By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kwaad's back. With PSP.

fooflexible said: And while I'm sure your thinking of little nifty elements in the software, my main point is most of the big franchises on the DS to date are exclusive, not just the games, but the entire franchises are exclusive. We're not talking the same characters and game content with a few twists to freshen up the portable, we're talking completely different concepts. And while titles like MGS4 might not incorperate PO's gameplay entirely, it will be charachters, plot and gameplay all in the same vein only much much better. So I'd rather wait for MGS4 and get Pokemon for my DS. Plus I'm really starting to find the analog nub on the psp annoying for 3d games, the controls are simply inferior to console controls, and that does have an impact because we're essentially playing console style games.(I've seen someone actually use an aftermarket analog stick version does anyone have a good recommendation for one?) I've played at length Virtua Tennis, Burnout, Lego Star Wars and I fail to see just how different these games are on the PSP. And even if they do have extra elements, boards, charachters, are they enough to buy for 40 bucks after shelling out 60 for the console version? I still say no. I'm not saying I hate the psp, I bought one and I don't regret it. In fact I've actually used the opposite of my logic on a few titles. I bought the Lego Star Wars title on the PSP instead of the console version. But I wish there was more fresh IPs that weren't so focused on a console like experience, I'd love some more adventure, rpg, and 2d fighters. I think my biggest beef with the psp is the selection of games is too action oriented. and I tend to not like playing 3d action on a portable.
Are you serious? You mean with stables like mario, mario kart, starfox, metroid, zelda, trauma center so forth and so on. These games have been around multiple time on other nintendo systems. The are the same games with (for most of them) no story and a highly tweaked gameplay. You mention only three games after me and another user have listed various other games. Like I said go rent some of the games we listed before you continue. you arguement is dead on the water because the PSp actually doesn't have that many action game and is solid with RPG's, tactics and puzzle games. Followed by racers and 2d fighters and then there are a couple of action games in the library. I cannot take your word seriously after you mention games that may be like thier PS2 counterparts while I "KNOW" because I have played, an army of games that are completely unlike thier PS2 counterparts. (probably due to memory restrictions as well. I am sorry but I do not buy your arguement.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Around the Network

oh, and the mario games on the DS don't have the same characters as the console games? right... portable ops fills in part of the story gap. if you love MGS you will love the PORTABLE version of MGS. geez. and now I'm editing this post to show I got here late for the response. looks like i'm not the only one that notices the exact same games for every nintendo system (and btw, I love them, and the differences of the game on DS is great I'm sure, but don't argue that psp only uses franchises from consoles).

fooflexible said: First off you mentioned alot of games that aren't out and many that aren't even coming to the psp God of War? And Devil may cry and GT Portable seem to be on indefinite hold. Second you mentioned some pretty average games in the there Out Run, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, even Fild Commander is good, but I'd take Advance Wars over it any day of the week. Have you played most of these games? I've played just about all of them, and Loco Roco is the only one you mentioned that is really good and doesn't actually have a console equivelent that's better. (Even this title as brilliant as it is, I just get bored with it after two hours) lets not forget your shelling out 40 bucks for games and way more for the system also. This is my big problem with the psp. later this year i'm going to buy Burnout 5 for my x360, and Burnout Dominator is coming for my psp, I'm sure it's going to be great, but Burnout 5 great? No. Again it'll be a crappy version of a console game. After spending 60 bucks on a great console title should I pay another 40 to get the watered down version on my psp? no. And I'm sure Dominator will be highly rated and used as an argument to give the psp a chance, but you can't forget the bottom line, if I want Burnout, I'm getting 5 for the 360 or the ps3, and not wasting my time with the psp version, same with GTA, Metal Gear, Tekken Syphon Filter, heck even Monster Hunter is now going to move to the ps3, eleminating another reason to waste time with the handheld. The DS treats the handheld market like a unique market with a unique gameplay experience with plenty of strong titles for casual or hardcore players that you simply won't find on your home console at all. So you can tell me how great every psp game is until your blue in the face but until they start making something other then crapy versions of console games or start selling eveything for 20 bucks it's just not worth it.
I made a clear difference between the actual great games on the PSP and the UPCOMING great games on the system .Out Run is a great game ,perfect for a portable and with about the same quality levels of the console versions ,plus its a game that works best for a handheld .Marvel Ultimate Alliance has at least the same quiality as the 128 bits versions of the game plus some extras .Field Commander is more or less like Advance Wars (its a rip off after all ) but with better graphics .As for the upcoming games God of War is coming made by Ready at Dawn and Devil May Cry:Dance of Sparda was also announced by TGS time last year .GT Mobile had a beta running the GT4 engine on the PSP as back as october last year and will come sooner or later .One all is said and done the PSP will have literally dozens of great games and the DS will continue with its great game each 2-3 months and the sales drivers as Ninytendogs and Brain Training ...that will have Wii versions that play better and that alone leaves your argument in the cold .

