By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-ray could be the next UMD, says MS

TheRealMafoo said:
Domicinator said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Domicinator said:
TheRealMafoo said:
This Tuesday Apple announces there new laptop line. Experts think Apple will announce that the new Mac's will come with Blu-ray drives.

When the #2 laptop manufacture in the world jumps on board, it doesn't sound like a dead format.

Yeah, who better to force their users into a technology than Apple?  It's what they excel at.

I think you mean "offer the option", as I am sure the lower end units will only have DVD.

To bad Vista does not offer that option :p At least the 360 will.

I'm not sure what you even mean by that.  Vista is totally capable of BluRay playback/writing.  And I'd venture to say that if there really is a BluRay add on coming out for the 360, it will probably be able to connect to PCs as well.

Show me a link that says vista has support for Blu-Ray.

BluRay playback in Vista requires a third party application such as Nero.  Much like how proper DVD playback in XP often required a third party codec or application to run properly (maybe it doesn't anymore, but it used to).  The Vista-patched version of Nero Ultra definitely supports it, and I have it installed on both my Vista machines.  I don't have a BluRay drive, but it would definitely be supported if I did.

You're getting confused by the fact that WMP doesn't support it right out of the box.  There's a big difference between that and not supporting it at all.

Around the Network

Cyberlink also supports playback of both BD & HD DVD.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

hahaha i love M$ sometimes, they are always good for a laugh

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Yea microsoft... downloading a 10 GB 1080p movie on your puny 20GB HDD with American's crappy copper wired internet @ <1 MB per second?? FIOS is not even widely adopted... leaving your X360 on all night would just break your already not so quality machine down faster. BUt I guess you have the money to pay for all those red ring repairs...  At least Sony has the decency to allow you to use your own HDD which makes a lot more sense to hold true HD movies...

errorrrr said:

Yea microsoft... downloading a 10 GB 1080p movie on your puny 20GB HDD with American's crappy copper wired internet @ <1 MB per second?? FIOS is not even widely adopted... leaving your X360 on all night would just break your already not so quality machine down faster. BUt I guess you have the money to pay for all those red ring repairs...  At least Sony has the decency to allow you to use your own HDD which makes a lot more sense to hold true HD movies...

Spoken like a true PS3 fanboy a**hole.  First of all, even most entry level DSL maxes out at 1.5 Mbps.   Cable internet is now capable of several times that fast.  My Comcast connection, which is supposed to be a 6 Mbps connection actually gets up toward 20.  Now, that's just when I do a speed test, so real world downloading or streaming is not always going to give you content that fast.  In the Chicago area where I live, Comcast cable internet seems to be the prevalant broadband service.  The last time I ever had internet speeds below 1 Mbps was about 8 years ago when I had DSL.

Secondly, if a 360 red rings, you most certainly do not pay for repairs.  You just call MS and they take care of it.  As bad of a situation as the RRoD USED TO BE, Microsoft has at least tried to remedy the situation with a 3 year warranty and a very speedy replacement procedure.  Should it have happened in the first place?  No.  But the Falcon revision seems to have really helped, and the Jasper revision should all but eliminate the problem.  And I guarantee that MS will not allow this to happen with their next console.  To say they've probably learned their lesson would be a severe understatement.

Sony has the decency to allow you to use your own hard drive.  True.  Does Sony have the decency to deliver on the promises they've been making for two years about their console or its library?  Does Sony have the decency to create a console that the average gamer can afford?    Is Sony trying at all to improve their situation, or do they just expect their console to pick up steam on its own?  And how is that strategy working out for them?  The sales gap between the PS3 and 360 is now wider than it was a year ago, not closer. 

And finally, at the risk of being banned, I must ask:  Are you a complete idiot?  It's ok if you are.  I swear that 90% of the people who post on this forum are 12 year olds who haven't bothered to learn how to spell, write, or probably even speak the English language.  It's the same 12 year olds who speculate on all this console war BS and don't have even the slightest concept on how the business world works, how electronics makers make their money, how shareholders view these companies, or how marketers strategize for any of it.  Hell, one of the biggest 360 detractors on this site doesn't even OWN a PS3!!!!  (You know who you are.) 

Again, I'll probably be banned or something for saying all this, but at least I got to say it first.  I actually think the PS3 is a great console.  If the price comes down a bit, it should sell like hot cakes.  But I have never seen a single console generate such absolute jerk hole moron fanboys.  It used to get bad back in the days of Sega vs. Nintendo, but the retardation was nothing like what it is today.  Probably because there was no internet.  But here's your wake up call:  the console war is mostly fought amongst nerds on the internet.  And it doesn't mean anything, because nobody will ever even agree on how to determine the winner.  If this generation ended right now, would the Wii win because of amazing hardware sales?  Well, it has a horrible attach rate, so shouldn't the 360 win?  Maybe not.  Maybe the PS3 should win because.......well at some point there will be a reason people can think of.  (Ok, that was a cheap shot, but I'm angry right now.)

This post has nothing to do with the OP, I know.  I got off on a tangent.  I'm so sick of stupid people.

Around the Network

Awesome post, Domicinator.

Domicinator said:
errorrrr said:

Spoken like a true PS3 fanboy a**hole.  First of all, even most entry level DSL maxes out at 1.5 Mbps.   Cable internet is now capable of several times that fast.  My Comcast connection, which is supposed to be a 6 Mbps connection actually gets up toward 20.  Now, that's just when I do a speed test, so real world downloading or streaming is not always going to give you content that fast.  In the Chicago area where I live, Comcast cable internet seems to be the prevalant broadband service.  The last time I ever had internet speeds below 1 Mbps was about 8 years ago when I had DSL.

