By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If it weren't for Wii, I wouldn't own a console this gen.

Addressing your points:

1) People who buy a 360 already have a TV.  People who buy a PC do not have a monitor, keyboard or mouse.

False for several reasons.  A) It's possible for a non-TV owner to buy a console, there is no law that states you must own a TV to purchase one.  My brother this last week is a good example, buying both at the same time.  B) Many PC owners already have monitors, keyboards and mice, as do console owners.  C) You can hook a PC up to a TV, just as easy as a console - negating the need for a monitor.

It's simply not fair to include a monitor in the price of a PC, and not include a TV in the price of a console.

2) The more games you have, the slower your computer runs.

False.  HDD space has very litte to do with overall computer speed, and if it does, you need a defrag.

3) Building a PC that runs games decently can be quite expensive.

Sort of true, but not much. You'll spend about $100 more than a console building a gaming PC.  See the $500 rig linked in the quote above, which outperforms 360/PS3 in visuals.

The whole point of this thread is that 360/PS3 are trying so hard to be PC's, that they end up overlapping PC gaming - and for anyone who knows their way around PC's, the consoles come up short.   I mean, they just found online gaming!  They're still amazed by user created content!  For non-PC owners I can see why it's incredible, but for the rest of us, been there done that (in higher res and more detail).

Wii embraces the qualities of a console, takes gaming in a different direction from PC's, and that makes it the only console worthy of a purchase for a PC gamer.

1) You misunderstand me, I never said that "People who buy a PC do not have a monitor, keyboard or mouse." All I was doing was disagreeing when that other guy was implying that people who want to game on a console also need to buy a TV, couch, etc. I said that everyone already owns those things. You mentioned  your brother, who I assume didn't just buy a TV just to game on it? Because if he did, that would be the same thing as buying a PC just for gaming (see 3)

2) Clearly I was mistaken, but that's the case for me. Although in my case it could be due to viruses, spyware etc (another problem for PC gamers, and don't tell me that it's really easy to avoid these things, it's still a problem nontheless). Also, wouldn't the PC have a limit on the number of games you can install on it because of the hard drive, while gaming on consoles (except for the PS3) would allow for conveniently switching out game discs without worrying about how many games you can play.

3) Right now, I have a 512MB RAM, 80GB hard drive, 4-year-old computer. Needless to say, I can't game much on it. If I was just getting into gaming, I would just go for the much cheaper console choice. I'm gonna be needing my PC for other stuff too, like school, and I'm bound to install more programs on it, eating up hard drive space. I suppose I could use my old PC for school and a new one for gaming, but there's no point in having two PC's, because then I would need to buy a new monitor (those HD ones can be expensive), speakers, etc. while I already have a TV. I would also not need to upgrade my console for at least 5 years and every game I can buy would run on my console. What if another game like Crysis comes out and I really wanna play it? I would have to spend at least a hundred more dollars to play it.

PC gaming is more expensive by far, but it does have some benefits, like MMORPG's and RTS games that are no good on consoles. Buying a PC just for games is ridiculous, and something that I personallly would never do. If you wanna say that a PC can do so much for than just play games, which is absolutely true, then you have to realize that every single console owner in the universe already has a PC to do those things. And most of those PC's just aren't gonna be used for serious gaming.

Can you PC gamers at least see now why console owners don't like PC gaming? No one is hating on you here, it's just that there's too many downfalls to getting a gaming PC, and it's just SO much more convenient to buy a console. Not to mention some great exclusive games on the PS3 and Wii.

# of games above 75 on Metacritic (including downloadable):

360: 241     DS: 144

PS3: 152     PSP: 126

Wii: 85

Around the Network
ManusJustus said:
joora said: 

But i can easily earn whatever money i've spent on my PC in less than a months time by using it for work aside from gaming. Can you do that with PS3/x360/wii ?

I have to admit that consoles are good for relaxation, but they aren't cheap compared to PC - they can be used only for gaming (and moviewatching and eventually internet browsing), while PC's are a lot more.

I also have to say that buying PC only for gaming is more expensive than buying a console, so it that is the case, you're better off with a console

You are much better off buying an XBox 360 or a PS3 and buying a standard computer to work on than buying a top notch computer that you have to update all the time so jsut so you can play the newest games.  If you buy an dXbox 360 or PS3, for a few hundred dollars you play new games worry free for several years. 

You could argue that PC gaming is better, everyone has their preferences, but to think that PC gaming is cheaper is an obsurd.

Not everyone work consist of typing stuff into Word or Excel you know. Many people actually need top notch computers for work.

frybread said:

1) People who buy a 360 already have a TV.  People who buy a PC do not have a monitor, keyboard or mouse.

False for several reasons... more bs...

You aren't worth talking too.

mowe said:

Addressing your points:

False for several reasons.  A) It's possible for a non-TV owner to buy a console, there is no law that states you must own a TV to purchase one.  My brother this last week is a good example, buying both at the same time.  B) Many PC owners already have monitors, keyboards and mice, as do console owners.  C) You can hook a PC up to a TV, just as easy as a console - negating the need for a monitor.

It's simply not fair to include a monitor in the price of a PC, and not include a TV in the price of a console.

2) The more games you have, the slower your computer runs.

False.  HDD space has very litte to do with overall computer speed, and if it does, you need a defrag.

3) Building a PC that runs games decently can be quite expensive.

Sort of true, but not much. You'll spend about $100 more than a console building a gaming PC.  See the $500 rig linked in the quote above, which outperforms 360/PS3 in visuals.

The whole point of this thread is that 360/PS3 are trying so hard to be PC's, that they end up overlapping PC gaming - and for anyone who knows their way around PC's, the consoles come up short.   I mean, they just found online gaming!  They're still amazed by user created content!  For non-PC owners I can see why it's incredible, but for the rest of us, been there done that (in higher res and more detail).

Wii embraces the qualities of a console, takes gaming in a different direction from PC's, and that makes it the only console worthy of a purchase for a PC gamer.

1) You misunderstand me, I never said that "People who buy a PC do not have a monitor, keyboard or mouse." All I was doing was disagreeing when that other guy was implying that people who want to game on a console also need to buy a TV, couch, etc. I said that everyone already owns those things. You mentioned  your brother, who I assume didn't just buy a TV just to game on it? Because if he did, that would be the same thing as buying a PC just for gaming (see 3)

2) Clearly I was mistaken, but that's the case for me. Although in my case it could be due to viruses, spyware etc (another problem for PC gamers, and don't tell me that it's really easy to avoid these things, it's still a problem nontheless). Also, wouldn't the PC have a limit on the number of games you can install on it because of the hard drive, while gaming on consoles (except for the PS3) would allow for conveniently switching out game discs without worrying about how many games you can play.

3) Right now, I have a 512MB RAM, 80GB hard drive, 4-year-old computer. Needless to say, I can't game much on it. If I was just getting into gaming, I would just go for the much cheaper console choice. I'm gonna be needing my PC for other stuff too, like school, and I'm bound to install more programs on it, eating up hard drive space. I suppose I could use my old PC for school and a new one for gaming, but there's no point in having two PC's, because then I would need to buy a new monitor (those HD ones can be expensive), speakers, etc. while I already have a TV. I would also not need to upgrade my console for at least 5 years and every game I can buy would run on my console. What if another game like Crysis comes out and I really wanna play it? I would have to spend at least a hundred more dollars to play it.

PC gaming is more expensive by far, but it does have some benefits, like MMORPG's and RTS games that are no good on consoles. Buying a PC just for games is ridiculous, and something that I personallly would never do. If you wanna say that a PC can do so much for than just play games, which is absolutely true, then you have to realize that every single console owner in the universe already has a PC to do those things. And most of those PC's just aren't gonna be used for serious gaming.

Can you PC gamers at least see now why console owners don't like PC gaming? No one is hating on you here, it's just that there's too many downfalls to getting a gaming PC, and it's just SO much more convenient to buy a console. Not to mention some great exclusive games on the PS3 and Wii.

I just have to jump in here

1) Most people who are interested in buying a computer for gaming probably already has a monitor.  Most people who are interested in buying a console already have a TV.  Therefore, when comparing prices of the two different choices, TV's and monitors should not be considered.  There is also the issue of visual quality, but the argument applies for both monitors and TV's.  Most people also have speakers, keyboards and mice for computer.  I have about 5 sets.

Speaking of high definition, technically CRT monitors are high definition and have an excellent picture quality when compared to standard definition TV's.  Even compared to LCD, CRT's have a pretty good picture.  Definately since you can get a decent sized used CRT monitor at the computer repair shop I work at for about 35$.

2) yes, the main reason peaple's computers slow down is because of malware (viruses/spyware).  To think this only matters if you are playing games is a little naive.  Malware is easy to avoid if you know what you are doing: use firefox instead of internet explorer, use eset and bitdefender's online scanners to scan your computer periodically, and use a virtual system like returnil (after activating, any changes to your computer before restarting is not permanent).  As for hard drive space, you can get a 160GB Sata HDD pretty cheap and it will store 30+ games depending on thier installation size.

3) I won't even start on #3

basically, what it amounts to is your knowledge of computers.  If you are computer ignorant, it is going to be too expensive and time consuming to play current generation PC games on your PC.  If you are even moderately computer savvy, the computer is cheaper to upgrade and maintain than buying console.   Another benefit to PC's not mentioned by other posters on this thread is backwards compatability.  I could go and find DOOM (the first) and play it on my PC with only a little fanagling.

If you do not know enough about computers to practically play games on it, you should.  The average person is pathetically inept about how computers work even though it plays a large role in most of our lives.  I don't expect people to be experts on computers, but I expect people to know how to do basic maintenance on them.

I guess I am another one of those people who only own a PC and a Wii.  The reason why, I like Nintendo.  Just like how some people like Ford over Chevy and vise/versa.  A lot of XBOX360/PS3 games end up on the computer eventually, and most video game news sites expect the consoles to be specialized PC's in a couple more generations.  Another reason to learn how to work on PC's

edit: about 3, i really didn't read it before.   You already have most of what you need for a gaming PC: case, power supply, monitor, keyboard, mouse, sepakers, operating system (probably XP).  Just buy a new Mobo, processor, RAM and Video card.  Sounds like a lot, but probably bought with <300$ if you spend right and then you will have a good gaming computer.  The new Mobo will give you upgrade possibilites for the future.  Example: you could buy a really good processor and sell your old one to someone for 75% value.  Very cheap upgrade, and if you don't know how to do it....well

Senlis said:

I just have to jump in here

1) Most people who are interested in buying a computer for gaming probably already has a monitor.  Most people who are interested in buying a console already have a TV.  Therefore, when comparing prices of the two different choices, TV's and monitors should not be considered.  There is also the issue of visual quality, but the argument applies for both monitors and TV's.  Most people also have speakers, keyboards and mice for computer.  I have about 5 sets.

Speaking of high definition, technically CRT monitors are high definition and have an excellent picture quality when compared to standard definition TV's.  Even compared to LCD, CRT's have a pretty good picture.  Definately since you can get a decent sized used CRT monitor at the computer repair shop I work at for about 35$.

2) yes, the main reason peaple's computers slow down is because of malware (viruses/spyware).  To think this only matters if you are playing games is a little naive.  Malware is easy to avoid if you know what you are doing: use firefox instead of internet explorer, use eset and bitdefender's online scanners to scan your computer periodically, and use a virtual system like returnil (after activating, any changes to your computer before restarting is not permanent).  As for hard drive space, you can get a 160GB Sata HDD pretty cheap and it will store 30+ games depending on thier installation size.

3) I won't even start on #3

basically, what it amounts to is your knowledge of computers.  If you are computer ignorant, it is going to be too expensive and time consuming to play current generation PC games on your PC.  If you are even moderately computer savvy, the computer is cheaper to upgrade and maintain than buying console.   Another benefit to PC's not mentioned by other posters on this thread is backwards compatability.  I could go and find DOOM (the first) and play it on my PC with only a little fanagling.

If you do not know enough about computers to practically play games on it, you should.  The average person is pathetically inept about how computers work even though it plays a large role in most of our lives.  I don't expect people to be experts on computers, but I expect people to know how to do basic maintenance on them.

I guess I am another one of those people who only own a PC and a Wii.  The reason why, I like Nintendo.  Just like how some people like Ford over Chevy and vise/versa.  A lot of XBOX360/PS3 games end up on the computer eventually, and most video game news sites expect the consoles to be specialized PC's in a couple more generations.  Another reason to learn how to work on PC's

edit: about 3, i really didn't read it before.   You already have most of what you need for a gaming PC: case, power supply, monitor, keyboard, mouse, sepakers, operating system (probably XP).  Just buy a new Mobo, processor, RAM and Video card.  Sounds like a lot, but probably bought with <300$ if you spend right and then you will have a good gaming computer.  The new Mobo will give you upgrade possibilites for the future.  Example: you could buy a really good processor and sell your old one to someone for 75% value.  Very cheap upgrade, and if you don't know how to do it....well

You know, all that sounds wonderful, but the fact remains; buying a console is about 48 times more covenient than doing all that stuff you just mentioned.

Console gaming:

-Buy a console

-To upgrade, buy another console every 5-6 years

PC gaming, according to you:

-buy a new Mobo, processor, RAM and Video card.

-use firefox instead of internet explorer, use eset and bitdefender's online scanners to scan your computer periodically, and use a virtual system like returnil <--- all this to avoid malware that will slow down your PC, something that is nonexistent on consoles

-get a 160GB Sata HDD

-To upgrade: buy a really good processor and sell your old one to someone for 75% value, I'm assuming this is what you do for other parts as well, in addition to actually installing these parts

If you don't at least see WHY people prefer console gaming, then you're just being a blind fanboy. Console gaming is SO much more convenient than PC gaming, and it's cheaper too. That's all I'm trying to say; believe me when I say that I don't hate PC gamers. I just hate when people take one-sided opinions (maybe that's what I'm doing right now, if so, by all means go ahead and prove everything I just said wrong).

# of games above 75 on Metacritic (including downloadable):

360: 241     DS: 144

PS3: 152     PSP: 126

Wii: 85

Around the Network
Sephiroth357 said:
frybread said:

It's funny people classify them as "HD" consoles.  

The first HD game I played was in 1995, Dark Forces.

The games promoted by the "HD" consoles are as old as HD itself.  I guess that's my beef with the way console gaming was supposed to go - stale.  Thank goodness for innovation.

Your signature backs up your thoughts, that it does.

Please say you realize you called yourself a fanboy.

shio said:
Garcian Smith said:
FaithRaven said:
I never understood why the hell people buy a PS360 to play a nerfed version of COD4 or UT3. Why people play racing games with a controller instead of playing them with a racing wheel on the PC ...

Maybe they do because they do not have the money for a high end PC ... this is the only explanation I found so far.

Some people like to game on a couch and a TV, rather than a computer chair and a monitor.

Which is a moot point because PC is getting more and more popular in the living room. And it's not as if you can't use your PC on your HDTV, it's people's fault if they decide not to put their PCs near the HDTV.

Because using a keyboard/mouse while sitting on a couch isn't awkward in the slightest.

Also: Good luck getting any resolution higher than 1080p on an HDTV, meaning that those uber-leet resolutions every PC gamer talks about are sort of a moot point unless you're hunched over a computer desk.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

mowe said:

You know, all that sounds wonderful, but the fact remains; buying a console is about 48 times more covenient than doing all that stuff you just mentioned.

Console gaming:

-Buy a console

-To upgrade, buy another console every 5-6 years

PC gaming, according to you:

-buy a new Mobo, processor, RAM and Video card.

-use firefox instead of internet explorer, use eset and bitdefender's online scanners to scan your computer periodically, and use a virtual system like returnil <--- all this to avoid malware that will slow down your PC, something that is nonexistent on consoles

-get a 160GB Sata HDD

-To upgrade: buy a really good processor and sell your old one to someone for 75% value, I'm assuming this is what you do for other parts as well, in addition to actually installing these parts

If you don't at least see WHY people prefer console gaming, then you're just being a blind fanboy. Console gaming is SO much more convenient than PC gaming, and it's cheaper too. That's all I'm trying to say; believe me when I say that I don't hate PC gamers. I just hate when people take one-sided opinions (maybe that's what I'm doing right now, if so, by all means go ahead and prove everything I just said wrong).

Are consoles more convenient? Yes.

Are consoles cheaper? No.

Do consoles give a better value for your money? No.

Sure, consoles are simple and easy, you only need to buy it once and likely not care about upgrades until next generation. But they are not cheaper or give you a better experience. PCs are getting cheaper and more intuitive, while the consoles are moving the other way (more expensive and less intuitive).

PC games are $10-$40 cheaper than console games. Hell, PC even has hundreds of free games that are supported by advertisement or micro transactions, and they are better than many retail games around. Battlefield Heroes, Fifa Online 2, Quake Live, etc...

Another big thing to consider is that PC games drop price way faster than console games, and that is perfect for people who don't care about getting it day 1.

Fact: A PC gamer will eventually cover the intial cost of his PC by saving money PC games.

Fact: PC has the best online experience, and free!!

Fact: Upgrading is becoming more and more obsolete because the games requirements are slowing down.

Fact: PC has more games than all consoles combined

Fact: PC gives you the best value for your money

All the things you said that firefox and upgrades and such, it's pointless. Even if a person doesn't have the knowledge to make such tweakings, as long as he buys a gaming PC he will keep using it for years (hell, I bet it will even last a generation, if not more)

@ Mowe:
I don't want to quote the post again, it is getting way to long.

I completely agree with you, consoles are much easier to use than PC's are. A fact that explains why consoles still exist and not all games are released on PC's.

Most people, even people who do use the PC to game, don't have the knowledge to build gaming PC's and to maintain them.

However, most people who own a gaming PC use them for other uses also such as online banking, stocks, office tasks, programming, video and picture editing. If PC's do cost more to upgrade than consoles, they are being used for more than gaming. The malware removal maintenace would have to be done regardless.

Basically, what I am trying to say is, basic PC maintenance (including virus removal) would have to be done anyway and cannot be attributed to the fact it is being used for gaming.

Senlis said:
Most people, even people who do use the PC to game, don't have the knowledge to build gaming PC's and to maintain them.

Build ? Why they HAVE TO build ? They can walk in a store and buy a gaming PC like they buy a console. Even the notebook market got flooded with laptops advertised as gaming rigs.