By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does anyone still believe PS3 will win the console war?

Question: if SONY decides to skip the next generation, and basically use the PS3 for 2 generations, and ends up outselling the original wii, would you guys consider that a victory?

I'm not saying it is going to happen, or even that I expect it to happen, so please no "lol, that's never gonna happen" comments. All I'm saying is that I'm not sure what everyone's criteria for 'winning' is. In the above scenario, would, you consider it a SONY victory or a Nintendo victory?

Around the Network

At any rate the PS3 could still win this console generation. Sometimes no one know what is going to happen and it is a pretty popular opinion that the Wii will continue to sell as it has but what if for some unknown reason people just stopped buying them, then the PS3 or 360 could easily overtake it once again by a certain point in time.

It doesn't really matter which console finishes first in the long run. It only matters whether each console sales enough units and games to justify a future for that particular line.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Paul_Warren said:

At any rate the PS3 could still win this console generation. Sometimes no one know what is going to happen and it is a pretty popular opinion that the Wii will continue to sell as it has but what if for some unknown reason people just stopped buying them, then the PS3 or 360 could easily overtake it once again by a certain point in time.

It doesn't really matter which console finishes first in the long run. It only matters whether each console sales enough units and games to justify a future for that particular line.

That is called a hopeful dream.

It's possible in my lifetime someone will find a way to make me live 100 years longer than anyone else before me and still be healthy till the end... it's possible that for some unknown reason everyone stops buying bread next week.

This website is about sales; past, present and future. The future part comes from analysing the past and present part.... mysterious occurences that make no sense and don't have any significant chance of happening aren't generally considered.

labrats5 said:
Question: if SONY decides to skip the next generation, and basically use the PS3 for 2 generations, and ends up outselling the original wii, would you guys consider that a victory?

I'm not saying it is going to happen, or even that I expect it to happen, so please no "lol, that's never gonna happen" comments. All I'm saying is that I'm not sure what everyone's criteria for 'winning' is. In the above scenario, would, you consider it a SONY victory or a Nintendo victory?

In this instance, yes, the PS3 would be considerd the sales leader to the 6th generation if it were to eventually outsell the Wii.

Paul_Warren said:

Hope is good to have but against logic and reason it makes it becomes a pipe dream.  Logic and reason suggest that won't happen so basing a prediction upon it is a losing proposition.

Now the second part of your post is absolutely spot on.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

frybread said:
Phasma said:
 I also think the wii will sales will start to drop a lot in the future. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Phasma as a weather forecaster:  Tomorrow the temperature will start off low, then around afternoon it will get warm, but later in the evening it will become low again.

Im trying to avoid that fanboy shit you do. I just said my opinion, but i forgot to say that i think the sales will drop next summer by a big margin. I also think you are an asshole now. Just my opinion. Happy forecasting.

Around the Network

Phasma, do you have any indicators that suggest the sales will drop a lot by next summer? Typically when predicting a change in a trend it requires an influencing factor. What is the influencing factor that will cause significant drop in sales by next summer?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

labrats5 said:

That's an interesting question. I wonder if sony skips the next generation, sells less consoles weekly than wii2 but manages to outsell the wii, would it be considered a victory for the ps3?

I would consider it a HUGE victory if the ps3 outsold the wii and wii2. If it somehow managed to outsell the wii but lose to wii + wii2, I wouldn't consider it a victory for sony, but still for nintendo because they would sell more consoles weekly throughout all of the ps3's lifecycle.

Anyway, you made a hypothetical question which I don't think is going to happen.

Viper1 said:

Phasma, do you have any indicators that suggest the sales will drop a lot by next summer? Typically when predicting a change in a trend it requires an influencing factor. What is the influencing factor that will cause significant drop in sales by next summer?

Well i think the wii is a fun machine don't get me wrong. But i think people get tired of it in the long run, there are good games to it but not many (more games coming i know). Games looking better and better these days and with the HD tvs increasing i think the people start to lean more to the ps3/360. I think the wii is a phase in the gaming world, it's fun for a while but then it gets old maybe if the wii was more powerful things could be different? It will of course appeal to people with families and someone you know, has one to play for parties etc. At some point the sales will go down, i think next year we could see a big drop, or after 5 years, you never know. Just my 2 cents.

Paul_Warren said:

...but what if for some unknown reason people just stopped buying them, then the PS3 or 360 could easily overtake it once again by a certain point in time.

Hey man sorry I called you a troll. When you first started posting I thought you were serious. But as you continue I have come to realize you are just pretending to be one. Good job you really had us going, some of this stuff is just such so amazingly creative. You should really consider sharing your share your skill with the world!

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

Sry, im a little tired so the writing on my post isn't very well written and compiled. Try to make something out of it, if you can.