By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Blu-ray discs to overtake DVDs, Disney says

http://www.contentagenda.com/articleXml/LN864670077.html

Walt Disney Co., the second-largest U.S. media company, forecast sales of high-definition Blu-ray discs in the U.S. will overtake DVDs within two years.

Consumers will adopt the new technology "much sooner than we think," David Jessen, Disney vice-president of Blu-ray and DVD creative production, said in an interview. "It's right on the verge of becoming really big in the U.S., where in two years Blu-ray will eclipse DVDs."

In February, the Blu-ray disc technology won against Toshiba Corp.'s HD DVD, setting the new high-definition standard in the entertainment industry's largest format war since VHS beat Betamax in the 1980s. Blu-ray discs can store 50 gigabytes of data, about six times more than conventional DVDs.

Disney is releasing classic movies including Sleeping Beauty this month in the Blu-ray format to encourage consumers to start using the new technology.

The film is the first release to include the BD-Live network system, enabling viewers in different locations to chat and create communities while watching the same movie, Disney said.

Shopping for HD-TVs and Blu-ray players will help the technology "take off big" after the holiday season, Jessen said. "Prices of HD-TVs are coming down everywhere" and those of Blu-ray discs "will also drop as mass adoption takes over."

===

So there is another opinion, this time from someone in the industry.

PSN - hanafuda

Around the Network

in other news wishing on a star with a cricket near you still does not make wishes true

Jobs, is on their board, and he has not seen fit to make macs blue ray equiped despite being on the blue ray consortium too. so until the jobs decideds its worth while i have little faith it it, even less when iorn man only managed over 500k

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

well it doesn't look too likely right now

Two years? That is very very very very optimistic.

does this mean KH3 goes to PS3??

:)...j/k before soriku comes & kills me

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

@Doats1

20% of the market share for iron man goes to blu-ray, thats very significant, even if its just for a week(not saying its just for a week in terms of legs, just in case).

Random Rant:

Disney=Kingdm hearts=Square=Quality art= HD console release

simple math =p

mM

not impossible, wouldnt be surprised this became tru

this is kinda like when dvd came out and was $200-500, and it was going against VHS. looks like DVD won, but i dont know if blu-ray will win or dvd...

leo-j said:
@Doats1

20% of the market share for iron man goes to blu-ray, thats very significant, even if its just for a week(not saying its just for a week in terms of legs, just in case).

Random Rant:

simple math =p

Because all games before the HD generation weren't quality. (o_0)

Uhhhh....dont get me wrong, Blu-Ray is awesome, but 2 years. Lets wait for the adoption rate of HDTV's to come up a bit more first, then worry about Blu-Ray player penetration and disk sales. I give Mickey's prediction 3-4 years at best.

leo-j said:
@Doats1

Random Rant:

simple math =p

for the first week of release. not life time.