By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does anyone still believe PS3 will win the console war?

I still think the PS3 will win this gen. When the price drops to 299 or so sales should double, just like they did with the last year drop. Games like LBP will steal SOME potential Wii owners who will think that the PS3 has better games than Wii Music or sth like this. The PS3 will in the end pass the Wii, albeit minimally. It won't pass the PS2 though, which should get to 150 million in LTD sales (now it's around 140 million, vgchartz is undertracking).

Around the Network

Dude, the ps3's already won! Honestly, when was the last time the GBA came anywhere CLOSE to outselling the ps3?

slimeattack said:
I still think the PS3 will win this gen. When the price drops to 299 or so sales should double, just like they did with the last year drop. Games like LBP will steal SOME potential Wii owners who will think that the PS3 has better games than Wii Music or sth like this. The PS3 will in the end pass the Wii, albeit minimally. It won't pass the PS2 though, which should get to 150 million in LTD sales (now it's around 140 million, vgchartz is undertracking).

Pricedrops usually only provide a temporary bump in sales and maybe a small improvement over the long run, but no way a PS3 will continuously see its sales double when dropping its price to 299. And although Vgchartz is probably a little low on PS2 it shipped around 130M units in March 2008 (it's hard to be precise considering they used production shipments for most of the time), so it is definitely not at 140M yet.

koffieboon said:
slimeattack said:

Pricedrops usually only provide a temporary bump in sales and maybe a small improvement over the long run, but no way a PS3 will continuously see its sales double when dropping its price to 299. And although Vgchartz is probably a little low on PS2 it shipped around 130M units in March 2008 (it's hard to be precise considering they used production shipments for most of the time), so it is definitely not at 140M yet.

Well, everyone i know that gets a ps3 is waiting for a pricedrop because they think it's still quite expensive. I think everyone is waiting it to drop to 299 or under and then buy it.

ofcourse the PS3 will not win

Around the Network
koffieboon said:
slimeattack said:

I don't want to disappoint you but the PS3 is selling twice what it was last year. Because of a price drop.

Depending on how you look at this all three could win. MS finally made money on the 360 and has been having profitable quarters, Ninetendo has tunred it around from the gamcube and eventually the PS3 will start making money.

As for total sales WII will win

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

We all know the answer to this question is NO. How come it is continuing and has exceeded 200 responses and 2000 views?
Troll/flame thread Red alert.

slimeattack said:
koffieboon said:
slimeattack said:

I don't want to disappoint you but the PS3 is selling twice what it was last year. Because of a price drop.

Are you referring to the abysmal sales in the US last year? Cause it really wasn't that hard to double sales there. I could just as easily point towards the Japanese market where sales didn't improve at all or any other price drop in history for any console which didn't show continued rising of sales by 100%.

Paul_Warren said:
"That is called a hopeful dream.

It's possible in my lifetime someone will find a way to make me live 100 years longer than anyone else before me and still be healthy till the end... it's possible that for some unknown reason everyone stops buying bread next week.

This website is about sales; past, present and future. The future part comes from analysing the past and present part.... mysterious occurences that make no sense and don't have any significant chance of happening aren't generally considered."

Yeah, well, when the University of Kentucky Wildcats basketball team was behind LSU by 32 points with 10 minutes to go in Baton Rouge, La, in the 1993-1994 season and managed to come back to win the game, and the same thing when UK was behind Duke by 20 points at the half-time in the 1998 NCAA tournament, yet managed to win as well. I think that there's no reason to doubt that the PS3 has any less of a chance to win than UK did in both of those situations.

Actually, there is, as the analogy you provide doesn't perfectly match the nature of the console wars.  You see, the console wars have always been based on momentum.  As one system pulls ahead, public opinion of it improves, which leads to increased third party support, which leads to more sales in a giant self-sustaining chain reaction.  This applies globally, and has been true of the NES, the PSX, the PS2, and most recently, the DS.  The Wii has been exceptional in this regard in that they have achieved record sales rates with very little of it being attributable to third party support - just think what the sales will be like when third parties finally get onto the bandwagon.  Of course, Nintendo would have to ramp up production even further to reap the benefits of that, as they are still selling every system they can make, which is already an incredible number.

Of course, the reverse is also true.  As a system stagnates, public opinion of it deteriorates, which leads to reduced support, which leads to less sales and, ultimately, an early death.  That's the road the PS3 is on right now, and if the history of the console wars is any indication, it's already too late for them to change course.  When you combine this with the skyrocketing costs of HD game development, and the fact that Sony has already wiped out all their profits from the PS2 with the PS3 (i.e. their current PS3 strategy is already horribly unsustainable), the picture gets even worse.  I know it's a difficult perspective to adjust to, especially when the PS2 was the runaway leader of the last generation, but you have to accept that the history of the console wars simply doesn't support your argument.

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition