By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - In the Future BattleNet will Cost Money

shio said:
fuck Destructoid. Twesterm, you keep using shitty blogs as source of your threads and that's just wrong.

Blizzard has said many times that Blattle.net will be FREE!!! What Battle.net will have is an optional subscription that will give things like "play all B.net games despite not having the original games", "avatar customization", etc... no doubt they won't give ingame items because it will disrupt the games balance.

And for anyone wondering, they have already said this almost like a year ago, it's old news.

Oh!  Because at some point in the past someone said something it must absolutely be true! Always!

Right, lets see, what's a good example...

Didn't at one point say that there would be no price cut in 2008 and then months later they announced one?  Yeah, people can change their mind, especially after something like a huge merger.

Around the Network

[edit:  you saw it before I posted.]

Still, I don't see why his explanation is incompatible with the self-admittedly VERY vague Destructoid info.  You act like they are contradictory.  Why? 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Snesboy said:
April Fools!

You guys are pathetic. Read: gullible.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/11/blizzards-wilson-some-battle-net-features-to-be-monetized/
I was hoping it was a joke, too (the meat of the article, that is).

The Ghost of RubangB: Insane figures. Really puts the PC v Console gaming into perspective.

c0rd said:
Snesboy said:
April Fools!

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/11/blizzards-wilson-some-battle-net-features-to-be-monetized/

The Ghost of RubangB: Insane figures. Really puts the PC v Console gaming into perspective.

Just logging into any Bnet game you can get those numbers. It's kinda sick that at almost any time i get onto TFT there's no less than 50k people playing. Seen it go up to 130k on weekends too....

Somehow I doubt Bnet will have nearly as many people on if they started charging for it, or give benefits for people who do pay. If Battle.net 2.0 will make them charge then fuck 2.0 and leave us with 1.0. People would be much happier.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

After looking through a few videos earlier today, I was actually starting to look forward to Starcraft 2 and Diablo III. I've never paid a subscription fee before and I don't plan to start now.

I'll stick with Relic's RTS's and skip Diablo III. I'm not really interested in any of the clones, but I wouldn't pay more than £20 so I'm allowed to click on things anyway,

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
c0rd said:
Snesboy said:
April Fools!

Just logging into any Bnet game you can get those numbers. It's kinda sick that at almost any time i get onto TFT there's no less than 50k people playing. Seen it go up to 130k on weekends too....

Somehow I doubt Bnet will have nearly as many people on if they started charging for it, or give benefits for people who do pay. If Battle.net 2.0 will make them charge then fuck 2.0 and leave us with 1.0. People would be much happier.

You misread the article, it says some features will be monetized, not all. No doubt Blizzard will make Battle.net free with an optional subscription for some additional features.

Really, every article about this only said that some features were going to be monetized, but twesterm posted the only article that said otherwise! That's what you get from taking Destructoid as a valid source of news.

Edit: Hell, the whole Destructoid article is  just mocking Blizzard, and the title implies that Battle.net will force you to spend money, which is simply unproven and speculative (t even goes against what Wilson, the guy who was quoted, said)

Noolsey said:
After looking through a few videos earlier today, I was actually starting to look forward to Starcraft 2 and Diablo III. I've never paid a subscription fee before and I don't plan to start now.

I'll stick with Relic's RTS's and skip Diablo III. I'm not really interested in any of the clones, but I wouldn't pay more than £20 so I'm allowed to click on things anyway,

Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 will have free online... why did you think otherwise??

The headline is misleading.

More information please.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/13/blizzcon-2008-rob-pardo-talks-battle-net-monetizing/

What are your thoughts on this, twesterm? You did a lot of fearmongering yesterday.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Well if the interview is right than good, I don't mind, I'm not changing my name. If not Blizzard can go f*** itself. I'm already upset about SC2 having 3 SKUs..

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-