By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are so many American games so up in arms against piracy?

Mendicate Bias said:
superchunk said:
Mendicate Bias said:
Hawk said:

That's just it. You are completely wrong in that statement. Its a ripple effect. Just as the store is hurt as the loss builds up as more items are stolen, so to is the game dev or music writer. Eventually the losses get to the point where the publisher or development house can't afford 15 programmers and decide to fire a couple. Then those families are f'ed until they can find new work.

You are just being naive. Any money lost in large enough amounts affects everyone; and first to go are those that need those jobs and that income the most.

EDIT: Spend 2yrs making something with your own investment and then watch 1/3rd of people just walk up and take it for free before you pass judgement.

Being poor doesn't mean you should get anything but education and medicine for free. A game is far from a life necessity.

You missed the whole point I'm trying to make, the publishers aren't losing anything because even if that particular consumer wanted to they couldn't afford the game. Yes piracy sucks and everyone should buy their products, but prices should also be scaled accordingly. Scaling software prices is a synch when compared to hardware (although consoles are a different story).

Also thats ignoring countries like Iran who don't even get legitimate copies of games sent to them and have to pirate games if they want to play them.

If I made an entertainment product and was selling it in both America and Iran then I would adjust my prices accordingly for both countries and offer the consumer incentives for not pirating otherwise I would be foolish not to expect getting pirated.

Like I said before stop looking at it in black and white and pay attention to the shades of grey

AND, (to add to my post at the end of the previous page) do you have any friends that had to work their way out of a bad situation?  Had to work their way out of poverty?  People who do that have to WORK for it.  To get a better life, they have to work hard for it.  Spending your time pirating software, living off of other people, who are earning their keep, is NOT how you improve your life.  And people who say "Yes, it's ok to widdle your time away on software you stole, on luxuries, rather than try to make your situation better" do not help them.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Around the Network
c0rd said:

@Hawk: I had a real big response, but decided it wasn't really worth it. Basically, the whole piracy=bad is all under the premise that capitalism is fair, when I don't think it is. Piracy just evens the playing field a bit. If one worked real hard all their life, maybe they do deserve a Ferrarri. As long as it can be copy + pasted into their garage...

@crumas2: Sorry... I'm having trouble understanding that response. What makes the pirates capable of selling their goods when the company can't? I'm no business expert, so if I'm missing something obvious let me know.

The answer is fairly simple.  The company(ies) that produced/published the game spent perhaps $10-30 m (staff costs, systems costs, support costs, facilities costs, packaging/distribution/marketing/etc.).  The pirate has no costs other than what he/she expended to acquire a copy of the game and duplicate it.

@Soleron: Yeah, isn't it strange how many communists we have in this thread.

@Onyxmeth: Ok, thanks. I don't personally have the experience, it was just an impression that i've got from peoples talks.

@Mendicate: Ok, so you wou,d price your product accordingly. But how'd you do that? Explain all the phases you need to do. Besides, Iran in general isn't too appealing to trade with, due to being in the US blacklist (although, this doesn't mean all the products).
I do agree that the publisher should work on their businessmodels and make atleast budget releases from platinum sellers, but then you'd need region locks (from which people tend to complain).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Something I see neglected in here is the fact that some people buy hardware because they know that they can modify it to play copied games. A large part of their reasoning for paying asking price for the hardware is that they don't need to purchase games so there is no ongoing cost. If you somehow make systems unhackable, I have hard time believing these people who previously only bought the hardware would suddenly become software consumers.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

ameratsu said:
Something I see neglected in here is the fact that some people buy hardware because they know that they can modify it to play copied games. A large part of their reasoning for paying asking price for the hardware is that they don't need to purchase games so there is no ongoing cost. If you somehow make systems unhackable, I have hard time believing these people who previously only bought the hardware would suddenly become software consumers.

It wouldn't matter much.  Most of the profits for Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, etc. come from software, not hardware.  And most developers aren't directly affected by hardware sales at all.

Around the Network
Fayceless said:
Riachu said:
xman said:
Piracy is stealing do you think its ok to go into your local wal mart find a copy of mercanareis 2 put it under your coat and walk out?

If someone really tried to do that wouldn't the alarms go off when they try to exit the store.  Also, that glass case that Walmart have the games in is there for a reason.

He wasn't asking "would it be easy?" he's asking "would it be ethical?"

Thanks and using wal mart as an example so you stole the key from a wal mart employee and then took it into the bathroom to take out the alarm pad, its stealing I teach my kids that is wrong

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

ameratsu said:

This is true and while i am no hardware wiz, i'd imagine making an unhackable system is close to impossible.  I'd also make the point that someone who can afford to purchase the system in the first place can't be so poor that it makes piracy a necessity to play games.

Without piracy, Microsoft wouldn't be where it is now.

If it's harming you, and you can't get rid of it. Figure out a way to turn things around and make it work for you.