By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Soleron said:
Mac OS X has all the disadvantages of not being Windows (doesn't run most games, for example) but few of the advantages of Linux (doesn't have a packaging system, not free, hardware tie-in, lack of good Java support, forced to use Objective-C, lack of kernel flexibility, lack of hardware support vs. Linux).

While most of your points are valid, the bolded part simply is not. The OS X compiler is GCC, and happily compiles C, C++ as well as Objective-C. Sure, the high level libraries are written in Objective-C, so if you want to take advantage of those, you'll have to use Objective-C, but you're free to program in C or C++ if you so wish. And anyway, Objective-C is pretty simple to pick up.

As for Java support, sadly Apple themselves are (or Jobs at least) moving away from Java, but there's an open source project for producing a Java VM for OS X, so the possibility for support is there. Of course, it requires the users to download and install it, so it's not the same as being built in the OS, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

Around the Network
cAPSLOCK said:
I'd never own a mac. I have a friend who keeps trying to convince me to get one, so I let him ramble on and on about all the joys of owning one, and every time I try to make myself look as interested as possible, and every time (he's been trying to convince me for 4 years) I always have it narrowed down to 1 question:

:O "So, what games can I play on a mac?"

:( "Fuck you for letting me talk that long"

:O "LOL MY NAME IS STEVE JOBS I DON'T PERSONALLY LIKE VIDEO GAMES SO I'M GOING TO TANK MY OWN COMPANY PLUS I HAVE A WUN BUTAN MOUSE"

:( "You can play games through bootcamp, smartass, it installs windows so you can play games"

:O "So why not just eliminate the middle man and the dual booting and just stick with Windows? Does the Mac OS suck your dick while internet surfing or something?"

As a PC gamer there isn't any alternative, and it's as simple as that. As far as other functions of a computer, they're mostly pretty mundane so I wouldn't need a $1500 mac to do tasks a computer from 2002 could do.

Also, as a mac owner you can't use the old "PC gaming is too expensive" because with the price you paid for your Mac desktop or laptop I could probably build 3 mid-range PC gaming rigs.

Mac has quite a few games that support Mac/PC. For example most of the UT franchise except UT3 (in the works), Spore, The Sims, and ID Software's games. Bootcamp isnt always needed. Its just a matter of if a developer wants to take the time to adjust their engines. Macs are now running the same CPUs/GPUs as PC so its not like they will have to recode for different hardware.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

People don't understand the mobile market - Apple and the iPhone are doing really, really GREAT - and its scaring the other companies.

It doesn't matter what TOTAL mobile market share they have - its completely irrelevant. All mobiles are different, 90%-95% of them out there are "ancient" and can't be used for the types of applications that the iPhone can.

What matters is how many iPhone/iTouch devices Apple do get into the market - and the market % they take, based on CURRENT sales.

The main reason is the AppStore. Other mobiles simply can't do this sort of stuff - its actually IMPOSSIBLE - and that's without mentioning iTunes.

If left unchecked, Apple WILL dominate the mobile market within 5 years - that is why Nokia (and other companies) are "panicking".

Everything is moving away from the carriers - who have managed to block applications like the AppStore in the past on mobiles - because of readily available WiFi points (mobile VoIP, etc). Revenue is now all about service streams + data revenue (and with free WiFi, there is NO data revenue!).

Java, BREW + Symbian have effectively been rendered useless (or obsolete) - the ease of which people can create excellent applications for the AppStore, and the rate that new applications are being added is just scary. My wife recently got a iTouch (which I do consider a phone competitor - she also has a Nokia E65), and uses it for everything. The type of applications she has on the iTouch (and she has paid for lots) would *never* have made it out for a phone (things like an app for our the schedule for our local train services). Development of these apps in Java is easy enough - but its the distribution which is impossible.

Apple has solved this, and its going to take a mighty effort from the other players to stop them dominating the market. Good riddance to the carriers I say, they have brought this on themselves.

Once a iTouch with VoIP is officially released, it will be THE mobile of the future. Free data, free calls, free apps - movies, games, music - bring it on.

(I think Ninty see this BTW, which is why the new DS will start overlapping with some of these features - and hopefully some form of VoIP :>).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:

The main reason is the AppStore. Other mobiles simply can't do this sort of stuff - its actually IMPOSSIBLE - and that's without mentioning iTunes.

If left unchecked, Apple WILL dominate the mobile market within 5 years - that is why Nokia (and other companies) are "panicking".

With Android coming soon hopefully with a more accessible system of distribution (Apple is a control freak), the ability to handle background processes (that lacking screws over so much...), and with a Java-centric focus (hello millions of Java programmers!) it should be one heck of a ride.

The iPhone is today's pretty fashion trend.  While Apple may be very good at pretty, let's see if they can compete on functionality with their upcoming competitors.

well, some of Apple's products I like and can see the value in

e.g itunes, ipod touch - mostly because its the only one in its class (the only good one that is)

As for the some of their other products, I can easily find a better alternative with a better price

e.g. imac, apple tv

Around the Network

I own a G4 powerbook and it was my first mac purchase (got it about 3.5 years ago). I will most likely only buy macs from now on and love the ease of use, interface, mac-specific freeware and dashboard. My only issue with apple is that when my laptop battery got recalled, I got a refurb rather than a brand new battery as a replacement. Worth noting is that I used to be a huge mac hater.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Well children, here is a little news flash for you...ALL manufactured computers suck, period. I wouldn't use a Macintrash if Steve Jobs paid me a billion dollars. I have always built my own computers and always will and I will continue to use Windows since I actually want software for my machine...

"If you don't like me, bite me!"

madkiller said:
Well children, here is a little news flash for you...ALL manufactured computers suck, period. I wouldn't use a Macintrash if Steve Jobs paid me a billion dollars. I have always built my own computers and always will and I will continue to use Windows since I actually want software for my machine...

I'm with you, although computers I build have a Linux partition as well. Windows for bells and whistles, games, and things that don't run on Linux; Linux for impotant things and school work.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

madkiller said:

.. software... apple has a ton of software... better software..

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

madkiller said:

That's a very old bullet point that's still kicking around. Software support these days is really good. Obviously the PC pool is larger so more niches will be covered but since they switched to Intel software for Mac OS X is blooming. Just a week ago I wiped out my XP partition, ever since Mythos went down I haven't booted into XP. As a gamer it sucks tho that most emus don't work on mac besides the ubiquitous MAME.

Oh hay ssj12, just noticed your sig. Let me guess, moralfag? You might want to know that enturb is coming back in a couple weeks, apparently there was some mod meltdown involved.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).