fooflexible said: This is my big problem with the psp. later this year i'm going to buy Burnout 5 for my x360, and Burnout Dominator is coming for my psp, I'm sure it's going to be great, but Burnout 5 great? No. Again it'll be a crappy version of a console game. After spending 60 bucks on a great console title should I pay another 40 to get the watered down version on my psp? no. And I'm sure Dominator will be highly rated and used as an argument to give the psp a chance, but you can't forget the bottom line, if I want Burnout, I'm getting 5 for the 360 or the ps3, and not wasting my time with the psp version, same with GTA, Metal Gear, Tekken Syphon Filter, heck even Monster Hunter is now going to move to the ps3, eleminating another reason to waste time with the handheld.
Maybe you just don't need a handheld. There is no point to play Burnout Dominator when you have a X360 version around but you should remember what the purpose of a handheld is. You play it when you are away of your home entertaiment room. Would you take your X360 on vacation, plane, train and so on? No. This is a space for "crappy" version (personally I'm impressed how good is for example Tekken DR). There is nothing more accurate to home system than PSP. Real stuff. I want to play my favourits. I don't care about Pokemon, Nintendogs etc.. I like Tekken, GTA, MGS - this is my world

The PSP brings the most imporant thing in 3d gameing to the handheld. The... drumroll please... Analog stick. I'd say that's MAJOR innovation on the hand-held. Because I F*king hate using the d-pad to play games on the DS.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

