By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Reason why PS2 is still selling

You have completely destroyed the previous theory of "ps2 sells bcuz its l337" - which was once highly regarded as fact by 3 or 4 morons.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Around the Network

naww bro, the ps2 is aimed at lil kids,

once they get comfortable wit it and decide to move on, they're more likely to choose PS3. thats sony's plan (in my opinion)

^Hook 'em while they're young? :P

Xen said:
tao said:
your true about one thing, that the Ps2 is selling because of the Wii, but not only because of that.

The reason why the Wii is helping the Ps2 sell so good, is the fact that it's keeping the consumers/gamers in a last-gen state. The main reason however is the fact that the PS2 was/is the best console ever made, which isn't just a opinion but a general statement and fact.

Damn straight lol.

^I'm getting Eternal Poison, btw.

Heck yeah.  I still get excited everytime I see a new PS2 RPG on the horizon, and I own all 3 next-gen consoles.  The PS2 is a serious contender for any cross-platform Wii/PS2 release as well, even though I know that the game *should* be better on the Wii.

If Sony made a PS2.5, with a 600 MHz EE and VUs, and a 300 MHz GS (taking some cues from the Wii here), along with 80MB of memory, a new built-in browser, PS2 version of the XMB, 720p support, etc...

I would totally get one.  If RPG devs supported it, using their veteran game engines, I would never look at my Wii again, likely.

A PS2 2.5 would give MS HD exclusivity, and that's not good. But I get VERY VERY VERY excited with any new RPG. They, among others, are the reason I love my PS2.

If the 360 RPG's got released on the PS3 I would never get a 360.. but they force me to.

Around the Network

aren't old games of the ps2 hard to find now?
i hope it continues selling strongly

games like rockband, dance dance revolution don't depend on graphics to sell.

people will buy the cheapest version to play it, since the accesories are expensive anyway.

thats why the ps2 its still selling.

Go visit Japan and after you seeing the humongous amount of PS2 games in the stores, you will realize why PS2 is still selling, at a price point not too far from Xbox360 Arcade (16000 yen vs 19800 yen).

Besides the top selling new PS2 games like Persona 4 (301K Week 13) and Super Robot War Z (419K week 2), the Japanese developers would rather port PS3/Xbox360 games to PS2 (Dynasty Warriors 6, Dynasty Warriors Gundam), but not to Wii, that should tell you something.

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

oh that theory is just meh. the ps2 is still selling because it has the largest amount of games you could ever want. it is also a good console to get a young kid, just to introduce them into gaming.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

1) Price is very nice compared to 7th Gen Choices
2) Quite possibly the greatest and questionably best Library in existance
3) Brand Recognition
4) Easily Replaced [Looking at price and popularity]
5) Game Library still growing and Decent speed for a 8+ year old system.

I don't think the Wii has much to do with it.

4 ≈ One