Secondly, if a 360 red rings, you most certainly do not pay for repairs.  You just call MS and they take care of it.  As bad of a situation as the RRoD USED TO BE, Microsoft has at least tried to remedy the situation with a 3 year warranty and a very speedy replacement procedure.  Should it have happened in the first place?  No.  But the Falcon revision seems to have really helped, and the Jasper revision should all but eliminate the problem.  And I guarantee that MS will not allow this to happen with their next console.  To say they've probably learned their lesson would be a severe understatement.

Sony has the decency to allow you to use your own hard drive.  True.  Does Sony have the decency to deliver on the promises they've been making for two years about their console or its library?  Does Sony have the decency to create a console that the average gamer can afford?    Is Sony trying at all to improve their situation, or do they just expect their console to pick up steam on its own?  And how is that strategy working out for them?  The sales gap between the PS3 and 360 is now wider than it was a year ago, not closer. 

And finally, at the risk of being banned, I must ask:  Are you a complete idiot?  It's ok if you are.  I swear that 90% of the people who post on this forum are 12 year olds who haven't bothered to learn how to spell, write, or probably even speak the English language.  It's the same 12 year olds who speculate on all this console war BS and don't have even the slightest concept on how the business world works, how electronics makers make their money, how shareholders view these companies, or how marketers strategize for any of it.  Hell, one of the biggest 360 detractors on this site doesn't even OWN a PS3!!!!  (You know who you are.) 

Again, I'll probably be banned or something for saying all this, but at least I got to say it first.  I actually think the PS3 is a great console.  If the price comes down a bit, it should sell like hot cakes.  But I have never seen a single console generate such absolute jerk hole moron fanboys.  It used to get bad back in the days of Sega vs. Nintendo, but the retardation was nothing like what it is today.  Probably because there was no internet.  But here's your wake up call:  the console war is mostly fought amongst nerds on the internet.  And it doesn't mean anything, because nobody will ever even agree on how to determine the winner.  If this generation ended right now, would the Wii win because of amazing hardware sales?  Well, it has a horrible attach rate, so shouldn't the 360 win?  Maybe not.  Maybe the PS3 should win because.......well at some point there will be a reason people can think of.  (Ok, that was a cheap shot, but I'm angry right now.)

This post has nothing to do with the OP, I know.  I got off on a tangent.  I'm so sick of stupid people.

That's awesome. So you call the guy a 12 year old idiot, and then you say your pissed off by his post. You let a 12 year old idiot get to you? Wow. Also, if you have never seen such fanboy, you should look at MS fanboys (Vista types). They have nothing but a shit whole of an OS to defend, yet they do it with the utmost vigor. It's sad really.

TheRealMafoo said:
Domicinator said:
errorrrr said:

That's awesome. So you call the guy a 12 year old idiot, and then you say your pissed off by his post. You let a 12 year old idiot get to you? Wow. Also, if you have never seen such fanboy, you should look at MS fanboys (Vista types). They have nothing but a shit whole of an OS to defend, yet they do it with the utmost vigor. It's sad really.

What does Vista have to do with anything?  Oh, I know.  You were proven wrong before in this thread, so now you're just taking random pot shots.  You're just as pathetic as the 12 year olds.

Domicinator said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Domicinator said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Domicinator said:
TheRealMafoo said:
This Tuesday Apple announces there new laptop line. Experts think Apple will announce that the new Mac's will come with Blu-ray drives.

When the #2 laptop manufacture in the world jumps on board, it doesn't sound like a dead format.

Yeah, who better to force their users into a technology than Apple?  It's what they excel at.

I think you mean "offer the option", as I am sure the lower end units will only have DVD.

To bad Vista does not offer that option :p At least the 360 will.

I'm not sure what you even mean by that.  Vista is totally capable of BluRay playback/writing.  And I'd venture to say that if there really is a BluRay add on coming out for the 360, it will probably be able to connect to PCs as well.

Show me a link that says vista has support for Blu-Ray.

BluRay playback in Vista requires a third party application such as Nero.  Much like how proper DVD playback in XP often required a third party codec or application to run properly (maybe it doesn't anymore, but it used to).  The Vista-patched version of Nero Ultra definitely supports it, and I have it installed on both my Vista machines.  I don't have a BluRay drive, but it would definitely be supported if I did.

You're getting confused by the fact that WMP doesn't support it right out of the box.  There's a big difference between that and not supporting it at all.

Call MS up and ask them if they support BR. Ask them if they will support an installation of Vista that does not work right, with a BR drive in it.

I can get XP to run on a PS3 (ungodly slow through emulation, just making a point), it doesn't mean MS will support it.

Domicinator said:

What does Vista have to do with anything?

You said "But I have never seen a single console generate such absolute jerk hole moron fanboys. "

Vista is not a console, but it generates the most jerk hole moron fanboys I have ever seen. Far worse then consoles.

I guess what bothers me about it, is while Console fanboys can be very annoying, at least each console has its pluses. I can see why people like each.

Forget about OSX, Windows XP blows Vista away. When MS releases an OS that can't even beat it's predecessor, and then Fanboys go on and on about it... it just makes me wonder what's wrong with the world.