staticneuron said: Are you serious? You mean with stables like mario, mario kart, starfox, metroid, zelda, trauma center so forth and so on. These games have been around multiple time on other nintendo systems. The are the same games with (for most of them) no story and a highly tweaked gameplay.
let's not get silly sure Mario and the likes are on the DS there does not exist a system that doesn't continue a franchise of some sort. But the DS games I've been into, Pokemon RPG, there isn't a single Pokemon RPG for any home console(spinoffs yes, but not the full real RPG), Nintendogs, Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright, Contact, Brain Age, Advance Wars, Elite Beat Agent, Club House Games, Jump Super Stars. The same cannot be said about the PSP. Monster Hunter will soon be coming to the ps3, other then that I can't think of a ton of original psp franchises. Gurumin, Field Commander, Loco Roco, Metal Gear Acid I'd count being that it's entirely different gameplay, yet honestly nothing I'm excited about.(And nothing that really sells a system) Hmmm....psp doesn't have many action games? Metal Gear, Syphon Filter, GTA, Dynasty Warriors...let me put it like this, if your running around a 3d environment and shooting, kicking, punching, then I call it action. That is a very big category on the psp. Adventure games like Hotel Dusk or Phoenix Wright, there isn't a single title on the entire system like this. Tactics, there is Field Commander, Lord of the Rings, and Metal Gear Acid. Nothing really like FF Tactics or Ogre Battle which is what I was hoping to see, in fact the only title like that is that Joan of Arc game coming, which I am excited about. RPGs there isn't a whole lot, Legend of Heroes is terrible Valkyre Profile is good but not traditional, Gurumin is a solid game but again its pretty much an action game. I do love Tales of Eternia which never came out in America and also isn't traditional but nontheless one of the few good rpgs. Poplocrios is traditionnal, again it's an outdated port with way too many random battles but nonetheless is one of the too few entries in this field. I know there is a Jewel Summoner game thats also a new IP it's supposed to be okay I haven't tried it yet, so I can't comment. So these three types of games are few on the system. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but for the most part I think that's true I might have played more PSP titles then you have and again I really don't think there is an enormous difference in game play(I'm not saying there won't be exceptions to the rule but I believe this in a big way. I've listed 3 examples, I don't think there is a need to go through the entire catalog to make my point. But if you want more how about Outrun, Ridge Racer, most of the sports titles, then ther are just the plan bad versions of console games like Spiderman, Godfather, and Scarface, besides I've yet to hear any examples of this different gameplay) Honestly there is no reason to get worked up over this I don't want to be taken as a Nintendo fanboy psp hater, which is what I may sound like only becuase I'm getting insulted by people not taking me seriously. Bottom line is, I like my psp alot, I just don't love it. The games I've enjoyed the most is Tales of Eternia(European version) i've played it for 25 hours, after that Tekken i've played that about 12 hours, everything else I've probably played for no more then 5 hours,(thrillville is getting close though), I just find I have a hard time getting into them beyond that. That bothers me as I really thought the psp was going to force my DS to collect dust, and yet it hasn't. For example I bought Gurumin and Hotel Dusk, after 2 hours of Gurumin I started to get bored of the action gameplay and really kiddy story, while Hotel Dusk really intrigued me, I've now played it ten hours and still love it.(and hotel dusk was 10 bucks cheaper) Now I'm back to playing Thrillville on the PSP which is a great game on there(another game I doubt is very different on a home console though, yet I can't say for sure since I haven't tried it yet.) All my arguements are really me trying to get to the root of why I continue to lose interest in my psp games, so you can tell me I'm wrong on every count and completely discredit every argument I make, but I truly have no reason to be biased and have given the psp a fair chance and will continue to do so, but I still feel the psp isn't loveable(to me personally). if this doesn't apply to you then so be it, but there is a reason the DS is outselling the psp, so it may be the most people happen to agree with me.

Kwaad, it's an analog nub(I'd kill to have ps3's analog stick on there), and honestly it's awful, it's horribly placed it's too small to really like using. I'm looking for an after market version to tack on in hopes of making it better. Granted it's size makes it easy to slip away in the sock but I truly don't like it.

The nub is awosome. It's a little low I agree. But I like it ALOT more than NOT haveing one. :) fooflexible - have you played Loco Roco? That's probibally the most unique game I've played in a few years...

fooflexible said: staticneuron said: Are you serious? You mean with stables like mario, mario kart, starfox, metroid, zelda, trauma center so forth and so on. These games have been around multiple time on other nintendo systems. The are the same games with (for most of them) no story and a highly tweaked gameplay. let's not get silly sure Mario and the likes are on the DS there does not exist a system that doesn't continue a franchise of some sort. But the DS games I've been into, Pokemon RPG, there isn't a single Pokemon RPG for any home console(spinoffs yes, but not the full real RPG), Nintendogs, Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright, Contact, Brain Age, Advance Wars, Elite Beat Agent, Club House Games, Jump Super Stars. The same cannot be said about the PSP. Monster Hunter will soon be coming to the ps3, other then that I can't think of a ton of original psp franchises. Gurumin, Field Commander, Loco Roco, Metal Gear Acid I'd count being that it's entirely different gameplay, yet honestly nothing I'm excited about.(And nothing that really sells a system) Hmmm....psp doesn't have many action games? Metal Gear, Syphon Filter, GTA, Dynasty Warriors...let me put it like this, if your running around a 3d environment and shooting, kicking, punching, then I call it action. That is a very big category on the psp. Adventure games like Hotel Dusk or Phoenix Wright, there isn't a single title on the entire system like this. Tactics, there is Field Commander, Lord of the Rings, and Metal Gear Acid. Nothing really like FF Tactics or Ogre Battle which is what I was hoping to see, in fact the only title like that is that Joan of Arc game coming, which I am excited about. RPGs there isn't a whole lot, Legend of Heroes is terrible Valkyre Profile is good but not traditional, Gurumin is a solid game but again its pretty much an action game. I do love Tales of Eternia which never came out in America and also isn't traditional but nontheless one of the few good rpgs. Poplocrios is traditionnal, again it's an outdated port with way too many random battles but nonetheless is one of the too few entries in this field. I know there is a Jewel Summoner game thats also a new IP it's supposed to be okay I haven't tried it yet, so I can't comment. So these three types of games are few on the system. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but for the most part I think that's true I might have played more PSP titles then you have and again I really don't think there is an enormous difference in game play(I'm not saying there won't be exceptions to the rule but I believe this in a big way. I've listed 3 examples, I don't think there is a need to go through the entire catalog to make my point. But if you want more how about Outrun, Ridge Racer, most of the sports titles, then ther are just the plan bad versions of console games like Spiderman, Godfather, and Scarface, besides I've yet to hear any examples of this different gameplay) Honestly there is no reason to get worked up over this I don't want to be taken as a Nintendo fanboy psp hater, which is what I may sound like only becuase I'm getting insulted by people not taking me seriously. Bottom line is, I like my psp alot, I just don't love it. The games I've enjoyed the most is Tales of Eternia(European version) i've played it for 25 hours, after that Tekken i've played that about 12 hours, everything else I've probably played for no more then 5 hours,(thrillville is getting close though), I just find I have a hard time getting into them beyond that. That bothers me as I really thought the psp was going to force my DS to collect dust, and yet it hasn't. For example I bought Gurumin and Hotel Dusk, after 2 hours of Gurumin I started to get bored of the action gameplay and really kiddy story, while Hotel Dusk really intrigued me, I've now played it ten hours and still love it.(and hotel dusk was 10 bucks cheaper) Now I'm back to playing Thrillville on the PSP which is a great game on there(another game I doubt is very different on a home console though, yet I can't say for sure since I haven't tried it yet.) All my arguements are really me trying to get to the root of why I continue to lose interest in my psp games, so you can tell me I'm wrong on every count and completely discredit every argument I make, but I truly have no reason to be biased and have given the psp a fair chance and will continue to do so, but I still feel the psp isn't loveable(to me personally). if this doesn't apply to you then so be it, but there is a reason the DS is outselling the psp, so it may be the most people happen to agree with me.
RPG Valkyrie Profile Lenneth Tales of Eternia Tales of the World Radiant Mythology Brave Story Magna Carta Portable Tales of Destiny II Tales of Phantasia Valhalla Knights Popolocrois Key of Heaven Kingdom of Paradise II Monsters Kingdom Jewel Summoner Blade Dancer Generations of Chaos Ys Ark of Napisthim Legend of Heroes III Action-RPG X-Men Legends II Marvel Ultimate Alliance Dungeon Siege Throne of Agony Untold Legends The Warriors Code Bounty Hounds Gurumin Monster Hunter Freedom Tactic -RPG Jean D´Arc Disgaea Hour of Darkness Lord of the Rings Tactics Dungeon & Dragons Tactics Final Fantasy Tactics:The Lion War Strategy Field Commander Worms Open Warfare Metal Gear Acid Metal Gear Acid 2 Steel Horizon

suk_my_wii said: nice to see ya kwaad every one thought you were dead im thingking of getting a psp but not enough games for me (besides loco roco) find any good games give me a shout
When you get your PSP, I'll hook you up with like 10 demos. I have LocoRoco, LocoRoco Halloween, LocoRoco Holiday, Killzone, Splintercell, and a handful of others. One is a relatively good racing game. I say relatively because it resembles a console one. It's probibally the best I've ever played on a handheld. I havent bought any games yet. I'm just useing it as a media center. Gonna buy a 4gb memory stick, and load up 20 hours of video on it. :P