By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does anyone still believe PS3 will win the console war?

Seihyouken said:
frybread said:
Paul_Warren said:
Okay if I accept the Wii as 7th gen console, will you please post a list of its technical stats compared to the PS3 and 360?

Wii:  Sophisticated motion controls, entirely new games, new genres, new ideas

PS360:  updated graphics for existing series

I think you need to convince us PS3 and 360 are 7th gen

Entirely new games on the Wii? LMAO! Why don't we take a little look at the highest rated games on the system, shall we?

The problem is you're limiting your scope to the highest rated games, all of which are rated by traditional gaming critics.  That, and you leave out games like Zak & Wiki, which are only possible on Wii.

We all know which system has the most original content.  No use trying to mask it by bringing up a few sequels.

Viper:  Some people can't think outside the box of "TECHNOLOGY = GRAPHICS"

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Paul_Warren said:
Okay if I accept the Wii as 7th gen console, will you please post a list of its technical stats compared to the PS3 and 360?

If they were available for public release, I would do that but we don't have an official spec sheet on Wii becaue Nintnedo never provided one.  All the specs we see about the CPU and GPU are just assumptions (well ground assumptiosn but still not officially known).

Besides, it's blatantly obvious the Wii was not developed to compete graphically with the X360 and PS3 but as we've discussed that is not the metric that qualifies inclusion in a generation.

However, there are many technical aspects about the Wii that are highly advanced from the 6th generation.

1. 90 nm chipset.  (All 3 last gen consoles were 180 nm...I'm sure you know smaller is better)
2. Built in 802.11 b/g Wifi. (Nothing had built in Wifi last gen and X360 doesn't even have it now)
3. Multi-dimensional slot loading disc drive. (All 3 last gen were eitehr tray or top loading and the Wii is one of the only slot drives in the world that accepts 2 disc sizes).
4. SD cards. (none of the 3 consoles last generation supported them)
5. Utilizes both 1T-SRAM and GDDR3 RAM.....GDDR3 is the same RAM used in the fastest nVidia graphics cards. (The Xbox used standard DDR RAM and the PS2 used old RDRAM)
6. Power consumption reduced to 18 watts on and 1.3 watts in standby with WiiConnect24 off and 9.6 watts with it on. (PS2 - 45 watts | Xbox - 100 watts)
7. WiiConnect24 allows updates and data transfer from standby mode. (Xbox had to on and logged on to Live to update anything)

And that's not even touching the controller technology.   The Wii's technological advancements didn't go towards graphics and pure processing speed but efficienty and input methods.   It's actually a high advanced peice fo technology, it's just not advanced in the same direction as PS3/X360 but on the other side of that same token, the PS3/X360 are not advanced as Wii in its directions.

3D interfacing with an object is not new

Cueil said:
Viper1 said:
Paul_Warren said:

If they were available for public release, I would do that but we don't have an official spec sheet on Wii becaue Nintnedo never provided one.  All the specs we see about the CPU and GPU are just assumptions (well ground assumptiosn but still not officially known).

Besides, it's blatantly obvious the Wii was not developed to compete graphically with the X360 and PS3 but as we've discussed that is not the metric that qualifies inclusion in a generation.

However, there are many technical aspects about the Wii that are highly advanced from the 6th generation.

1. 90 nm chipset.  (All 3 last gen consoles were 180 nm...I'm sure you know smaller is better)
2. Built in 802.11 b/g Wifi. (Nothing had built in Wifi last gen and X360 doesn't even have it now)
3. Multi-dimensional slot loading disc drive. (All 3 last gen were eitehr tray or top loading and the Wii is one of the only slot drives in the world that accepts 2 disc sizes).
4. SD cards. (none of the 3 consoles last generation supported them)
5. Utilizes both 1T-SRAM and GDDR3 RAM.....GDDR3 is the same RAM used in the fastest nVidia graphics cards. (The Xbox used standard DDR RAM and the PS2 used old RDRAM)
6. Power consumption reduced to 18 watts on and 1.3 watts in standby with WiiConnect24 off and 9.6 watts with it on. (PS2 - 45 watts | Xbox - 100 watts)
7. WiiConnect24 allows updates and data transfer from standby mode. (Xbox had to on and logged on to Live to update anything)

And that's not even touching the controller technology.   The Wii's technological advancements didn't go towards graphics and pure processing speed but efficienty and input methods.   It's actually a high advanced peice fo technology, it's just not advanced in the same direction as PS3/X360 but on the other side of that same token, the PS3/X360 are not advanced as Wii in its directions.

3D interfacing with an object is not new

I just reviewed my post 4 times over and can't seem to find where I claimed 3D interfacing was new...or even mentioned it at all for that matter.

I'm getting old, going blind perhaps.  Could you be a kind youngster and point out exactly where I said that? 

There's a good lad.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

I've seen one group of specs for the Wii that said its cpu had a speed of less than 800 mhz. The 360 and PS3 are both 3 to 4 times faster than that.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Paul_Warren said:
I've seen one group of specs for the Wii that said its cpu had a speed of less than 800 mhz. The 360 and PS3 are both 3 to 4 times faster than that.

I guess that must be why they are both outselling the Wii 4:1

Or perhaps clock speed doesn't mean too much, eg XB clock speed was much more than the GC, and over double that of the PS2, but it generally had comparable graphics to the GC and nothing substantial over PS2.

It also only sold 1/6th of the nmbers PS2 managed.

Around the Network
Paul_Warren said:

Paul, I just told you the specs are not official.  Nintendo nor IBM have officially released those specs which is I why I won't provide any for you because they technically don't exist to the public.

Aside from the emprical numbers themselves, they mean very little without context.  For example.  The GC and Wii utilize IBM's copper chip technology which is more efficient than aluminum used in the Xbox and almost all other CPU's.  This efficiency means at the same clock speed, it can do much more work than an average aluminum based chip.

It's been accepted that the GC CPU is as effective as the Xbox CPU depsite the slower clock frequency (485 Mhz vs 733 Mhz).   Now just for the sake of argument we'll accept the Wii has a 729 Mhz processor.  Because it too is copper based, not aluminum, that would make the effectiveness of the Wii's CPU far greater than that of the 733 Mhz aluminum Xbox CPU.

But even still there are many other factors that must be considered of which would take up far too much time nor do we even have all the relevant data to compare with.

And once again as has been informed upon you multiple times previously, it matter not that the PS3 and X360 have faster processors because that is not the technological or end user goal of the Wii.

Paul, you need to realize that you are fixated on a very irrelevant issue.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Some people didn't understand the GUI, or the mouse for that matter. Mark my words all next gen system will have new input schemes. MS and Sony know they got blindsided on this one and I'm sure are pouring tons of money into research as we speak.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

averyblund said:
Some people didn't understand the GUI, or the mouse for that matter. Mark my words all next gen system will have new input schemes. MS and Sony know they got blindsided on this one and I'm sure are pouring tons of money into research as we speak.

Agreed.  There's no way a system that uses a gamepad for its primary input will last 10 years, it's already out of date.

I'm not calling Sony liars, I'm sure PS3 will be *supported* for 10 years, but they will definitely release a new system - or more likely re-release PS3 as PS4, with a new Wii-inspired input device.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

TWRoO said:
Paul_Warren said:

I guess that must be why they are both outselling the Wii 4:1

Or perhaps clock speed doesn't mean too much, eg XB clock speed was much more than the GC, and over double that of the PS2, but it generally had comparable graphics to the GC and nothing substantial over PS2.

It also only sold 1/6th of the nmbers PS2 managed.

That's why Chaos Theory looked and were exactly identical on the PS2 and Xbox...  Nothing substantial over the PS2... I didn't know anyone was still in denal over that... the Xbox could do things that the PS2 simply could not do.

Viper1 said:
Paul_Warren said:

Paul, I just told you the specs are not official.  Nintendo nor IBM have officially released those specs which is I why I won't provide any for you because they technically don't exist to the public.

Aside from the emprical numbers themselves, they mean very little without context.  For example.  The GC and Wii utilize IBM's copper chip technology which is more efficient than aluminum used in the Xbox and almost all other CPU's.  This efficiency means at the same clock speed, it can do much more work than an average aluminum based chip.

It's been accepted that the GC CPU is as effective as the Xbox CPU depsite the slower clock frequency (485 Mhz vs 733 Mhz).   Now just for the sake of argument we'll accept the Wii has a 729 Mhz processor.  Because it too is copper based, not aluminum, that would make the effectiveness of the Wii's CPU far greater than that of the 733 Mhz aluminum Xbox CPU.

But even still there are many other factors that must be considered of which would take up far too much time nor do we even have all the relevant data to compare with.

And once again as has been informed upon you multiple times previously, it matter not that the PS3 and X360 have faster processors because that is not the technological or end user goal of the Wii.

Paul, you need to realize that you are fixated on a very irrelevant issue.

Here is something relevent... the GCN and Wii don't have shaders... that's pretty f'n relevent... I loved my GCN but it's simplified gpu ment no matter how much better the CPU could run the GPU on the Xbox can still do things that the GPU on a much newer machine can not.  It's not that it's faster or processes more it's just that it can do things that the GPU on the Wii can't.  There are ways around this, but it's probably not as easy as using a GPU with shader tech on it...