By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - New web articles using VGChartz as source

Here is another reference to the same (type) of story:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=168471

(except they manage to call the site - vgchats.com :P)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

Using Vgchartz as a source is a bad idea. Very bad.

Hope the trend doesn't spread.

MontanaHatchet said:

So, it's better for sites to quote numbers from official services which... oh yeah, are estimates also.  Did you see the discrepencies between two official sources last week in Japan.  40k difference for one game!  I think VG Chartz is good enough to be used by sources, especially when they even put disclaimers directly in the article that the site is not 100%.  Also, ioi is only going to get better over time.

MontanaHatchet said:

yeah, I'm sure ioi and the rest of us would HATE that to happen ;)

(/sarcam off)

Within 12 months, you'll see sites everywhere quoting figures/articles from VGChartz. Within 2 years, I think we'll be accepted as the place to go for sales data.

All the (overall) figures are broken down, and open for everyone to see. Its a lot more open than other sites or sources (that simply provide a "magic" number).

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

Here is one more, citing PS3 sales vs 360 sales this past week in NA.

http://communities.canada.com/shareit/blogs/gamesnews/archive/2007/07/19/ps3-sales-pass-xbox-360-a-week-after-price-drop.aspx

Around the Network
shams said:
MontanaHatchet said:

yeah, I'm sure ioi and the rest of us would HATE that to happen ;)

(/sarcam off)

Within 12 months, you'll see sites everywhere quoting figures/articles from VGChartz. Within 2 years, I think we'll be accepted as the place to go for sales data.

All the (overall) figures are broken down, and open for everyone to see. Its a lot more open than other sites or sources (that simply provide a "magic" number).

The openess is what will appeal to news outlets, it allows them to play with the numbers and do funky stuff that gives them the results they want =P (Not that this is your fault, your just giving the facts and they are twisting them.)  Ultimately, the hope is that folks who are interested in the numbers will visit vgChartz  and see for themselves!

To Each Man, Responsibility

BTW, I was following one of the stories via GameTab that referenced VGChartz - and the "comments" under the initial post were more than interesting... I'll try and reproduce them here (only including relevant posts):

http://www.gametab.com/news/976629/

--------------------------------

PS3's New "Value Proposition" Helps Tip US Sales in Sony's Favor
Not only that, it beat the Xbox 360 for the first time in a looooong time.

Source - Computer & Video Games.

Quote:
PS3 outsold 360 last week in North America, following the $100 price-drop on the 60GB version.

According to stats collected on vgchartz.com, 41,005 PS3 consoles were sold in the week ending July 14, compared to 360's 35,084 sales.

Wii, meanwhile, still dominated the pack with 76,394 sales.

Congratulations, Sony. Now, how's about abandoning the whole 'fire sale' aspect of this price cut and making up some lost ground? You know, before it's too late.
Another story with numbers from vgchartz? Why can't we wait till the real numbers come out. This story is totally meaningless.
"According to stats collected on vgchartz.com"

Okay, can we stop sales number posts all together? Because if vgchartz suddenly becomes the defacto standard for numbers reporting, then why are we bothering to talk about it at all? They have most skewed numbers with a huge bias against Microsoft. MS announced they shipped 10 million units in January and VGchartz.com still has them at 10 million. Does anyone here believe that number?

Poor Computer and Videogames, your source sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watership
"According to stats collected on vgchartz.com"

Okay, can we stop sales number posts all together? Because if vgchartz suddenly becomes the defacto standard for numbers reporting, then why are we bothering to talk about it at all? They have most skewed numbers with a huge bias against Microsoft. MS announced they shipped 10 million units in January and VGchartz.com still has them at 10 million. Does anyone here believe that number?

Poor Computer and Videogames, your source sucks.

Well, what other stats to we have on consoles sold? vgchartz.com seems just as reliable as any other site, if you ask me. Either way, we have no way of knowing what is the truth.
Also, no, I don't think the 360 has reached 11 million since January... just add up the weekly sales. Why do you think it's more than they say?
Well, what other stats to we have on consoles sold? vgchartz.com seems just as reliable as any other site, if you ask me. Either way, we have no way of knowing what is the truth.
Also, no, I don't think the 360 has reached 11 million since January... just add up the weekly sales. Why do you think it's more than they say?

That's easy the NPD charts. You know the official ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderHero5

How about NPDs? You know the released retailer numbers? The ones that don't include Walmart and other huge chains? So. These are the semi complete US numbers for 360 from January to May from NPD.

Jan 294000
FEb 228000
March 199000
april 174000
May 155000

Now lets assume that Eurpoe and Japan and the rest of the world didn't sell 1 Xbox 360. That's still over 1 million 360s sold in the US since Jan. And June hasn't been reported yet.

How can anyone believe vgchartz's numbers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchiker
That's easy the NPD charts. You know the official ones.

Just a word of caution, not even NPD's numbers are absolute. They dont track retailers such as Target or Walmart sales. So figure NPD as another ballpark figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fable2323
Just a word of caution, not even NPD's numbers are absolute. They dont track retailers such as Target or Walmart sales. So figure NPD as another ballpark figure.

But they are the ones that Sony themselves use in their press releases regarding sales numbers. I think it's safe to use the ones that all three console makers refer to.

Even GAF has banished this site.

Yah here we go again with VGChartz. I'd much rather just wait till mid-August when NPD puts out the US numbers. It'll be a much better indication of how much the price drop affected Sony's sales.

vgchartz, so reliable that neogaf has the site banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderbox
vgchartz, so reliable that neogaf has the site banned.

who the fuck is neogaf? didn't know they became THE site for how gamers should react to sites like vgchartz that are out to get people. all hail mighty neogaf. pfft get the fuck outta here.

hehehe vgchartz are a joke...but if they are reporting what you want to be real well maybe they are for you

gamechartz is for fanboyz. I can make a better site, made by simply making numbers up. Or using a sample... based on how many people buy systems when I work, then multiply by 20 thousand or so.

Xbox 360 sold 40,000 this week by my numbers.
PS3 sold 0 by my numbers.

See! Anyone can make up stats with a basis in the real world, and you need to do is add in some fiction!

----------------------------

Its worth a laugh if nothing else. I was tempted to sign up, and post on the thread to give them a "heads up" - but stuff 'em instead ;)

(I just bolded my fav comments...)

Gesta Non Verba

Game Assessment website

stof said:
KruzeS - one time is clever, I see it a second time and oh the bans I will wield!
Aww cmon it was a great idea. Best way to ensure Mod viewing. :)

@Shams: In the recent Arstechnica article, a guy from Enterbrain, NPD and Wedbush registred just to bash VGChartz. Go figure...

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

How can you not know that reference to Jurassic Park...

You at least should know, "Shooot herr!!"

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )