By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Starwars... less WW sales than either HD console? Why?

Because everyone who owns a Wii is too young to know what Starwars is

Around the Network
psrock said:
I think what the OP is saying is that THE ps2 never had to deal with this. For being the leader of this GEN, the wii is not dominating in the multiplatform area. It might change later on, but I doubt it. With games getting better and better looking on the HD consoles, its going to tough choosing the wii when choosing these games.

That's part of it, definately.  I'm trying to figure out where, exactly, the Wii fits in the grand game-making scheme.  Its casual, and it obviously appeals to kids, yet, with the strange exception of golf, pro sports don't do well on the Wii (I would think that's a "casual" genre, and certainly golf isn't a "kids" game).  Also, lego titles do well on the Wii... but Starwars themed games don't somehow?

I am *very* surprised that the Wii version of this game is not absolutely blowing the other versions out of the water.  Maybe it will have legs... certainly the holidays will give it some.  I don't have 100% faith in all things Wii, though.  I feel that the slower sales for this game are somehow related to the pro sports issues.

Groucho said:

That would be another interesting discussion though -- why golf, and not other sports on the Wii?

Easy to catch and without a huge fanbase from the old generation. I think that the advantage of Madden in PS3 and XBOX360 is that, most of the fans are on that consoles.

but Starwars themed games don't somehow?

It's the first "serious" Starwars on the Wii, It'll be interesting to see the sales for Cone Wars.

psrock said:
trestres said:
Top Spin 3 sold the same on every platform.
Madden sold the same on Wii and PS3 despite the huge discrepance on their opening weeks.
Pro Evolution Soccer sells much less because it's released half a year later.
Wii Sports outsold every other HD sports game ever released /thread.

where?

Lol I agree with psrock.  Where on earth did you dig up that falsehood?  "Sold the same" is pretty subjective.  Madden 07 and 08 were close to the PS3 on the Wii... and of course the Wii's installed base was much larger in both cases.  The Wii is close to the PS3 with Starwars too...  thank god for installed base?  

3rd party devs are going to look at the "almost equal" raw sales and say "oh look, the Wii sells almost as much as the least popular platform of this generation, retails for less per unit, and only costs 2x as much to port to, over that least popular platform from our primary of the X360... lets move our primary dev platform there, so we can double our dev costs and make the HD versions crappy ports."

I think you're missing the point of my questions.

Groucho said:
Smeags said:
Groucho said:

If this turns out to be a common occurance with Wii-X360-PS3 crossplat titles, what effects will it have, long-term, on the Wii?

Well, while there are titles (such as this) that have sold more on the PS3 or 360, there are also titles that have sold more on Wii than the 360 and PS3.

Sega Superstars Tennis
Wii: .65
360: .21
PS3: .10

Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (here's a Star Wars game )
Wii: 1.40
360: .83
PS3: .55

Speaking of Lego, both Indy and Batman are also besting their PS3/360 cousins.

But, this'll just end up as a list war, and I don't want that. What it comes down to, especially for a game like Force Unleashed, is that comparative sales won't really matter in this case. It's like saying "Hey, the Wii sold 1.5 million compared to 360's 2 million. It still made us a bunch of money, but it sold less so we don't want a part of Wii. Sorry."

Btw, your sig makes me smile.

1. You haven't quoted Pro Sports titles... you quoted cartoony "kid" sports games as examples for the Wii.

All that really suggests is that kids games have a large audience on the Wii... but I think we knew that already.

That's kind of a side issue -- important, 2. yes, but I wanted to focus more on "grownup" AAA titles.  Point taken though -- any game focused on a younger audience does very very well on the Wii, for certain.  I kinda thought any Starwars title would fit into that category as well.

1. "Well, there are titles that have sold more on the PS3 or 360" That's why I didn't, because I affirmed the obvious (except for the Tiger Woods series)

2. You never mentioned "grownup" AAA titles in the OP (And Force Unleashed is not a AAA game, as much as you want to believe it is...) But fine, we can switch focus to "grownup" AAA games. Better edit it in so others wont get confused.

Around the Network
Smeags said:

1. "Well, there are titles that have sold more on the PS3 or 360" That's why I didn't, because I affirmed the obvious (except for the Tiger Woods series)

2. You never mentioned "grownup" AAA titles in the OP (And Force Unleashed is not a AAA game, as much as you want to believe it is...) But fine, we can switch focus to "grownup" AAA games. Better edit it in so others wont get confused.

Edited =)

I agree on the kids games, but I think that's somewhat of a different discussion -- it doesn't really fit with the issue I'm trying to understand on the Wii with this game, and other more mature cross-platform titles.  I'm trying to understand why the Wii isn't as viable as a mature gamer platform as the HD consoles -- its large installed base and decent specs, along with the lack of HD acceptance WW, seem to imply that it should be relatively popular as a mainstream "gamer" console... yet oddities like this one emerge.

Groucho said:
trestres said:

Tiger woods is the exception, sadly.  Hardly the rule.  There are half a dozen pro sports titles on the PS360 that say exactly the opposite.

That would be another interesting discussion though -- why golf, and not other sports on the Wii?

You asked that EXACT same question in this thread. You then completely abandoned said thread. How interested in an answer are you, exactly? P.S., I gave my answer to your question there, if you care.

As to this topic...

Groucho said:

That's part of it, definately.  I'm trying to figure out where, exactly, the Wii fits in the grand game-making scheme.  Its casual, and it obviously appeals to kids, yet, with the strange exception of golf, pro sports don't do well on the Wii (I would think that's a "casual" genre, and certainly golf isn't a "kids" game).  Also, lego titles do well on the Wii... but Starwars themed games don't somehow?

I am *very* surprised that the Wii version of this game is not absolutely blowing the other versions out of the water.  Maybe it will have legs... certainly the holidays will give it some.  I don't have 100% faith in all things Wii, though.  I feel that the slower sales for this game are somehow related to the pro sports issues.

And I feel the italicized is correct. The people who buy most pro sports games overlap nicely with the people who've been gaming the most for the longest time. These folks value graphics and like traditional control schemes, and the HD consoles give them both. What more do they want? They currently don't like the Wii as much as the HD consoles. It's rather like the PSP vs. DS all over again, in that the former offers the traditional gamer what he knows he wants, while the latter offers him what he doesn't yet know he wants. (Note: the last sentence is tangential to the topic. Feel free to ignore it for now.)

Bringing this back to the topic at hand, who are the people most likely to buy a Star Wars game? Obviously, Star Wars fans. Now, let's start treading on thinner ice.

What is the stereotypical Star Wars fan? He is a young male, oftentimes a geek and/or nerd.

What is the stereotypical gamer? He is a young male, oftentimes a geek and/or nerd.

What is the likelihood that a Star Wars fan has been a gamer for a long time? High. The fact that almost every game with the name "Star Wars" slapped onto it sold very well is excellent proof of this.

What do we conclude from this? Most Star Wars fans have been longtime gamers.

And what did we decide about longtime gamers? They're more likely to value graphics, and like traditional control schemes.

So what platform are they most likely going to decide to pick this game up on...?

Because Wii install base has alot of casual gamers.. They like wii play and wii sports

@Groucho: Are you lazy, handycapped or just dumb?

Madden NFL 08:

PS3: 0.88 million
Wii: 0.81 million and selling a lot more weekly + no Others data.

Madden NFL 07:
PS3: 0.48 million
Wii: 0.45 million and no Others data

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

noname2200 said:

You asked that EXACT same question in this thread. You then completely abandoned said thread. How interested in an answer are you, exactly? P.S., I gave my answer to your question there, if you care.

I abandoned that thread after it went off into denial-land from Wii fanboys... "every Wii game has super legs!",  "It made money, so the fact that it doesn't return anywhere near as much money doesn't matter", "it ain't so", etc.  Even though the numbers say otherwise.

The rest of your post is very interesting.