By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why games fail at storytelling

I have to mention Molyneux with Fable II. He really knows what gaming is all about.

He really dislikes the cutscene approach to gaming. He designed Fable II so that besides the 90 second intro, the player won't have to endure NOT playing for more that 20 seconds at a time. I think thats brilliant.

He truly wants the story and plot evolve around the gameplay. That's why Fable II is one of my most anticipated games and why I skipped out on MGS4.

Around the Network
chasmatic12 said:
I have to mention Molyneux with Fable II. He really knows what gaming is all about.

He really dislikes the cutscene approach to gaming. He designed Fable II so that besides the 90 second intro, the player won't have to endure NOT playing for more that 20 seconds at a time. I think thats brilliant.

He truly wants the story and plot evolve around the gameplay. That's why Fable II is one of my most anticipated games and why I skipped out on MGS4.

Well, I hope he learned it after 2004, because the first Fable's story, plain and simple, sucked. The game was good, of course, but the story was so horrible and cliched that it was more fun to just wander and do things than to continue the story.

zexen_lowe said:
chasmatic12 said:

Well, I hope he learned it after 2004, because the first Fable's story, plain and simple, sucked. The game was good, of course, but the story was so horrible and cliched that it was more fun to just wander and do things than to continue the story.

While it was a bit cliche, I don't think it was horrible. I really enjoyed Fable despite its shortcomings.

And that's another thing I like about Molyneux, he know when something is wrong with his games. He wasn't thrilled about Fable. Fortunately, he is saying Fable II improves on everything that was wrong with Fable, including the plot.

zexen_lowe said:
chasmatic12 said:

I think the reason why Fable 2 is going to the lack of cutscenes approach is simple:instead of telling a story, Molyneux wants the players to make up their own stories which is bascially the goal of many WRPGs

Paul_Warren said:

I think all the games in my three favorite series: MGS, RE, and FF all excell at storytelling.
I would even put Kojima's best right up there with the best of such widely acclaimed graphic novelists as Frank Miller.

I do think Japanese games tend to have better stories than American games because of the way that education works in both countries. The Japanese education program seems to create better all-around students; while in the West, there is much more emphasis upon increasing students ability to do well in one particular area once their strongest points are discovered and this could have quite a bit to do with the quality of storytelling in Western games whose storylines at best only tend to rise to the level of Sci-Fi channel Saturday night movies because the ones with the know how to create computer games aren't English lit majors while the ones writing the best novels -- Stephen King -- don't have that much experience with programming computers.

The best stories in Western games that I've seen during this generation are Ratchet and Clank Future, Uncharted, and Heavenly Sword.

Did you even read the article? His point, and its a good one, is that MGS, RE and FF (and their ilk) don't tell the story through the game, but through cut scenes. He's drawing a line between "FVII" the video game, in which you do things that matter, and "FFVII" the movie, in which you lose control over your character and story. The game has no effect on the story, and the story only adds context to the game.

I would say BioWare has been brilliant at being able to tell stories within the game. In fact, I just finished replaying Baldur's Gate I, and am in the middle of BGII. Your actions have actual consequences that are not predetermined. You may progress as hero or villain, or something in between. Most quests have multiple outcomes. NPCs can be influenced and guided by you in the game. Cut scenes are rare (and usually used to show something outside you character's POV). This has been true of every BW game I've ever played, and they all excel in telling story without breaking the illusion of player control over the story.

Around the Network
Millennium said:
Evocation said:

Ah, but whats the difference between my charater saying" ok, i'll go run along now and kill the big bad thing" and him saying nothing..

I'll still get pushed fowards to killthe big bad, it make no difference if i fill in the convo with my thought of telling the person to take a jump or gun ho.

Gameplay and storys no matter which way are almost impossible to tell a sotry though, because it's visual, text and sound by which we get the story.

If your saying Games just souldn't tell storys, then you just end up with MMORPG's >.>

If these are the only ways you absorb the story from the game -and, for that matter, if you require all three to have any effect on you- then you really do deserve pity. You're missing out on so much; so much, all because you either lack the capacity for or have not developed skill in using your own imagination. It's basically the same general idea as reading comprehension, only applied to other media: games, movies, music, or whatever. It's a skill. Learn it, and you will experience gaming (or other media, as appropriate) on levels you've never dreamed of.

Games should tell stories. But they need to tell stories like games. Movie-based games and game-based movies never turn out well, because they're trying to tell a story designed for one medium in another.

Well other then insulting my apparent lack of imagination, you still haven't said anything. You haven't stated what this more is? The only way to tell a story is though comunication.

These game generally are not our games, they're someone else's game that they let us play, these are not our storeys, they're a story someone else is telling.

If I want to use my imagination with a game, I make my own then my imagination actually matters. Fact is I can Imagen anything i want with someone else's game, it doesn't change anything.

And still it doesn't really say how game telling should work, it just says it doesn't like pre defined characters and cut scenes.

On baldur's gate, much as I love it, that game fails at what it tries to do, try being a complete bad as villain in the game and it's almost impossible with the guards and you still have to do some quests which always contradict which way you play. added to the fact that all advents still lead to the same conclusion it's just an illusion of choice which is what all games really have.

Fable 1 imo also had a great illusion, I went from being a evil mage to a paladin to a ranger by the end of the game, which took away from the whole sence of my actions really mattered and defined my game

people should realize once and for all that videogames are FOR PLAYING. Not storytelling. The story is just an excuse to involve the user in the game not backwards.

Games are not art. They are entertainment. They can have "artistic" stuff but that's it. They may become art one day but not copying another one (filmmaking).

I am happy that the cinematic era is coming to an end. It was about time.

The cinematic era isn't coming to an end though.

cwbys21 said:
The cinematic era isn't coming to an end though.

Do you guys really expect every game to use the same type of story telling as Half Life, especially Japanese developed games? As much as I like for video games to be considered an art form, they aren't. They are entertainment. Gameplay is a bigger concern than how a story is told. Even if a game's story was a literary masterpiece, if that same game isn't very enjoyable when it comes to gameplay, then I will not continue to play it. The writer of the article is entitled to his own opinion but he shouldn't have to force us to chance other peoples' opinions. Therefore, as long as the game is ultimately fun enough to play, then I don't care if a game's story is progressed with or without cutscenes.

Bobbuffalo said:

I am happy that the cinematic era is coming to an end. It was about time.

Firstly, the cinematic era ain't going nowhere, MGS4 released this year, and more and more games with good stories will come out. Who's to say that is coming to an end because some dude from a website said so?

Bobbuffalo said:
people should realize once and for all that videogames are FOR PLAYING. Not storytelling. The story is just an excuse to involve the user in the game not backwards.

Games are not art. They are entertainment. They can have "artistic" stuff but that's it. They may become art one day but not copying another one (filmmaking).

People shouldn't realize anything because there's no only way to make videogames. There'll be games with zero stories which rely only on their gameplay (which to me feel a bit incomplete). And there'll be games which merge great gameplay with an ellaborate, complex (and, if you want, non-interactive) story. I've been enjoying them since I played my first JRPG, and I'd take them any game over a game with no story.