By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will the wii start getting main series instead of spin offs?

For example the new Castlevania has been announce for the HD consoles while the wii is getting Castlevania Judgedment a fighting game or in the case of Soul Calibur that instead of Soul Calibur IV the wii got Soul Calibur legends.I don't understand why? I thought that by this time things would have change but it seems that's not the case.In addition instead of Re5 the wii is getting ports of old resident evil games that have already been remake for the gamecube why realease them again if the wii can play gamecube games?

PS:I think that a long time ago I made the same or similar thread but with the announcement of Castlevania going to the HD consoles I think this pattern hasn't change I would like to know when it will change.

Edit:I forgot to mention that instead of Skate 2 we are getting skate it and there is also a ds version.This is the same approach that square enix has made by announcing echoes of time for both the DS and Wii.So does this means crystal  bearers is going to be cancel?

Around the Network

Maybe with MH3?

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

ctk495 said:

I think that a long time ago I made the same or similar thread but with the announcement of Castlevania going to the HD consoles I think this pattern hasn't change I would like to know when it will change.

It won't.

BringBackChrono said:
Maybe with MH3?

That's the only exeption to the rule that and FF4.

Next tales is confirmed too

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Call me the eternal pessimist but unfortunately I don't see this ever happening.

The recent trend is for developers to see PS360 as one. And a big budget game which is released on PS360 is likely to have much more sales than it would have if released only on Wii. The Wii game would of course cost much less to make but it is seems more risky to release the game on Wii only than on PS360. The other option is to port to the Wii but the weaker specs means this is not always an option. Also the Wii forces developers to be creative and imaginative. With PS360 they can just rely on the technological abilities to sell the game by releasing a pretty game even if they can't come up with imaginative gameplay.

What is clear though is the Wii will definitely have much more exclusives because the cost of making a HD game combined with the relatively low installed based means unless the console maker offers you an incentive to stay exclusive it makes much more sense to release the game on both HD consoles.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

True ,its kind of become a trend, but thats because of the third parties perception of the Wii users demographic. When the install base becomes so large that it becomes obvious that even the serious buyers outnumber the PS3 or 360 user base, this trend should be over. This should come to pass in the next year, imo

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

Sadly it will not happen till 2010 especially even Ninty themselves are doing it porting their GC games with wii controls...

Its profit, its business ports and remakes sell just deal with it...

And about spin off, I think 3rd parties dont do that anymore even Squeenix they developing for the HD consoles instead.

The only 3rd party I've known that making spin offs are Konami with Castlevania Judgement

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

In Japan you're starting to see this happen with Tales and MH3 but for franchises that are bigger in the West than Japan I doubt this will happen at all.

3rd parties are at this point convinced that the core crowd are all getting HD systems (although many also own a Wii). Since that's the market that's been buying those games all these years that's who they'll continue to cater too. Wii's audience is a lot more diversified and that means convincing people to buy instead of relying on a built in audience.  Also Wii is very popular with the ladies a group that generally show little interest with the 'core' games in question.  Again many Wii owners who would be interested in those titles own HD systems anyway.

Hopefully Wii will get more franchises of it's own that cater to it's strength like Conduit and Red Steel 2.  WiiMotionPlus should certainly help in that regard as many of those games we all envisioned can now truly come to fruitition.

yushire said:
The only 3rd party I've known that making spin offs are Konami with Castlevania Judgement

This is amusing because ctk mentions Soul Calibur Legends in the OP.  Did you read it?

Gamerace said:
In Japan you're starting to see this happen with Tales and MH3 but for franchises that are bigger in the West than Japan I doubt this will happen at all.

Hopefully Wii will get more franchises of it's own that cater to it's strength like Conduit and Red Steel 2.

Except that Tales games come to pretty much every system around.  There may as well not even be a "main series" of it. 

Also I don't see shooters really catering to the Wii's strength as a typical shooter is made better by better graphics, more people playing at once, and a strong online mode.  The Wii's IR pointer is the only redeeming feature but the trade off is significant.