By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If it weren't for Wii, I wouldn't own a console this gen.

FryMyArse said:
TWRoO said:

Here I was thinking it was the PS3 people bought for "potential" (after you get a second job of course)

The Wii has massive future potential yes, but in most people eyes it has achieved considerably more than either of the other consoles in terms of great games (which it now has in droves, albeit a good 50% thanks to Nintendo themselves) This is why it sells well.

If the console is as you say, still not living up to the others, then why is it still selling more than the combined totals of the other two.... Had it not built up a decent library of games by now it would have been the fad that the doubters thought it was nearly 2 years ago.... A console cannot sell so well for 2 years straight with nothing going for it.

Console sales have very little to do with anything except the gullibility of the buying public, and good marketing.

The Wii library is laughable for a console with such a large user base.  We see shovelware title after shovelware title, and hear about "AAA" titles like Animal Crossing (meh) and Wii Music (double meh) that are "coming".

Past the 4 or 5 good exclusives for the Wii (the other top ones are ports), it's a vast wasteland of mediocrity.

Funny, I can't name more than 5 games I would want for X360 yet that is supposedly the console with the greatest line up.

PS3 I could certainly find a few more interesting titles I will admit, but not many, and most of the extras would be PSN oddities.

I could also quite happily name hundreds of shovelware titles on the PS2, ever heard of the Top Trumps games... yeah there are at least 6 of those that I know of for a start... all of the crap made by the Ninjabreadman dev originated on the PS2 as well. then the sea of mediocre titles making up the bulk just like all other consoles (more so for any of the popular consoles)

Word spreads, that is how the Wii has become so popular, people play it, then tell others about how great it was (Wii Sports has managed most of this free viral marketing itself) The public would have just continued buying Playstation produce if it was due to gullabillity, the Playstation brand had built itself up so large that non-savvy people refer to a console as a playstation even if it isn't.

What sells a console, and keeps it selling, is the game line-up, and the people have clearly chosen Wii for this.

Game line-up is what is keeping the X360 even with the PS3 (it had a headstart thus more games at the beginning, and more games meant more games sales, meant more games etc) This was why the PS2 was such a massive success, it had the PS brand behind it, as well as the headstart to build it's own line-up before the other consoles released.

Good marketing can only go so far, the momentum would have been lost as word spread that no-one liked the Wii.

Around the Network
TWRoO said:

Funny, I can't name more than 5 games I would want for X360 yet that is supposedly the console with the greatest line up.

PS3 I could certainly find a few more interesting titles I will admit, but not many, and most of the extras would be PSN oddities.

I could also quite happily name hundreds of shovelware titles on the PS2, ever heard of the Top Trumps games... yeah there are at least 6 of those that I know of for a start... all of the crap made by the Ninjabreadman dev originated on the PS2 as well. then the sea of mediocre titles making up the bulk just like all other consoles (more so for any of the popular consoles)

Word spreads, that is how the Wii has become so popular, people play it, then tell others about how great it was (Wii Sports has managed most of this free viral marketing itself) The public would have just continued buying Playstation produce if it was due to gullabillity, the Playstation brand had built itself up so large that non-savvy people refer to a console as a playstation even if it isn't.

What sells a console, and keeps it selling, is the game line-up, and the people have clearly chosen Wii for this.

Game line-up is what is keeping the X360 even with the PS3 (it had a headstart thus more games at the beginning, and more games meant more games sales, meant more games etc) This was why the PS2 was such a massive success, it had the PS brand behind it, as well as the headstart to build it's own line-up before the other consoles released.

Good marketing can only go so far, the momentum would have been lost as word spread that no-one liked the Wii.

The PS2 is in year 8 (almost year 9) of its lifecycle.  More than 1500 games have been released for it, and continue to be released.  If all you can come up with are a handful of bad titles, that's just a drop in the bucket.  The Wii, on the other hand, have 270+ titles in its library, 80% of which range between below average to just plain awful.  The games just aren't there beyond a few 1st party titles.

The Wii is selling because of its price and because of its marketing, both viral and mainstream.  Good on them for inventing the next cabbage patch kid that everyone HAS to have...but the fact remains that once the novelty wears off it becomes like all the other board games that sit in the closet until Uncle Fred and Aunt Mabel visit from Grand Rapids and just HAVE to see that new-fangled Wii thing.

It's like a virus that keeps spreading, but eventually wears off.  You wake up one day and have Wii Sports and Mario Kart, and no desire to play it anymore.

FryMyArse said:
TWRoO said:

The PS2 is in year 8 (almost year 9) of its lifecycle.  More than 1500 games have been released for it, and continue to be released.  If all you can come up with are a handful of bad titles, that's just a drop in the bucket.  The Wii, on the other hand, have 270+ titles in its library, 80% of which range between below average to just plain awful.  The games just aren't there beyond a few 1st party titles.

The Wii is selling because of its price and because of its marketing, both viral and mainstream.  Good on them for inventing the next cabbage patch kid that everyone HAS to have...but the fact remains that once the novelty wears off it becomes like all the other board games that sit in the closet until Uncle Fred and Aunt Mabel visit from Grand Rapids and just HAVE to see that new-fangled Wii thing.

It's like a virus that keeps spreading, but eventually wears off.  You wake up one day and have Wii Sports and Mario Kart, and no desire to play it anymore.

It must be wonderful to live in your own little universe where you are so certain of your taste and judgment that anyone that disagrees with you is a gullible fool. And where mere facts and logic play no role since the Wii is not the lowest priced nor the most heavily marketed console.

It is an impressive virus that has continued unabated for two years. Even influenza only manages six months.

And bad luck, the novelty hasn't worn off obviously as game sales continue quit briskly unless you actually believe all those blue boxes in the best selling game charts each week are being bought to put in the closet on top of the game. But the good news is that you won't have to drag it out for Uncle Fred and Aunt Mabel because they bought their own after you showed it to them last year.

If there are a lot of crap game it is because there is an industry, fueled by reviewers and overrepresentation in gaming discussion groups that have been all too slow to recognize that the entire gaming industry does not have to be driven just by the need of males 15-25 to burn off excess testosterone through game of vicarious violence that won't send them to jail.

FryMyArse said:

Console sales have very little to do with anything except the gullibility of the buying public, and good marketing.

A PS3 Fanboy's Ideal World of Smart, Informed Consumers

Hey Grandpa, even though you're not as athletic as you used to be, you can still have fun, so we bought your retirement home "Heavenly Sword"!! Enjoy

--------

Happy birthday Tim! We got you a new toy to play at your birthday party tonight, a PS3 with "Motorstorm"!!! You can play while all of your guests watch.

--------

That was a great Thanksgiving dinner, and Martha the turkey was perfect! Now let's all go to the family room and watch someone play "Metal Gear Solid 4"

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

I love this thread. PC and Wii are awesome.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network
frybread said:

Hey Grandpa, even though you're not as athletic as you used to be, you can still have fun, so we bought your retirement home "Heavenly Sword"!! Enjoy

--------

Happy birthday Tim! We got you a new toy to play at your birthday party tonight, a PS3 with "Motorstorm"!!! You can play while all of your guests watch.

--------

That was a great Thanksgiving dinner, and Martha the turkey was perfect! Now let's all go to the family room and watch someone play "Metal Gear Solid 4"

This wasn't funny the first 10 times you cut and pasted it.  It's still not funny.

Typical Wii fanboy response....ignore the facts and try to tear down Sony and Microsoft.  What color is the sky in your world?

Grampy said:

It must be wonderful to live in your own little universe where you are so certain of your taste and judgment that anyone that disagrees with you is a gullible fool. And where mere facts and logic play no role since the Wii is not the lowest priced nor the most heavily marketed console.

It is an impressive virus that has continued unabated for two years. Even influenza only manages six months.

And bad luck, the novelty hasn't worn off obviously as game sales continue quit briskly unless you actually believe all those blue boxes in the best selling game charts each week are being bought to put in the closet on top of the game. But the good news is that you won't have to drag it out for Uncle Fred and Aunt Mabel because they bought their own after you showed it to them last year.

If there are a lot of crap game it is because there is an industry, fueled by reviewers and overrepresentation in gaming discussion groups that have been all too slow to recognize that the entire gaming industry does not have to be driven just by the need of males 15-25 to burn off excess testosterone through game of vicarious violence that won't send them to jail.

Spouting the Nintendo company mantra, I see.  And I count myself in the ranks of the gullible buying public since I bought one too.  The wife and kids enjoyed Wii Sports and making Miis and the like, until they grew as sick of it as I did.  I got tired of waiting for Nintendo to foist yet another peripheral on me (Wii Fit, anyone?).  I haven't sold it yet, but as the holiday season approaches I find the temptation harder to resist..

And Uncle Fred and Aunt Mabel are exactly who Nintendo is catering to.  Unfortunately with that, we will see a continuing flood of Brain Age and Hannah Montana games that hold very little appeal to anyone but the most casual gamer.  Nintendo has abandoned the mainstream gaming public in favor of sales, sales, and more sales.

Where is the parade of great third party titles that was supposedly coming out on the Wii due to it's overwhelming popularity?

<crickets>

FryMyArse said:
frybread said:

--------

--------

This wasn't funny the first 10 times you cut and pasted it.  It's still not funny.

Typical Wii fanboy response....ignore the facts and try to tear down Sony and Microsoft.  What color is the sky in your world?

That is a rather odd response.... A fanboy will typically do that you realise, that's why people use fanboy as a derogatory term. Which means a Sony "fanboy" would do the same and tear doen Nintendo and Microsoft, or a Microsoft "fanboy" will do the same to Sony and Nintendo.

Anyhow, while I do see Frybreads retort to you as fanboyish (if true, as after all those 3 statements would not come to pass with PS3 or X360 games being the focus, well the middle one might.) there don't seem to be any facts he ignored.

The facts are that the Wii is selling, it is still selling after 2 years, faster than any other console before it, perhaps clever marketing and gullability played a part (perhaps without them the Wii would not be outpacing the PS2 as the fastest selling console) but if you are going to keep using such a ridiculous claim as the ONLY reason it sells so far into the Wii's life, then it is you who is sidstepping the facts.

Fact: Wii sells more than the other two consoles combined
Fact: Wii software attach ratio is higher at this point in it's life than PS3s is, than PS2 was and perhaps than the X360 was (I don't have links to MS fiscals and I am unsure I would find what I want anyway) that is not counting Wii Sports either (and if you think no one would have bought a game had WSports not been bundled you are insane)

If the Wii has such terrible games, why are people buying more of them per console, and sooner in the consoles life than any popular console before it.

FryMyArse said:

And Uncle Fred and Aunt Mabel are exactly who Nintendo is catering to.  Unfortunately with that, we will see a continuing flood of Brain Age and Hannah Montana games that hold very little appeal to anyone but the most casual gamer.  Nintendo has abandoned the mainstream gaming public in favor of sales, sales, and more sales.

Well I must say they aren't doing a terribly good job of selling to the customer base outside of what was there last generation.

Take out the Wii's sales and look at the sales of this gen compared to last, wow a huge market crash just happened, why have so many of last gens gamers stopped buying gaming consoles.
(adds Wii back into the equation)
Oh there they are, and yes they brought a few new friends, but the new ones are certainly not the majority nor even a plurality.

What I am saying is that the current Wii popuation is in fact mostly last gens PS2 gamers (more so even than Nintendo fans as there were not too many of them last gen)

@frymyarse

Your small sample, anecdotal evidence isn't convincing. Wii continues to sell more software than PS360. You bring up Brain Age (a good game) and kid games, but even traditional games, like Tiger Woods PGA Tour, Guitar Hero, Sega Tennis, are all selling better on Wii.

And look how the developers cave in to sales, look at GH:WT or Rock Band 2 to see how quickly Wii standards are brought up when they realize it's going to sell more than either of the traditional consoles.

I'll ask the same of you. Name any 90+ rated 3rd party title that I'd prefer to play on one of the old-fashioned consoles, rather than my PC.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8