By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is 2008 the year of PS3

honestly these threads are starting to get annoying

if you were talking about in terms of quality i would be willing to listen, but when it comes to sales its just a bad joke. im sorry god of war 3 and final fantasy XIII will never in a million years be able to compete with the sales of wii fit and Mariokart wii, like it or not, the ps3 doesn't even control the core gamer market its neck and neck with the 360 and actually believe it or not to some degree the wii is comepetition, the kid gamers arent going to go buy killzone there going to buy punch out and animal crossing, casuals might look at little big planet and gran turismo 5 but not when its on a 400 dollar console, especially with the weak economy putting out 400 dollars on a console might not even be an option, even if the ps3 dropped to 300 it would still loose to the wii for total sales next year

Around the Network
saxophonehero said:
Domicinator said:
The PS3 has not closed the sales gap at all, in fact it's widening again. So no, it doesn't look like 2008 is the year of the PS3 unless they pull a price cut.

i am sorry to tell you this but the ps3 had made the gap alot closer than early 2008. But i do have high hopes for the ps3 in 2009

Maybe you should do some research because your flat out wrong.

Domicinator said:
ceaser92 said:
Domicinator said:
The PS3 has not closed the sales gap at all, in fact it's widening again. So no, it doesn't look like 2008 is the year of the PS3 unless they pull a price cut.

get ur facts straight first the ps3 actually outsold the 360 this year and will do better this holiday and QUOTE ME the 360 will never beat the ps3 in yearly sales in Hardware

Yeah, and where is Sony now?  Still about 5.5 million units behind the 360 and not currently gaining any ground after the 360 price cut and the strong holiday lineup in the pipeline.  So yes, you're right, the PS3 had a strong first half, but any gains it made have been negated at this point.

I wouldn't go that far as to say Negated,maybe halted until the Christmas period. But still, last holiday PS3 was closer to 7.5M back. So at 5.5M, i doubt the other 2 Million consoles have been negated by a few weeks over the summer and Sept.

With how the PS3 has done in 2008, I think I would call it a very successful year, considering how far the PS3 has come. If a substantial price cut comes in 2009, I could see that being the year of the PS3......we shall see.

MS is doing awesome this Gen and the 360 has proven its an amazing console.

Wii signified the return of Nintendo as a gaming powerhouse, and it doesnt look to be slowing down anytime soon.

2008 was the year of the PS3,They stopped sluggish sales and really kicked Xbox 360 but for a while.

Around the Network
ceaser92 said:

get ur facts straight first the ps3 actually outsold the 360 this year and will do better this holiday and QUOTE ME the 360 will never beat the ps3 in yearly sales in Hardware

Well, except for 2007 (and 2006):

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 06th Jan 2007 to 29th Dec 2007:

Console PS3 X360
Total
America
Japan
Total Others

Hey, you did say to quote you!

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

We all know 2009 will be the Wii-year.

Idante said:

if you were talking about in terms of quality i would be willing to listen, but when it comes to sales its just a bad joke. im sorry god of war 3 and final fantasy XIII will never in a million years be able to compete with the sales of wii fit and Mariokart wii, like it or not, the ps3 doesn't even control the core gamer market its neck and neck with the 360 and actually believe it or not to some degree the wii is comepetition, the kid gamers arent going to go buy killzone there going to buy punch out and animal crossing, casuals might look at little big planet and gran turismo 5 but not when its on a 400 dollar console, especially with the weak economy putting out 400 dollars on a console might not even be an option, even if the ps3 dropped to 300 it would still loose to the wii for total sales next year

I'm 18 years old, I own all three consoles, and I'll be buying Animal Crossing and not Killzone.  Just sayin...

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I don't think it has been the year of the PS3 as people were predicting it. It will not be the top selling system, and only a couple of very high profile titles are going to make it out. The best thing the PS3 can claim this year, is that it has made its mark. Doom and gloom time is over, and now Sony can just worry about profits. They have gained enough of an install base to keep devs interested, and they can reach the numbers they need on big exclusives.

It is hard to tell if PS3 will ever have its own year of topping the charts, but it is a machine that is very capable of doing so. The next two years are its best oppertunities. If Sony is able to actually get the games out that were supposed to be out this year, and some even as far back as 2007, then they have a nice shot next year. It is going to take a price drop, and continued move to Blu-ray by both retailer and consumer. Next year it will be nearly imposible to pick up a non lcd, plasma, or rear projection TV. Many retailers will begin to reduce there floor space for DVD, and increasing their Blu-ray stock. I know many believe this won't effect PS3, 360, or Wii sales, and that is possible. IMO the general consumer will make the move over to Blu-ray, and this can only be a benifit to the PS3.

So my closing statment is. This year was not the year of the PS3 people hyped it up to be. The system still has better years ahead, and a good shot at getting the top honors in a future year. HDTV, and Blu-ray are going to be the future of how we veiw entertainment even if some don't want to believe so. As retail limits the avalibilty of DVD and offers more Blu-ray consumers will make the switch. An average consumer is not going to start buying movies off the internet. They will make the move as is required to keep the economy healthy.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

thekitchensink said:
Idante said:

I'm 18 years old, I own all three consoles, and I'll be buying Animal Crossing and not Killzone.  Just sayin...

I'M 18!!! I'M A MAN!!!!!!!!! (that's from Oklahoma St. coach from those that don't know, I couldn't resist) you shouldn't buy animal crossing(gay) buy killzone.

Fact: Earthbound is the greatest game ever made