By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is 2008 the year of PS3

I think Sony really did a great job this year turning things around for the PS3, I personally didn't think the PS3 would really put the 360 in it's place til the 4th quarter of 2008. Mainly because most of the GIANT games in the first half of 2008 were multiplatform games and the 3rd quarter was unimpressive at best. Of coarse I think the PS3 has a much stronger line-up against the 360 and Wii. I do vote that 2009 is an even better year for PS3, I even predict by April 09 the PS3 will surpass the 360 in worldwide sales. The gap between the PS3 and Wii will also drop. I see Sony wanting to build on the success of holiday 08 with a price drop around the time of KillZone 2's release.

Around the Network

this year will be the year of the Wii then PS3 then x360.

Next year the ps3 sales are going to explode so that is going to be a very interesting year.

lol @ Soriku, i am going to hold you to that one mate. I really do hope that you are wrong on that one.

Another to remember is the Holiday season is here. PS3 has the better line-up. At the same time 2008 isn't over yet.

what ever year GRAN TURISMO 5 hit = the year of the PS3
2008 is a great year for PS3 so far...thanks to MGS4,GT5Prologue(not full game)

leo-j said:
Soriku said:
Considering the PS3 will never be at top...no year will be the year of the PS3.

Im going to quote you on that soriku, in any case in terms of games, the PS3 has had the most quality titles release this year than any other console so far, and its true, I mean GTA IV, GT5 Prolauge, DMC4, MGS4, Wipe out HD, Ratchet quest for booty, and tons more I really havent looked into.

Hmmm, DMC 4 and GTA IV was also on Xbox 360. Don't forget these 360 exclusives: Ninja Gaiden II, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, and at some extent Too Human and Infinite Undiscovery, etc.

The holiday line-up is almost as strong with titles like Halo Wars, Fable 2, Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3, etc.

Don't forget XBLA, with titles like Galaga Legions, Castle Crashers, Soul Calibur, etc.

It really depends on what genre you're looking for. There's a lot of diversity for both consoles, and everyone has to agree.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Around the Network

At this point last year everyone was saying how they thought 2007 was going to be the "year of the PS3" but now it looked like 2008 was going to be the "year of the PS3" ... Realistically, I don't see any (business) reason why the PS3 would receive better support from third party publishers than the XBox 360 or Wii in the (near) future so I wouldn't expect a "year of the PS3"

Domicinator said:
The PS3 has not closed the sales gap at all, in fact it's widening again. So no, it doesn't look like 2008 is the year of the PS3 unless they pull a price cut.

get ur facts straight first the ps3 actually outsold the 360 this year and will do better this holiday and QUOTE ME the 360 will never beat the ps3 in yearly sales in Hardware

Tridrakious said:
I think Sony really did a great job this year turning things around for the PS3, I personally didn't think the PS3 would really put the 360 in it's place til the 4th quarter of 2008. Mainly because most of the GIANT games in the first half of 2008 were multiplatform games and the 3rd quarter was unimpressive at best. Of coarse I think the PS3 has a much stronger line-up against the 360 and Wii. I do vote that 2009 is an even better year for PS3, I even predict by April 09 the PS3 will surpass the 360 in worldwide sales. The gap between the PS3 and Wii will also drop. I see Sony wanting to build on the success of holiday 08 with a price drop around the time of KillZone 2's release.

So the PS3 will outsell the 360 (which it's currently losing to in weekly sales) by 785,000 a month until April 1.  Or, if you were being generous to the 360, it'll outsell it by 687,500 a month until April 31.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

certainly not,especially with Gears Of War 2 and Fable 2 coming,and a recent price cut, It is likely that 360 will exceed PS3 for the rest of the year
but 2009 will most likely be the year of PS3 because of Killzone2 and not a single exclusive big game announced for 360
but to be honest,it will take PS3 two years to exceed 360's worldwide sales if ps3's weekly sales is always 50,000 more than 360's one for the following two years. Judging from the situation now, the ps3 fans will probably wait longer than two years to see their PS3s win the console war

ceaser92 said:
Domicinator said:
The PS3 has not closed the sales gap at all, in fact it's widening again. So no, it doesn't look like 2008 is the year of the PS3 unless they pull a price cut.

get ur facts straight first the ps3 actually outsold the 360 this year and will do better this holiday and QUOTE ME the 360 will never beat the ps3 in yearly sales in Hardware

Yeah, and where is Sony now?  Still about 5.5 million units behind the 360 and not currently gaining any ground after the 360 price cut and the strong holiday lineup in the pipeline.  So yes, you're right, the PS3 had a strong first half, but any gains it made have been negated at this point.