By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii motes best moves

Wii Sports and MOH:H2. Monkeyball is an honorable mention if you don't count the mini games.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

As for a top five, I can't think of anything better than ones already mentioned by other people.

But one that I have gotten a lot of use out of that I wasn't expecting (don't recall it being mentioned in anything I read before I got the game), is the wiimote as a pedometer for the running in Wiifit.

I'd agree with the other nominee's but i'd also like to give an honourable mention to Mario Strikers Charge for subtle but appropriate use of the controller. Checking was extremely satisfying with the motion control and taking the control of the keepers hands (using IR) for saving goals was something that couldn't have been done with a regular controller.

i would say medal of honor heroes 2 and pes 2008

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

Wii Sports takes best innovation
RE4 takes best port of a last gen game
MP3 takes best shooter
Mario Kart takes best, uh, driving game
Most Pointless Waggle goes to Red Steel (you accept missions by nodding with the wiimote, reject by shaking your head)

Honorary Mentions to things like Kororinpa, Elebits/Eledees and Mercury Meltdown

Around the Network

The Best Use of the Wii Remote in Games

By Charles Herold, About.com

The Wii remote created a whole new way of interacting with a video game. Not every Wii game uses the wiimote to its full advantage; some don't use its advance capabilities at all. As cool as it is, anyone would have thought to wave the remote to wield a sword, but some game designers push the limits of their imagination, and this list is a tribute to the best of them.

Kororinpa: Marble Mania

While it is much too short, the puzzle game Kororinpa is wonderful for as long as it lasts. The goal is to maneuver a ball through an elaborate maze. The maze turns with the movement of the Wii remote, while gravity sends the ball along narrow bridges and across fast-moving conveyor belts. While the game can be finished in only a few hours, it is one of the best uses of the Wii remote to date, and one of the few games that would be hard to imagine on any other platform. It could probably be best described as a brilliant first third of a game. Hopefully the other two thirds, and more, will arrive in a sequel.

Medal of Honor Heroes 2

Heroes 2 isn't a great game. It is fun, but much of the gameplay is unpolished, and at a certain point I got irretrievably stuck and gave up on it altogether. But it is the game that created an almost perfect first person shooter control setup for the Wii. The FPS was a huge challenge for the Wii, since the right analog stick of traditional controllers has been replaced with the Wii remote pointer. Heroes 2 managed beautifully, with easy-to-use, wonderfully responsive, customizable controls. No matter how good any first person shooter is in other areas, it won’t be as good as it can be if it uses any other control scheme.

WarioWare: Smooth Moves

Smooth Moves would make a great tutorial for game designers eager to learn every way you can use the Wii remote. The player is required at various times to hold the remote like an umbrella or a tray of food, or even to place it on a table. The game is a series of five-second mini-games in which you have to shake, wave or jab the remote to make something happen on screen. The sequence in which you have to dance while holding the remote is one of the single best moments in any game in the Wii’s brief history.

No More Heroes

No More Heroes is a mixed bag of stylish graphics, tedious wandering, cartoonish gore, weird dialogue and some of the quirkiest uses yet for the Wii remote. While the most amusing use is recharging your electric weapon, which involves shaking the remote while protagonist Travis gestures obscenely, the cleverest idea is using the remote as a phone. When someone calls Travis through his cell phone the remote rings and you have to hold it up to your ear to hear the caller. It doesn’t affect the gameplay in any way, but it is to date the goofiest thing anyone has thought to do with the remote.

Okami

When it came out for the PlayStation 2 in 2006, the action-adventure game Okami seemed like a game that should have been made for the Wii. Okami, after all, centers around drawing in the air with a magical brush, a seemingly ideal use for the Wii remote. The reality of the Wii version isn’t quite as good as imagined – the Wii remote brush is slightly more awkward to use than the PS2 analog stick brush – but painting with the Wii remote is so inherently cool that it is worth putting up with a little awkwardness to do it; it's nice to play a game about drawing in the air that makes you feel like you're really drawing in the air.

Wow, original idea eh. Best uses of Wiimote. Noticed you all picked them and none of mine are there, pffft.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Boom Blox.

How could anyone forget that?