By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square Kicks Off TGS at 9PM EST (GMT -5), followed by Microsoft

Waa isn't there on behalf of SE, so don't expect him to really announce anything...

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

Carry over from previous page:

Most recent:
20:30 -- Garnett: That's a pretty strong lineup of classics.

20:26 -- Garnett: New arcade games are coming to Live arcade: Space Invaders Extreme. Arkanoid Live, with coop and versus modes

20:25 -- Garnett: Note that the word "exclusive" has NOT been used, but I think you definitely can consider it another strong move for 360 to secure that they get these titles that formerly were key PlayStation exclusives.

20:23 -- Garnett: Yeah, you heard me correctly, Tekken 6, Xbox 360, fall 2009.

20:22 -- Garnett: Ninety-Nine Nights 2 is coming exclusively to 360, and now there's another surprise announcement.

20:21 -- Garnett: Now they're showing RE5 with far more than we've seen before. No, it's not all in a dusty village. They're fighting a boss who reminds me a lot of the Tyrant from 3 n some sort of secret lab. The trailer ended with a shot of Jill Valentine's tombstone! Check out the new RE5 trailer for yourself right here.

20:19 -- Garnett:When you get to see the video check out the weapon and spell effects during battle. The world map parts, particularly when he's running into the city, had an undeniable Final Fantasy feel to them.

20:15 -- Garnett: Just saw the first bits of in-game and it looks good. Game will debut 2/19 in Japan; 3/3 in North America.

20:13 -- Garnett: Oh shit, the Star Ocean CG is hot.

20:12 -- Garnett: Yay, About to show the Star Ocean trailer!!!

20:10 -- Garnett: The flow of this morning's keynotes is really quite remarkable. We started with a dissection of the changing of the guard in games. The panel spoke to how thinking globally presents a number of challenges ranging far beyond simply the development to areas such as srt design and marketing. And now Schappert is making what amounts to a sales pitch for the 360 as a new place for Japanese devs to move forward

20:07 -- Garnett: And now John Schappert has taken the stage promoting that Last Remnant makes its exclusive premier on 360 and is indicative of the 360 development emphasis here.

20:06 -- Garnett: And we're back. This intermission is much more exciting with a trailer for Last Remnant being shown.

19:25 -- Garnett: Wrapping up the keynote, I found it an interesting sort of admission in public of things we've all been saying for some time, and it shouldn't be underestimated how big a deal that is for the Japanese. At the same time, based on the opening remarks, I feel like it needed to be a stronger call to arms for the development community here.

19:21 -- Sam: Just FYI, execs from Square Enix, Capcom, and Namco Bandai are on stage talking about the games market. It's mainly stuff that you'd expect -- they're talking about whether the current financial market problems will affect gaming (they think games are pretty immune to it, thankfully) and how to reach a wider, global audience. Nothing really surprising. This'll probably go on for another 15 or 20 minutes, I'd imagine, so you may want to take a break and go to the bathroom or something. Garnett just did.

19:09 -- Garnett: Wada has concluded and there's going to be a short break before a panel discussion. We'll be back in a bit with more.

Will update this post with additional stuff so you don't have to jump back and forth.

Shadowblind said:
Xen said:
Everstar said:
So i dont get it something is wrong with the video game industry in Japan?

Good morning.

Bah, let Wada preach about Japan getting behind the Western world. As long as games like Ninja Gaiden 2, Final Fantasy XIII, Star Ocean, Tales of Vesperia, WKC ect. are still coming out from our friends in the East, I'll say hes full of BS.

The question is, for how long? if Japan stops releasing quality games, I'm quitting gaming. There has already been a huge decrease in JRPG's compared to last gen, what next?

I just noticed that I barely own any western developed games.

Xen said:
Everstar said:

Good morning.

Well whats wrong with it?

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Everstar said:
Xen said:
Everstar said:

Good morning.

Well whats wrong with it?

The fact that the audience in Japan is shrinking, for one... that's very negative for the industry.

Around the Network

Kotaku is live blogging the panel discussion:
http://kotaku.com/5060861/tgs-opening-keynote-liveblog-square-enix

"Final Fantasy is a genre," says Wada.

Wow, pretty arrogant there, eh Wada.

The Kotaku blog is the best. It's similar to the one VGC used at E3.

I want to see the bar graphs for Capcom, SE and Namco about overseas sales.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Major Nelson is using Cover it Live for Microsoft:
http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/10/08/tgs-live-blog.aspx

I'm not liking where this is going... Looks like PS3 is going downhill... And that they're going to start producing other genres more often now... >_

Currently playing: Marvel vs. Capcom 3, League of Legends