By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If it weren't for Wii, I wouldn't own a console this gen.

It's funny people classify them as "HD" consoles.  

The first HD game I played was in 1995, Dark Forces.

The games promoted by the "HD" consoles are as old as HD itself.  I guess that's my beef with the way console gaming was supposed to go - stale.  Thank goodness for innovation.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Around the Network

I used the term HD consoles because it is quicker to type than playstation 3 and xbox 360. I am fully aware that we have had superior and HD resolutions on PCs for a while now.

frybread said:

It's funny people classify them as "HD" consoles.  

The first HD game I played was in 1995, Dark Forces.

The games promoted by the "HD" consoles are as old as HD itself.  I guess that's my beef with the way console gaming was supposed to go - stale.  Thank goodness for innovation.

Your signature backs up your thoughts, that it does.

Sephiroth357 said:

It's true. I'm a huge fan of the Wii, and this thread explains why.

I haven't been this excited about gaming in years.  Every Wii game I see I want to try.  Then next year, sword fighting with MotionPlus?  Can't wait.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Well that's good for you :) , I'd likely own a console this gen regardless.

Around the Network

I'm with you frybread, my friends and I probably wouldn't have bought a console this gen if it wasn't for the wii. We all lost interest in consoles during the 6th gen, even with the ps2s library, and switched to PC. I can also see what you mean on the part about old pros, noticed a lot of people who I interact with that are under 19 or are relatively new to gaming (5th gen+) generally lean towards the HD twins.

vtx said:
I'm with you frybread, my friends and I probably wouldn't have bought a console this gen if it wasn't for the wii. We all lost interest in consoles during the 6th gen, even with the ps2s library, and switched to PC. I can also see what you mean on the part about old pros, noticed a lot of people who I interact with that are under 19 or are relatively new to gaming (5th gen+) generally lean towards the HD twins.

what type of games did you play on the PC during the 6th gen?

frybread said:
Sephiroth357 said:

It's true. I'm a huge fan of the Wii, and this thread explains why.

I haven't been this excited about gaming in years.  Every Wii game I see I want to try.  Then next year, sword fighting with MotionPlus?  Can't wait.

were you excited about the eye toy back in '03?

To be honest I was considering not buying a new console and instead buying a few old games for GameCube... then maybe buying a console later in the generation.

But I didn't.

so you wouldnt get a ps3 or 360 well that to me says you arnt a great fan of HD graphics you prefer lesser graphics.