By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii Could Hit 30% of U.S. Households by 2011 - Analyst

ookaze said: So washimul and BenKenobi88 are the same people. How pathetic !
huh, how do you know that? Do you have their ip's or something?

Around the Network

reverie said: I actually wonder if developers can take the Mii characteristics like where's the nose, how big are the eyes etc. and use it with the distinctive graphical style they've developed for their games to draw a look-alike of me on the screen that matches the game. So it would still look like me, bit not like the LEGO Mii playing Wii Sports. That would make room for a lot of Mii supported games. Probably not going to work technically, though changing clothes should really be possible, as Wii Sports is already doing that. Oh, and 30% of households by 2011 is just another way of saying "35 million units in the US". That's less than what the PS (40 million) and PS2 (45 million) achieved, so nothing record-breaking just yet.
Mii's do not have to look like they do in Wii sports. That was done for a reason I'm guessing, but if you check out Wario Ware: Smooth Moves you can see some improvement.

KohlyKohl said: Mii's do not have to look like they do in Wii sports. That was done for a reason I'm guessing, but if you check out Wario Ware: Smooth Moves you can see some improvement.
But the faces never change...and that's what would need improvement in a more realistic game...but that's the part of the Mii that's unique...so it's probably rather difficult to transform them without losing the original Mii-ness. It'd be cool if they do something like that though.
ookaze said: So washimul and BenKenobi88 are the same people. How pathetic !
wha? in case you weren't reading, washimul was being a typical "PS3 will rock...in MARCH" fanboy, and I was talking about how fun a Mii shooter game would be. I don't think there's any way it could be the same person.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

PS4 said: Merrill Lynch has predicted that 30% of U.S households will own a Wii by 2011. The analyst says the figure in Japan could be as high as 33%. The prediction comes in the aftermath of extraordinary results for Nintendo’s console, outselling all competitors in North America and Japan, and riding high in Europe prior to PS3's introduction there. Yoshiyuki Kinoshita, an analyst at Merrill Lynch, made the prediction following news that Wii had captured a 68% share of the Japanese next-gen market last month, selling over 400,000 units against 150,000 units for PS3. In the U.S, Wii outsold PS3 by 436K to 244K, although, of course, PS3 is still out-billing Wii on a dollar basis. Analysts are increasingly dismissive of the idea that Wii is a short-term gimmick, whoe appeal is fading. Jay Defibaugh, analyst at Credit Suisse said, "There has been a concern that the Wii was gimmicky but each passing month assuages that."
Wrong! The Xbox360 outsold the Wii during the holiday season and sold more in 1 month than the wii did in two. Also if you knew the numbers you would know the Xbox360 has sold more over a 3 month span as well. So that article is crap.

DIAR said: Wrong! The Xbox360 outsold the Wii during the holiday season and sold more in 1 month than the wii did in two. Also if you knew the numbers you would know the Xbox360 has sold more over a 3 month span as well. So that article is crap.
Wrong! The Wii has roughly outsold the 360 by a factor of 2:1 during the corresponding 3 months after launch!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

shams said: DIAR said: Wrong! The Xbox360 outsold the Wii during the holiday season and sold more in 1 month than the wii did in two. Also if you knew the numbers you would know the Xbox360 has sold more over a 3 month span as well. So that article is crap. Wrong! The Wii has roughly outsold the 360 by a factor of 2:1 during the corresponding 3 months after launch!
Wrong! The PS3 outsold all consoles by a wide margin! About the easiest thing to bullshit about and spin any which way you like are statistics. All three are spinning the numbers ever so slightly different so that their console stays on top. "We sold the most in the holiday season, breaking all-time records!" "We sold the most since launch, breaking all-time records!" "We had the best January ever, breaking all-time records!" Right...

Uh, well nobody can deny the Wii is doing the best, with the Xbox selling strong, and the PS3 is doing the worst also...I'm still confused on how I got confused with washimul...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Wrong! The Xbox360 outsold the Wii during the holiday season and sold more in 1 month than the wii did in two. Also if you knew the numbers you would know the Xbox360 has sold more over a 3 month span as well. So that article is crap.
were you on drugs when you wrote this, show me were you got this info from and then maby i still wont believe you

Worldwide I think the Wii sold more, but in North America at least 'twas the 360, I don't recall Europe's numbers....

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Wii sold 3.19 million worldwide between Nov 19 and December 31 360 sold 1.1 million in the USA in dec, and like 550,000 in (all of, not 8 days of) Nov. It actually sold like 100,000 in Japan around this time thanks to Blue Dragon, plus another 400 or 500k in Europe (based on sales of 2 million for the whole year in Europe)... Somewhere between 2 and 2.5 million 360s were moved in the same time frame. Wii sold 3.19 million. 360 had North America thanks to Gears, Wii had Europe and Japan. However, by being outsold by both consoles in Japan, and Wii in Europe during the two month period, 360 lost a bunch of worldwide marketshare overall. Think of it this way: Americas: 1.7 million 360s 1.25 million Wiis 750,000 PS3s Microsoft+ 550k lead over Nintendo Microsoft + 950k lead over Sony Japan (December): 1.0 million Wii 315,000 PS3 100,000 360 Nintendo + 685k lead over Sony Nintendo +900k lead over Microsoft Europe 800,000 Wii 500-600,000 360 Nintendo + 250k in December over Microsoft Wii gains over 360 250k+900k - 550k = 600,000 Wii gain in 6 weeks N.A. + 4 weeks Japan, 3 weeks Europe Extend that to January, Wii gains 400k in Japan over 360, 150k in America over 360, and likely some amount in Europe as well. Perhaps another timeframe gain of selling 600,000 more consoles than the 360 worldwide? February looks to be more of the same, as Wii should gain around 250,00-350,000 more in Japan. It will probably outsell the 360 in North America (Sonic, SSX, Wii Play, momentum, price point) and Europe as well. Sony outsold Microsoft in Japan (700,000 units vs about 150,000), but Microsoft sold 1 million more 360's in North America so that advantage is wiped out and turned into a 450k defecit. Throw in November-March without PS3 in Europe, and Sony needs a huge March to offset some of its winter losses. Sony will gain on Microsoft starting in March when European sales offset Microsoft's sales in North America enough to allow the PS3 advantage in Japan to turn into a surplus of PS3 over 360 worldwide. That should begin in earnest in April, but the pricepoint means Wii will continue outselling both....

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu