By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If it weren't for Wii, I wouldn't own a console this gen.

frybread said:

If Nintendo had tried to release a Cube360, I would have yawned and done without.  PC would have been more than enough. Am I alone on this?

I mean, 6th gen was boring enough with all the cinematic games, but console players seem to still be enamored with the FPS, a genre that has been well explored and done to death on PC.  Think about it, they're just now discovering online gaming with Halo 2 or Halo 3. Much like country music, they're 15 years behind the rest of the industry.  Online deathmatch? Doom, 1993.  Team based tactical gaming? Tribes, 1998.  It's an old, old genre.

From reading countless forums - especially VGC, one thing I've noticed about Wii gamers is that they're not new to gaming.  They're old pros, and the stats back this up (only 10% of owners are expanded market)  I also have another suspicion - Wii owners are likely to be PC gamers.  Am I right?

When you spend a big chunk of your time playing MMO's, or competitive FPS/RTS, it's a nice change to play Wii, especially with friends and family.  And as PC gamers we're not prone to buzzwords like "HD" since we played Dark Forces in HD back in 1995.  Also, Crysis kind of makes you jaded to any console attempts at realism.

We're exactly the kind of people Nintendo was targeting.  People growing older, getting tired of FMV-laden "cinematic" gaming, wishing for a new experience.  We're why Nintendo was predicting a downturn in gaming, and they had to do something to keep our interest.

Judging from sales of traditional consoles, Nintendo was right.

I didn't pay much attention to this thread earlier becuase I did buy a current gen. The Wii. Then it suddenly dawned on me that I don't have the other 2. They are so a non factor in my gaming. Then I read your post and went wow. upper planar $#!^ that's so me.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Around the Network
FryMyArse said:
code.samurai said:

FryMyArse said:

I'm not here to stalk anyone.  I'm just here to counteract the raging fanboyism represented by Mr. Frybread.

I have nothing against the Wii in general.  I don't feel that its existence threatens anyone's gaming way of life.  My beef is with frybread's constant assertion that the world would be a better place if Sony disappeared from the gaming market.

I'm not sure why anyone would wish for LESS choice in the marketplace and feel that is a good thing, but there you go.

I'm sure.  Why don't you start a thread about it and get all this rage out in the open.  Hiding your real beef isn't really healthy, you never know if it has melamine in it.

I'm sorry if you misunderstood.  I'm not angry and I have no beef with anyone.

Gaming is supposed to be about games, not about whose choice is the 'right' one, or whose choice is the 'wrong' one.

Choosing the best-selling console does not make you a better person or a better gamer.

First you say you have beef with Frybread's argument, now you say you don't have beef with anyone.  Either you have it or you don't make up your mind man!  And stop changing arguments, you make me think of a slimy weasel each time you change position and its making it harder to pin you down.  I take it back I don't think you're much fun as a nemesis. :/

code.samurai said:

First you say you have beef with Frybread's argument, now you say you don't have beef with anyone.  Either you have it or you don't make up your mind man!  And stop changing arguments, you make me think of a slimy weasel each time you change position and its making it harder to pin you down.  I take it back I don't think you're much fun as a nemesis. :/

You made it sound like I have some kind of underhanded agenda against frybread.  I don't.  I take exception to his views, but saying 'you have a beef' it makes it sound as if it's personal.  It is not.

I haven't changed any of my arguments...please point out where I changed my position on the Wii, PC gaming, or the current generation of consoles.

If you want to talk about slippery, frybread wrote the book on shape-shifting into whatever excuse du jour suits his arguments.  I'm not here to entertain or amuse, only to inform and balance.

Faxanadu said:
If it werent for Nintendogs, I would not own a DS. Yes, the truth hurts sometimes.

well..the same thing with me...or atleast that was the reason i bought it back then...