By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA MAKING A CONSOLE??????

The system would fail and no, I'd not buy it.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Around the Network
guigr said:
I really doubt it, the only thing I can picture is a PC-based console.
It has been tried before and they all failed to generate interest.

Xbox, X360.

Electronic Arts simply doesn't have the capacity to compete with Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft. Think about it. If they did make a console then it stands to reason that all of EA's games would be exclusive to it. That's great, but can anyone honestly say that they would buy an EA console for The Sims, Madden NFL and Need for Speed? Seriously. Why would Electronic Arts want to cripple the sales of their own games like that?

Xen said:
guigr said:
I really doubt it, the only thing I can picture is a PC-based console.
It has been tried before and they all failed to generate interest.

X360.

I meant PC compatible. There is no way any publisher (outside EA) would start making games for a 4th console.

Waste of time for them seriously. They make software not hardware, didn't Sega teach them anything after their crash.

Also who actually believes there's enough room right now for 3 consoles. There isn't and Sony/MS would definetily agree with me. 4 is pushing it and as far as i can tell the last time that happened was 6th gen i think. Sega ofcourse. Damn after scoping wiki gen. 5 had 5 consoles. Many died very fast deaths because of it.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

EA will make a console on the day that Disney buys Apple, Nintendo goes third-party, and Sega releases the Phoenix.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Not likely, they make their money because they are able to put games on as many systems as possible.  Also, unless they take the Nintendo route, they can't take the HW losses that Sony and MS have taken.  Not to mention I believe their NFL license requires them to put Madden on all current game systems.  Or so I have heard.

I suspect EA would be more interested in trying to push a min spec/development environment for HW guys that would make their live easier. They've said in the past (or so my memory informs me) they'd prefer either one console or more common console platforms / dev tools.

The issue is there is a lot of money in gaming and currently getting to that common spec would be way more difficult than for, say, a DVD player.

I don't see Nintendo wanting to go anyway but there own, although Sony might well be keen to have more open tech/tools following their admission they allowed PS3 to be to engineering led with tools/developer needs not giving enough consideration.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

megaman79 said:
4 is pushing it and as far as i can tell the last time that happened was 4th gen? i think. NeoGeo, Genesis, Snes and Jaguar.

2 died very fast deaths because of it.

DC/PS2/XB/GC

But then again, that still enforces the idea that one would die.

Yakuzaice said:
megaman79 said:
4 is pushing it and as far as i can tell the last time that happened was 4th gen? i think. NeoGeo, Genesis, Snes and Jaguar.

2 died very fast deaths because of it.

DC/PS2/XB/GC

But then again, that still enforces the idea that one would die.

Actually, nevermind. Lol.