By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why the SMS hate?

Why do people hate Super Mario Sunshine?  I loved every minute of this game..  Maybe it was because I got it, 5 days after its release but it was a retreat for me.  It was like Summer in September-December.  Yes, it took me that long to beat it but I don't regret taking my time with it.  The music, the atmosphere and the varied gameplay.. these things made it my favorite Gamecube game.  Now explain.. What makes it a weak entry in the series?

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

cause it was completley different from most mario games, it took a step in the wrong direction, and it wasnt the platformer everyone was looking for. still, i love the game even tho most people dont.

Most people didn't like the water sprayer. I think it had some of the best platform elements from any in the series...especially the levels where you lost your spray pack. But I think there was a lot of negativity towards Nintendo in general last generation...so games like this and Zelda: Wind Waker were criticized for taking Nintendo down the wrong path towards the kiddie style.

Of course....we all learned how amazing both those games were.

Edit...for future reference...you need to spell out the game in the title.   Check the forum rules.

Phoenix_Wiight said:
cause it was completley different from most mario games, it took a step in the wrong direction, and it wasnt the platformer everyone was looking for. still, i love the game even tho most people dont.

There. Same thing as The Wind Waker, people dislike change, but that's because they can't broaden their horizons. Super Mario Sunshine was definitely better than Super Mario 64 in my opinion, but watch me get blasted for that comment.

Too bad for them! xD

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

The levels where you didn't have FLUDD were great. But having to use him replaced a lot of the great platforming in the game. It was still a great Cube game.

Around the Network

Because the water pack added an awkward element to things that left a bad taste in many people's mouths - including mine. It controlled horribly, and the times when you just had to stand there and squirt water at things disrupted the flow of the game.

RE4-style Wii controls would really benefit the game, though, so I hope Nintendo'll release it in that Gamecube-Wiimake line they're doing.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

@ both of the above statements

i agree, people were like wtf to the Wind Waker, yet that is my favorite Zelda game. and yes, SMS was better than SM64 IMO. i don't care if i get flamed, its the truth.

I don't really understand all the hate either. It was still a Mario game and it was still great fun.

@ Wetcoaster....your avatar should be a fail pic.

I didn't hate it, it was good and fun but it wasn't my favourite. People exaggerate on how bad it is. -_-'