By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Which will sell more hardware Fable 2 or Little big planet?

Skeeuk said:
i dont think fable 2 to be a system seller, halo 3 wasnt, gta4 wasnt, i see no reason why fable 2 will do it.

lbp will on the other hand be a system seller, but i feel its a kind of title that will have very good legs and will keep selling.

No idea why you say Halo 3 wasn't a system seller. Take a look at the numbers. Sept 16th 07, Sept 23rd, 07. Xbox 360 was sitting at 166, 137 units sold. From Sept 23rd, 07 (The release week of halo 3). That number jumped to 232, 456 and remained high well into the early week of october. Feels like a system pusher to me.

With that aside, I do feel fable 2 will sell well. I don't think it'll beat out LBP though. Sony is advertising LittleBigPlanet like crazy, sackboy is the new mascot and to be honest. Fable wasn't that great of a RPG back in the xbox days.

I'm going with LBP beating out fable 2, both in week-to-week and life time.

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?

Around the Network

A mere month of good sales is nothing, just like now with the pricecut. Halo 3 did push sales in consoles but declined 3-4 weeks later. Did it help to push sales in Xmas 07 to beat overall sales of PS3? no. People probably back then bet that Halo 3 will help boost its sales for the whole Christmas as its ace in the hole to save the system, but it only lasted for one month before dropping. We talking about consistency and maintaining the sales to keep it high without it dropping at a substantial rate.

With the bundles and everything coming out for LBP, you bet its going to sell consoles. Hey, does Fable 2 have a bundle pack? I don't remember hearing them having one.

release week will probably be bigger for fable2 cause its an existing ip, over time i think lbp might sell more software depending how much advertising and media coverage it gets.
on hardware sales i doubt that fable 2 will do too much, lbp with bundles in eu and japan should boost hardware there (especially in japan with 80gb release) but in the us without bundles i doubt it will do too much (but it should stop the slow decrease in ps3 numbers and give it a small bump upwards).

anyway these 2 games are the starters for the bigger releases after a rather dry period (besides the sport games there was not much in the last months) so we might see bigger boosts than expected.

fayewong said:
I think LBP will sell more, why? Cause its not a cheap knockoff like Sims.

What an ignorant comment that was for you to say. Are you trying to start a flamewar?

Let me set a few more ignorances straight:

1. How the hell do you people know how to use the Internet, yet not realize that it is entirely possible, and usually probable that a game's sequel will outsell the original?

2. Fable isn't a continuing story. It's like Final Fantasy. Also, it's quite different from the sims, which you'd know if you ever played the first one...but the quandry is that knowing what you are talking about would require you to technically be...not ignorant.

3. ...and this is mostly directed at Flagship and fayewong...more people bought the 360 this week worldwide and in every major area, than bought the PS3. Same as last week. The reason no one buys 360 anymore is because people DO still buy the 360, and you have just made an ignorant, and factually incorrect assumption.

I don't know how you ignoramousi manage to adjust the argument when it doesn't fit your points of anti-360 foeboyism, but know this:

Go pull that crap on Kotaku. We're a genius level blog. We would prefer to manage without your ignorant slander and biases cluttering up our board, flamebaiting our fanboys, and misrepresenting the facts while fooling no one, especially not anyone who matters.

Now, continue your arguments with this post in mind.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I don't think either is a big hardware mover but maybe LBP (not that it will push a ton of consoles or anything).

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Around the Network

Back on topic here, my answer is Fable 2 first month, tie first 6 months, LTD LBP. It'll be a bitter victory, as many topics claiming ownage of LBP will be created if indeed Fable 2 does outsell LBP.

The wildcard here is Japan. That makes the question unpredictable. It's fairly certain that Fable 2 will reach at least 75% of the original's sales, however with the fairly large ad campaign(via commercials that I'm sure no Sony fanboy, or undercover-Sony fanboy in disguise, has ever seen on television via anecdotal evidence), a decent following after the first game, and an ad spot on nearly every hard-drive sold since E3 last year. My guess is it would meet the sales of the first game, but be hampered by other big releases like Fallout 3, which while great, will do worse numbers on the 360 than Fable, simply due to being a multiplat, and the fact that Fable is a fresher IP(which means its last itteration came out sooner), as well as it getting a week jump on launch, which is also an advantage.

I'd assume LBP would also be affected by Fallout 3 sales, yet while you spout things about demographic, I would easily argue that there is no demographics on the PS3. The userbase is 90 percent core gamers who had a PS2, and loved it, 1 percent casuals, and 9 percent Blu-Ray players. Yeah, I pulled those numbers out of my ass, and that is just my opinion, but it's right, so just argue amongst yourselves.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I've played it, it wasn't anything like Final Fantasy at all. I own an Xbox too. It seemed boring so I quit, but from watching the video promoting the game.. it does sound like it. Some people even said it too, this is not just me.

Spare me with your fanboyism lectures please.

fayewong said:
I've played it, it wasn't anything like Final Fantasy at all. I own an Xbox too.

Then was it like the Sims.....yeesh!

I mean it was like Final Fantasy in that it doesn't have a continuing story, and in fact is only set in the same mythical world(well, it's actually set in the same physical world also, but more than 1 Final Fantasy game has been set in Ivalice).

Anyway, yes, while I can't say that I care if you own an Xbox or not, I would just like to ask you what the hell you think that proves?

NO NO, NO NO NO.

It proves nothing but sheds light that if I was a fanboy as you would label me as. I wouldn't own (or admit about owning) the system in the first place. In the name of fanboyism pride!

But thanks for telling us about the game and its nice features. Will get more people into it.

LBP will be hard pressed to sell $399/$499 PS3s

The game may appeal to casuals, but the price tag won't.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire