By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - ... And there it is. Mario Kart Wii just caught up to Halo 3.

Quick microsoft. Bundle halo 3 with every 360 you sell!!11

Around the Network
Veggie said:

And with Europe updating today, Wii Fit and Mario Kart move ahead.

An event unfathomable by hardcore gamers and elitist media prior to the start of last year.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

code.samurai said:
fastyxx said:
But a year after launch, at least 1 in 8 Halo 3 players play online in a given week, whereas there are a lot of sad little Marios sitting on people's shelves less than a year in. I like Galaxy a lot. Mario Kart is fun but I don't care much. It's disposable - nothing too new or exciting there.

But I'd much rather have a game that is tweaked monthly and regularly expanded/updated and regularly played for months and months and months after launch than a game that sells more but whose pre user lifespan is limited. It's a better blueprint for the future of gaming. See Burnout Paradise on both PS3 and 360 for a similar good buy for consumers.

Having Halo 3 be a bigger seller would be better for gamers in that respect.

But whatever. Like most of the discussions we get all worked over on this site, it don't matter at all.

I guess that's what hardcore gamers nowadays have been reduced to, sad people with no one to play with at home.   Sad, really.  Games like MarioKart typically caters to those who actually play with people face to face.   Makes you less miserable on those lonely days.

You are kidding right?
You do know there are many online MK and SSBB games played aswell, including this site's community.

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

TWRoO said:
fastyxx said:
trestres said:
It was a matter of seconds until haters started to say MKWii is a POS and blah blah blah.

I don't get the sudden hate when game A passes game B. Calm down, specially fastyxx.

Wow. I touched some kind of nerve on the Wii fascists with my comment.  Who the hell's hating on Mario Kart?  I just bought it, with a freaking wheel. 

I was just making the point that Halo 3 has longer legs for more users than Kart does.  Not "I'll pull it out every now and then" legs but actual obsessive playing legs. 

And whoever was saying COD4 > Halo 3, that' s besides the point.  COD4 is similar to argumetn about Halo and why it's a good thing if a game like that is the top selling game.  NOT because they are both shooters, but because they are both supported well (though I would argue in terms of support by the devs, Halo is WAY beyond COD4.  Activision can't wait to put a fork in COD4 so people will buy World at War).

The point of my comment is not that Galaxy or Kart is bad.  They are both fun.  But they are limited experiences.  Online Kart would be better if it had Live/PSN capabilities, DLC new tracks, etc. etc. etc.   That was the only point to it.  It's not a Halo>Mario thread.  They are two totally different things.

I have 3 good responses for you:

1. I guess X360 gamers don't have any other good games to play, that's why all they do is play Halo.

2. So you think that a group of gamers who only play 1 game is a good thing for gaming?

3. I'd like to see you prove Halo 3 has more users per week now than Mario Kart, in fact I'd say online users alone MKWii is probably equalling Halo 3, but with Halo I bet 90% plus of those who played in the last week were online, whereas Mario Kart's online community is probably only 40% of the total players.

So what is the proof for your statements? You disagree with the previous poster who did not utilize proof, but proceed to make assumptions in your own opinion. 

How can the online communities equal out and only have 40% of MK owners play online versus 90% of H3 online when Kart just passed Halo now?

There is nothing wrong with playing a game a lot, it proves it was a well decided purchase.  Don't spin long-replayibilty into a negative.

BILL COSBY!!! said:
In my opinion this is a sad day for gaming.

Suddenly, your sig is so apropos.

Around the Network
flames_of said:
TWRoO said:
fastyxx said:
trestres said:

3. I'd like to see you prove Halo 3 has more users per week now than Mario Kart, in fact I'd say online users alone MKWii is probably equalling Halo 3, but with Halo I bet 90% plus of those who played in the last week were online, whereas Mario Kart's online community is probably only 40% of the total players.

So what is the proof for your statements? You disagree with the previous poster who did not utilize proof, but proceed to make assumptions in your own opinion. 

How can the online communities equal out and only have 40% of MK owners play online versus 90% of H3 online when Kart just passed Halo now?

There is nothing wrong with playing a game a lot, it proves it was a well decided purchase.  Don't spin long-replayibilty into a negative.

I don't agree with TWRoO's statistic, simply because we don't know any figures to make assumptions, however i can explain to you how those % could be true (in that they aren't unrealistic based off your comment)

He is suggesting that 90% of the people who STILL PLAY halo 3, not own halo 3, are playing it primarily online, while 10% play offline... and that 40% of the people who STILL PLAY mario kart are equal to that figure 90%, meaning 60% of mario kart owners who still play are playing offline

For this to be true, the maximum amount of current halo 3 owners are 44.44% (or less, because this figure implies that every single mario kart wii owner is still playing)... clearly this is a bit low

Majin-Tenshinhan said:

As of the latest US software numbers, MK wii is now tied with Halo 3. Considering how much MK Wii sells every week, it's going to boost right by and never look back come next week. What are your thoughts on this? Honestly, even after seeing the crazy legs MK Wii has had, I'm surprised. I never would've though it'd gain ground on this gen's #1 this quickly.

Still doesnt match Halo 3 on attach rate and install base. Call me when that happens. Its just as important as it selling as many units. :)

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

|_emmiwinks said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

As of the latest US software numbers, MK wii is now tied with Halo 3. Considering how much MK Wii sells every week, it's going to boost right by and never look back come next week. What are your thoughts on this? Honestly, even after seeing the crazy legs MK Wii has had, I'm surprised. I never would've though it'd gain ground on this gen's #1 this quickly.

Still doesnt match Halo 3 on attach rate and install base. Call me when that happens. Its just as important as it selling as many units. :)

not sure if the smiley was supposed to imply some form of underlying humour, but assuming you were serious...

attach rate only matters to fans more than overall sales do.. (because the only situation where attachrate would matter to the industry would be if consoles had all sold the same amount, but even then, that'd just be an LTD sales comparison)

consider this (using last gen figures because it is easier to make a point with round numbers, although it still applies to this generation), if the ps2 had a game that sold to 10% (about 12m) of its userbase, and gc had a game that sold to 50% (about 10m) of its userbase, do you think the developers would think "wow.. screw the ps2"

While attachrate has some merit in the industry.. it is nowhere near as important as how many units a game has sold

Excuses are getting more and more crappy.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Not to many excuses posted now...