By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Stof delves in to survival horror.

On Korea: There's a North AND a South Korea, I'm gonna have to go check that out...

flipping through the encyclopedia, oh here it is... Korean War... 33rd parallel... Oppression... starvation...

Holy Moly! I have to talk to my buddy, Jong Il, about getting all that non-sense corrected in the next printing.

On Dementium: I'll put it on my very long list of wanted games I can't afford and don't have time to play.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network
vlad321 said:
KylieDog said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Resident Evil 4 is not a survival horror game.

I agree with that, though neither is Alien Verses Predator 2.

Did you play the Marine campaign, cause that capaign single handedly made AVP2 the scaries game I have ever played. Also as a marine it counts very much as a survival game as well.

Then again this is just me and I've found FEAR to be the scariest game to come out in the past few years.This is about to go off-topic and there'll be FEAR spoilers...

The very last time you have a hallucinatino of the lobby/hallway/hospita where adult Alama is present and you have to shoot her for her not to kill was probably the part that had the most impact on me. I got to that door of where she's giving birth and the guy explodes and coers the window, so I'm just standing there wonder "wtf do i do now?" and then the screen makes that effect when Alma "teleports" and then I keep staring a bit longer and decide to turn around just as Alma takes her last step and I had time to get in one shot, by reflex or just a twitch as I jumped back into my chair, but she lunged at me and killed me in 1 hit. That was the scariest moment of any game for me so far.

No, it's not just you. While I didn't find FEAR to be really all that scary until the very end, I did find it to be an excellent AAA title, and one of my favorite games on the Xbox 360.

If you weren't such a time stopping badass, and if the game didn't have such tight controls and excellent puzzles/gameplay, and it wasn't just such an accomplished and amazing shooter, then I'd say yeah, it's at the top of my survival-horror list, but like RE4, while it does have some immediately scary moments to it, you are always in such total and epically badass control, that I can't really mark it down in that genre.

However, I can see that point also being made about AvP, as well, so I guess I shoulda probably thought twice about that one. However, it is scary as crap, and if you change my list from scariest survival horror game, to scariest game, then the list stays the same.

As far as gameplay goes, I put RE4 and FEAR higher than any other game on my list.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Did you play the Marine campaign, cause that capaign single handedly made AVP2 the scaries game I have ever played. Also as a marine it counts very much as a survival game as well.

Can't agree more... That is true horror when you know some background. It just builds up the fear perfect and then releases it suddenly when you don't expect it anymore :)

OT: You will have a lot of fun :) And I hope you have a great time/life in Korea :)

“And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five? A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head.” -Terry Pratchett

www.lost-acres.de

ZenfoldorVGI said:
vlad321 said:
KylieDog said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

Resident Evil 4 is not a survival horror game.

I agree with that, though neither is Alien Verses Predator 2.

Then again this is just me and I've found FEAR to be the scariest game to come out in the past few years.This is about to go off-topic and there'll be FEAR spoilers...

The very last time you have a hallucinatino of the lobby/hallway/hospita where adult Alama is present and you have to shoot her for her not to kill was probably the part that had the most impact on me. I got to that door of where she's giving birth and the guy explodes and coers the window, so I'm just standing there wonder "wtf do i do now?" and then the screen makes that effect when Alma "teleports" and then I keep staring a bit longer and decide to turn around just as Alma takes her last step and I had time to get in one shot, by reflex or just a twitch as I jumped back into my chair, but she lunged at me and killed me in 1 hit. That was the scariest moment of any game for me so far.

No, it's not just you. While I didn't find FEAR to be really all that scary until the very end, I did find it to be an excellent AAA title, and one of my favorite games on the Xbox 360.

If you weren't such a time stopping badass, and if the game didn't have such tight controls and excellent puzzles/gameplay, and it wasn't just such an accomplished and amazing shooter, then I'd say yeah, it's at the top of my survival-horror list, but like RE4, while it does have some immediately scary moments to it, you are always in such total and epically badass control, that I can't really mark it down in that genre.

However, I can see that point also being made about AvP, as well, so I guess I shoulda probably thought twice about that one. However, it is scary as crap, and if you change my list from scariest survival horror game, to scariest game, then the list stays the same.

As far as gameplay goes, I put RE4 and FEAR higher than any other game on my list.

That's completely true, but only while you are a Predator or an Alien. When you are a marine you can be torn apart by either race in a matter of seconds, one can climb walls and you can't see it worth a damn and the other can go invisible. You have a useless flashlight and a somewhat more useful flares. I also feel that damn radar was built for no other reason than to ratchet up the tension. Seeing white dots immidiately put me on my toes only to find out it was some door somewhere. Then when you see the dots moving you realize the things must be in front of you already and the panic ensues when you can't see them all.  I still sstand by my stance that this was one of the scariest games out there solely because of the marine campaign.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

And the Survival Horror theme lives on with...

De Blob! woot.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Have fun in south Korea. Try not to get addicted to starcraft. I hear that instead of crack parties, they have craft parties where inevitably one of them overdoses (or doesn't eat for a week) dies, and then in a zerg induced frenzy they eat the body. Try to stay out of that....or don't, that sounds kind of awesome.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

I can't wait for the Starcraft release. I won't be getting it, but I will be walking around and taking pictures of the lineups to post back here for you guys.

Or I'll hoard food and board up the windows. This could get hairy.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:
I can't wait for the Starcraft release. I won't be getting it, but I will be walking around and taking pictures of the lineups to post back here for you guys.

Or I'll hoard food and board up the windows. This could get hairy.

I wanna know if this is true:

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835