By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-ray could be the next UMD, says MS

TheRealMafoo said:
Snesboy said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

The recession (thanks, lack-of-oversight-during-6-years-of-unified-Republican-rule) will doubtless slow adoption a bit.  Oh well.

Leave your sensationlist bullshit off of the Games Board and bitch in Off Topic. Thank you.

I don't mind the dig at the economy, i just wish he better understood the problem. The issue started with Carter, and then was really put into motion with sub prime lending by the Clinton Administration. All of what is in washington over the last 16 year is crap. But to single out one party is a little naive.

Honestly, the real blame is on the people of the US. We just don't care who we elect anymore.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.  People absolutely do care who they elect.  Chances are that if you vote, you probably care who gets elected.  If you don't vote, then you have no right to bitch about any president.

Around the Network
Domicinator said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Domicinator said:
TheRealMafoo said:
This Tuesday Apple announces there new laptop line. Experts think Apple will announce that the new Mac's will come with Blu-ray drives.

When the #2 laptop manufacture in the world jumps on board, it doesn't sound like a dead format.

Yeah, who better to force their users into a technology than Apple?  It's what they excel at.

I think you mean "offer the option", as I am sure the lower end units will only have DVD.

To bad Vista does not offer that option :p At least the 360 will.

I'm not sure what you even mean by that.  Vista is totally capable of BluRay playback/writing.  And I'd venture to say that if there really is a BluRay add on coming out for the 360, it will probably be able to connect to PCs as well.

Show me a link that says vista has support for Blu-Ray.

Domicinator said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Snesboy said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

The recession (thanks, lack-of-oversight-during-6-years-of-unified-Republican-rule) will doubtless slow adoption a bit.  Oh well.

Leave your sensationlist bullshit off of the Games Board and bitch in Off Topic. Thank you.

I don't mind the dig at the economy, i just wish he better understood the problem. The issue started with Carter, and then was really put into motion with sub prime lending by the Clinton Administration. All of what is in washington over the last 16 year is crap. But to single out one party is a little naive.

Honestly, the real blame is on the people of the US. We just don't care who we elect anymore.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.  People absolutely do care who they elect.  Chances are that if you vote, you probably care who gets elected.  If you don't vote, then you have no right to bitch about any president.

the problem isnt that people dont care who got elected, but that people stop really overseeing elected officials after they were elected.  this let people lie their way into power and gave incumbants (the people who have done the bad things) the advantage as all they had was name recognition on their records.

It didn't start recently, it has been going on for a long time.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Domicinator said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Snesboy said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

lol, if we cared who was going to be elected, we would not have McSame and Nobama as our two candidates for president. It's the most powerful position on the land, and the best we can do is these two people? America aught to be ashamed.

Domicinator said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Snesboy said:
Loud_Hot_White_Box said:

The recession (thanks, lack-of-oversight-during-6-years-of-unified-Republican-rule) will doubtless slow adoption a bit. Oh well.

I don't mind the dig at the economy, i just wish he better understood the problem. The issue started with Carter, and then was really put into motion with sub prime lending by the Clinton Administration. All of what is in washington over the last 16 year is crap. But to single out one party is a little naive.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. People absolutely do care who they elect. Chances are that if you vote, you probably care who gets elected. If you don't vote, then you have no right to bitch about any president.

I don't think the problem is that people don't care about who is president. I think it's that they don't care about the policies of the one they vote for. Too many people just vote democrat or republican because that's what they are registered as. And many people vote without even really knowing who they are voting for (what he stands for, his policies, etc.).

Case in point, my friend is registering to vote in Virginia. I was talking with him about the economic crisis and he told me that he hopes McCain doesn't win because the economy will go down the crapper if he does. I asked him why. He said that some economists think so because of his policies. When I asked him for examples of said policies, he couldn't tell me. I doubt he knows anything about Obama, who he is voting for (other than that Obama is the democratic candidate).

EDIT:  We're getting a little off topic here, aren't we?

Around the Network

lolxD

No, HD-DVD is the next UMD.

DMeisterJ said:
lolxD

No, HD-DVD is the next UMD.

lol, no, HD-DVD is the last UMD :)

Although his wording is extreme, I agree with his general point. Digital downloads ARE the future, it just needs a few more years to develop. During that period I expect Blue-ray to continue to gain market share and surpass DVD in the home movie market. However, it's life and total sales will fall significantly short of DVD.

@ TheRealMafoo

. The issue started with Carter, and then was really put into motion with sub prime lending by the Clinton Administration.

FYI the US' national debt had the biggest decrease under the Clinton administration, the plan was to be debt free by 2013. That would mean the US would have saved huge costs with regard to interest payments. Instead under the Bush administration the US national debt doubled to above 10 trillion (10.000 Billion USD).

President Bush made many incredibly stupid decisions, for instance with regard to allowing people to get too high loans enabling people to own their own (far too expensive for them) houses (he specifically encouraged this!). That's at the core of the current housing problems.

The current situation is so much worse compared to the time when Clinton left office. Some radically unpopular decisions are needed for a new president or else....

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Ender said:

Although his wording is extreme, I agree with his general point. Digital downloads ARE the future, it just needs a few more years to develop. During that period I expect Blue-ray to continue to gain market share and surpass DVD in the home movie market. However, it's life and total sales will fall significantly short of DVD.

IMO digital downloads are part of the future like it was also part of the past. However full quality high definition movies still aren't feasible for digital distribution everywhere around the world. Many people have too slow and unreliable connections or no internet at all around the globe.

The market also is not ready for this. Of course Sony and Microsoft would love to cut out the middleman as much as possible. But most people still greatly prefer physical media for their full quality content (for budget content it's less of an issue). Disc sales are very important to shops and rental services, they are everywhere. Even VGChartz isn't ready for this as it still ignores sales of online distributed console content.

IMO there's room for quality restaurants as well as drive through fast food services.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales