By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's Nintendo working on? Even more Wii and 3DS games.

@O-D-C: Those teams never work on localization, so that you know.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

^ no but they would localise their own games no?

Project Sora is fairly new, so it wasn't them. Maybe Monolith, I think that was the one.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Nope, they can't since Japanese teams don't speak English and same with Western teams.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

TheSource said:

Didn't Surfer Girl have a rumor a while ago that either Monolith and/or Project Sora were working with Nintendo's internal teams on an rpg which could rival mainline Final Fantasys and Dragon Quests in Japan?

It was Bruce. I think surfergirl backed up his claims but I'm not sure. His page is gone but his words remain:

Hey Bruce,

Glad to see you’re back in action after a bit of a break. What’s gaming without a few rumours, eh? So, recently you pretty much asked for readers to send in hard questions, and I’m guessing that’s exactly what most of us are going to do. The gloves are really off now.

Here’s my question: What exactly is the deal with Monolithsoft and Nintendo? At this point, all we know is that Monolith is now a second-party developer and that they’re working on Disaster: Day of Crisis for the Wii, and a DS game as well. Now, anyone would think that Nintendo acquiring the studio means Day of Crisis is turning out to be one hell of a game. However, the chaps down at NeoGAF had other theories to present.

To make a long story short, this is what they believe:

* Yasumi Matsuno, the Director of Final Fantasy XII left Square Enix.
* Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has been pushing for a role-playing game that rivals Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy
* Matsuno landed up at Nintendo.
* He worked with Entertainment Analysis & Development for 8 months.
* Soon, Matsuno pitched a role-playing game tech demo to Nintendo.
* Iwata loved it, but Matsuno had no team of his own at the Big N.
* Nintendo acquired Monolith to provide Matsuno with his own team.

Sounds far-fetched doesn’t it? I’m not ready to believe Matsuno would walk out from Square and next thing you know, he just happens to land up with Miyamoto’s team. Obviously, it would be mindblowing if anyone could confirm if this is true, but hey; that’s where you come in, right? Right?

– Ishaan Sahdev

Writer / Editor:
http://www.games.net/
http://flamewaradvance.blogspot.com/

News Editor, Reviewer:
http://www.manganews.net/

Bruce’s Take:

Interesting you ask this, because it’s been something that I’ve been dodging to answer for a while now. Not because of the subject, but because so many things weren’t as clear when Monolith had just been picked up by Nintendo from Namco Bandai.

This is what I hear, with the source being a former producer at Namco Bandai who had caught wind of some of Matsuno’s developments. Unforunately, that producer no longer works for the company and now works for a certain San Francisco-based gaming mammoth. Still, his reports on this have been recent tinkerings of rumors brought to the table with numerous publications and forums aiming to judge their validity.

Here’s what I was told:

- Yasumi Matsuno left Square-Enix because the guy’s an opportunist. After seeing potential with the Wii, the former FFXII director decided to aim towards a brand-new, non-linear RPG project.

- Many sources have claimed the project to be Vision Red, a rumored Square-Enix RPG “apparently” shown at E3 2007. That is not the case, and the original post is clearly fictional based on its written structure.

- Some sources have claimed it to be Baten Kaitos 3, but this isn’t the case, even though I know for a fact that the game is already in its beginning stages.

- Disaster: Day of Crisis was delayed for a reason. The game will use the familiar “quick-press” Resident Evil 4 quick-reaction system to further immerse the player with a sense of danger and urgency. The game will release sometime in 2008, but it will definitely be before Matsuno’s actual new IP is announced. This is to test the waters towards interest of Disaster’s type of gameplay, which the new IP hopes to mimic in a more advanced way.

- Matsuno interest in the Wii is simple: “He wants to stress gameplay controls living up to high-quality, immersive environments.”

- So where does this leave us with the rumored Matsuno “Final Fantasy Killer?”

The new IP, at least in its design stages stressed the following elements of a brand-new RPG franchise aimed at a late-2008 announcement:

- A fully-immersive non-linear action-RPG set in a brand, new fantasy world which stresses the continuity of gameplay progression through team work and motion-controlling movements, mimicking interactions with objects and environments in the world. The game will be played in real-time, unlike Matsuno’s previous turn-based projects (Ogre Tactics, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story)

- The game is not currently planned for an expansion with real-time online multiplayer (MMO), but offline multiplayer gameplay is heavily stressed. “Imagine Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures (GameCube) with a 3D environment.”

- Definite Wii Connect 24 support with brand new worlds to explore and interacting with other players.

- Being developed by Monolith Soft and Matsuno with Iwata and Miyamoto’s supervision possibly.

- Clearly obvious: Will be Nintendo Wii’s direct competitor to the PS3’s Final Fantasy XIII releases.

- If all goes well, will be planned as a series for the Wii and differentiate the system’s low reputation for RPGs on the console. A DS version is also in the planning stages simultaneously.

- So when will gamers be able to hear more? It’s hard to tell given even Disaster’s shaky release date, but expect GDC 08 to have more rumblings of Matsuno’s involvement with his Wii project.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Around the Network

If this is true, it will be unveiled at E3 as there isn't much doubt FFXIII will make it in Japan this December, so hype for this would need to build over some months.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

So you still believe that this RPG is in development? It's been two years now that these rumours came, and since then we had not only heard nothing about it, but also seen Disaster flop massively.

As for the main topic:
I'm actually with trestres on this one, I think that the internal teams are spending a lot of time with innovating new hardware and add-ons like the balance board, while some teams are obviously developing big games, but with Zelda DS, Pikmin 3 and a new Mario which is most definitely in development (be it for DS, Wii or Wii2) we have most of EAD covered already.

The question is what teams like Intelligent Systems or Retro Studios are doing.

So my guesses for the 3rd/4th quarters are: Pikmin 3, Zelda DS, something from NST and something from Intelligent Systems (Monolith and Retro will probably bring their new games out in 2010 only) along with some third party produced games like S&P2

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

I love this kind of thread!
I'll make my part:

EAD 1 (Konno)

Last game: Mario Kart Wii

Working on: does it really matter? EAD 1 will be presenting its title next year, for a Q4 2010 release. And according to me it's gonna be Luigi's Mansion 2.

EAD 2 (Eguchi)

Last game: Wii Music

Working on: Wii Sports Resort and Wii Fit Plus.

EAD 3 (Anouma)

Last game: Link's Crossbow Training

Working on: Spirit Tracks and Zelda Wii.

EAD 4 (Can't remember)

Last game: Big Brain Academy Wii

Working on: Pikmin 3? It's the only team I can think for a clearly 2009 title.

EAD Tokyo (Koizumi)

Last game: Super Mario Galaxy

Working on: Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. Will have a Wii game for the 2011 probably.

SPD

SPD 1

Last game: Rhythm Paradise

Working on: Wario Ware Myself

SPD 2

Last game: Punch-Out (they helped Next Level)

Working on: probably some Wii channels

SPD 3 and SPD 4 are hardware developers, aren't they?

Retro

Last game: Metroid Prime 3

Working on: a new IP. According to me, it's gonna be a 2010 game.

Monolith

Last game: Disaster

Working on: Baten Kaitos 3, to me. And yeah, it may happen within the end of the year

Intelligent

Last game: Fire Emblem DS

Working on: Fire Emblem Wii and Paper Mario DS. That's for sure. Fire Emblem Wii is gonna be a 2009 game, too.

Sora

Last game:

Working on: a new 2011 IP

HAL

Last game: 100 books or something like that for DS

Working on: Kirby Wii, as confirmed by the fiscal year briefing

Am I forgetting someone?
Probably I am, but now I cannot remember any other team close to Nintendo except for NST which must be having some trouble, otherwise it's impossible we haven't seen anything from them for 3 years.

.Soriku said:
Monolith Soft's next project should be an RPG ^^

. This!

And I want Captain Rainbow... :(

I hope your predictions come true Captendo, Pikmin 3 and Baten Kaitos 3 releasing this year would be great.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)