By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that you enjoyed despite thinking they will suck before purchase

Everyone makes threads about game dissapointments and biggest let downs...so I figured Id turn this the other way around.

What are few games that you purchased/rented/borrowed...that you thought will completely suck, yet they shockingly blew your mind and made you in to a fan of the series?

Few I can think of for me would be -

1. Resident Evil 1(saturn) - I really hated most 3d games when they got popular in late 90s and I thought this would be no different but boy was I in for a shock. It was my favourite game for quite a while after...and I bought a PS1 in a month as resident Evil 2 was coming out.

2. Tomb Raider Legend (Xbox360) - I hated the old tomb raider games cause of controls but this one was very enjoyable and I am looking forward to Underworld.

3. Mario Strikers (Wii) - It was the most fun I had with my wii and I got the game by accident. Rented Super Mario Galaxy and got this instead by mistake...

4. Headhunter (Dreamcast) - i figured Dreamcast was over and dead by late 2001 so it was in complete shock to find out the quality and production values as well as the variety of gamplay for this game. Too bad the sequel sucked... 

What are some of yours?

Around the Network

Battleclash SNES

Metal Gear Solid PS1 I've been a MGS fan since.

F.U. Fun University.

I don't usually bother with titles that I believe will be really bad, but maybe I should start reconsidering...

Pokemon Emerald and now see me

Around the Network

Gears of War. I always hated shooters, but I borrowed it from a friend because I wanted to check out the graphics on my HDTV. It ended up being one of the most satisfying games I've ever played.

I don't really buy a game If I think it's going to suck...

I'll say Buck Bumble for the N64. I got it as a gift from someone way back when and I knew nothing about it. It's so much fun though!

Same thing also happened with I-Ninja for the 'cube. That game kicks ass.

Metroid Prime - like many I doubted Metroid would play well in 3D.
Psychonauts (Xbox) - I was expecting a decent 3D platformer, not the best ever.
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution - I didn't care much for previous Virtua Fighter games, it's a good thing I gave VF4E a try.
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (PSP) - I hated Syphon Filter on the PS1 but was amazed by how good it turned out on the PSP.
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood - I don't like the old Castlevania games but Rondo of Blood puts them to shame.

From the things I read in magazines and internet: Assassin's Creed
I didn't though it will suck, I just thought it won't appeal to me.
That was a BIG mistake.

Next one is PGR4. I played the demo of PGR on my XBOX some years ago and the graphics were beautiful, but I was simply bad at this game.

Now both games are in my top 5 games of this generation

Metal Gear Solid 1 - PS1

The cover art was scary & bland + I was only like 7 or 8 when I played it

Been a HUGE MGS fan (its obvious I know) after that

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey