo-j said:
People are biased in NA, very biased.

Add to that MTV is huge here, and they are all over the XBOX 360(they are partly owned by microsoft).

No... not at all. Biased? Only if Europe and Japan are biased for favoring the PS3.

The people here just want to play games. Why would they buy a PS3?

- It is more expensive
- It is less popular (less friends to play with)
- Its games are less appealing to NA gamers (Gears & Halo alone probably outsell all PS3 exclusives combined)

The only thing PS3 really has on it is reliability and Bluray. Most gamers don't care about Bluray, and being reliable is only beneficial when the product is desirable. If Sony delivered Gran Turismo, SOCOM, God of War, or any other games NA cares about early on, the situation might not be as bad as it is.

Jo21 said:

a. i didn't sell they sell bad, but OVERALL, ford and GM sell better in america.

toyota and honda are worldwide respected as nintendo and sony, but it took a raise in prices of oil to get them noticed.

and recently Toyota passed GM.

b. how about gas mileage... ? average gas mileage compared to japanese brands, there are many points people

you can say the american have have a 150 horse power and the jap a 100 but the 150 eats 15 miles  1 galons of gasoline

and the japan can go over 35 miles easily per galon.

especially for someone that only uses the car to go to work those extra miles are more useful than 50 extra power.

c. the japanese make good products, and last gen was known ps2 had a bigger game library making it superior.

No, GM may sell more OVERALL in the US but Ford does not. Toyota sells more vehicles in the US than Ford does. Honda and Nissan are 5th and 6th. Honda will likely surpass Chrysler LLC in number of vehicles sold. Nine of the top 20 selling vehicles in the US are produced by Japanese companies. Also, it did not take a rise in gasoline and oil to get them noticed. In the mid-90s, when gas was inexpensive, Toyota had the best selling car and Honda was not far behind.

Your not-so-subtle insult of American products and American citizens is incongruous with the facts.

=p Lol this is gold. How is it possible that it derailed to a car sales thread. I think I never see a thread with that kind of discussion ^^''.

Well i got my xbox with halo 1 and barely played it then got h2 and got xbl 6 months before h3 came out, and i was like omg0rz h3 will rockorz so i bought a 360 but it dissapointed(h3). Now im glad i did, most of my friends have xbl and 360's and it has alot better games.

I bet if the xbox never had a rrod problem it would of destroyed the ps3. I think the next xbox will destroy the next playstation if it dosent break.

and lol @ people saying MTV etc made it popular lulz.