By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does anyone still believe PS3 will win the console war?

stranne said:

There are some out there, this is from the NPD thread on Beyond3D:

Based on the numbers I see, and the easy explanations I can make for the success of the Wii, I see both the 360 and the PS3 selling more units than the Wii by the time all of these consoles have been terminated.

It's about value, it's about product, it's about life span of the individual consoles. I have no doubt that the PS3 is going to sell more consoles than the Wii when everything is over and the final numbers are reported. I have a little doubt about the 360, but that's only because MS has a shorter history and you do have to factor in their early abandonment of the Xbox, even though they had reasons to do so that don't currently exist.

I think some people are going to be shocked this holiday season when the 360 outsells the Wii, and I also think that those same people would be more shocked to know that if Sony were able to muster any sort of legitimate price drop this holiday, it'd outsell the Wii as well. Even without a price drop from the PS3, I expect the combination of the 360 and the PS3 to outsell the Wii by 3-1.

I am utterly not convinced that this 'new demographic' that is attributed to the Wii's success exists at all. If it does exist, I think it's so minute it's insignificant in explaining the sales.

Lulz. He is a fool. You get them on every forum. I actually responded to that guy.

Tease.

Around the Network

1st place seems unlikely.... wii attracts more types of gamers than the ps3 and xbox 360 but it will take the 2nd spot.

i wished sony named their ps3 better... just as horrible as nvidia. why cant it be simple as the 360?

which 80gb ps3 do they sell now? the console by it self. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Retail_configurations

I think that many Wii owners will buy a ps3 as a second console when the price drops. I really hope that the ps3 can win the Console War, but it will reach a good 2nd place at least.

It’s kinda cute to claim you’re winning a race by just dismissing all the competition (Wii’s not really current gen., PC’s don’t count ) . It’s like my grandson played miniature golf by his rules; he goes first and gets as many hits as it takes to get the ball in, then you don’t go at all because he’s already won.

His logic was just as sound but then he was five years old. In the grown up world, like it or not, they all are competing for a finite  amount of money ( I started to say dollars but apparently letting a moron run things has made that a meaningless concept).  The number of multiplatform gamers is a small minority. With one exception which makes this 10 year concept completely silly.

Right now I could go on line tonight and buy a fully functional notebook computer for less than a PS3. It wouldn’t be much of a gaming machine to be sure but for under $1200 I can get a 17”1440 x 900 2.3GHz dual core with Blu-Ray and an HDMI out. And that’s today. Look at what notebooks cost and what they could do eight years ago and project that eight years into the future and then tell me that the PS3 will be a technological marvel.

Actually by 2016, it’s going to look like a toy next to the notebook which I’ll already own anyway. Which is  faster with better resolution and I can play on the big screen tv, tuck it under my arm and play the next night online from my hotel room of from the free WiFi at Starbucks. It’s battery powered, has its own HD screen and can also do useful things like my job or homework.

I’m not sure game consoles in general are going to be very competitive in eight years, but I’m pretty damn sure 10 year old designs won’t be.

Cueil said:

Here is something relevent... the GCN and Wii don't have shaders... that's pretty f'n relevent... I loved my GCN but it's simplified gpu ment no matter how much better the CPU could run the GPU on the Xbox can still do things that the GPU on a much newer machine can not.  It's not that it's faster or processes more it's just that it can do things that the GPU on the Wii can't.  There are ways around this, but it's probably not as easy as using a GPU with shader tech on it...

Do you know what Tevs are ?

IMO, Paul is a viral marketter ... Nobody can be blind this way. He has been raising this same argument for monthes.

Around the Network

Well when you think about the console life span, it's possibly the ps3 can sell a lot. Not now though, the price is too high and too few games, sure is it will sell a lot more than x360 before the generation is over. To top the wii, well that is unlikely but you never know what will happen in the future when it costs less. I also think the wii will sales will start to drop a lot in the future. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Phasma said:
 I also think the wii will sales will start to drop a lot in the future. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Phasma as a weather forecaster:  Tomorrow the temperature will start off low, then around afternoon it will get warm, but later in the evening it will become low again.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Cueil said:
TWRoO said:
Paul_Warren said:
I've seen one group of specs for the Wii that said its cpu had a speed of less than 800 mhz. The 360 and PS3 are both 3 to 4 times faster than that.

I guess that must be why they are both outselling the Wii 4:1

Or perhaps clock speed doesn't mean too much, eg XB clock speed was much more than the GC, and over double that of the PS2, but it generally had comparable graphics to the GC and nothing substantial over PS2.

It also only sold 1/6th of the nmbers PS2 managed.

That's why Chaos Theory looked and were exactly identical on the PS2 and Xbox...  Nothing substantial over the PS2... I didn't know anyone was still in denal over that... the Xbox could do things that the PS2 simply could not do.

Tehnically perhaps, but nothing significant to the eye... like RE4 for example (GC or Wii version) is better looking than most Wii games, but technically some Wii games are better even if they are not considered to look better.... and again technically RE4 was way beyond REmake, but REmake looked much better.

And regarding your shaders comment, yes both can do shaders, the GC could do almost everything the XB could do, and a couple of things better (still talking technically here) the difference is, MS being primarily in the PC market made their console similar to a PC, thus what you know as shaders is exactly what the XB does, the GC can pull off the same effects just as easily, it's just that Nintendo came from a console background, so it's just different to the PC/XB

No. I own all three consoles so have paid cash to have an opinion on all three. To me Wii seems the party console you play with your mates when your all drunk. The 360 seems the console you play when you are on your own and fancy playing something slightly different i.e it has the best game for every genre. And if you fancy a bit of online multi-player 360 is the machine of choice. Where as my PS3 i use for watching films. If i didnt buy Blu-Ray discs i would not use my PS3. I wonder if the world is the same in that view.
So to me it just seems that the PS3 is this generations "well you wait till xyz comes out!" then that game comes out and largely bombs. Take 2008 for example. This year was said to be the year of the PS3. After a bad 2007 it had to be. Loads of games were hyped up in 2007 for their release in 2008. Some did well but lots failed (im looking at you Haze!) Even games such as Killzone 2 were hyped up to being the greatest thing of all time. Roll a year on and it was not even mentioned at E3 and talk has all but dried up about it.

So no PS3 will not win the generation. Neither will Microsoft. Nintendo will win by a clear margine simply because they have re-invented the console and what it can be, it has brought in a whole new audience of players that before would never have thought about it. If i look at the other 2 consoles who do i think could compete in the future as family type console? Then i think the 360 could for sure especially by gobbling up exclusives the way they do with franchises like Rock Band.

The other thing is Sony Fanboys claimed around March time that the PS3 would catch up to the 360 by the end of the year. Well now it lookslike the 360 is pulling further away from the PS3 by being almost 6m units ahead again. Seeing as there is only 3 months left means the PS3 needs to sell 2m over the 360 a month for that to happen. Think we can all assume that will not happen. Especially as the PS3 is not even now selling more then the 360.

So this generation will see Nintendo win by miles and miles. Microsoft will get some of the Wii owners wanting another console and the PS3 will get the Blu-Ray fans.

Cueil said:

Here is something relevent... the GCN and Wii don't have shaders... that's pretty f'n relevent... I loved my GCN but it's simplified gpu ment no matter how much better the CPU could run the GPU on the Xbox can still do things that the GPU on a much newer machine can not.  It's not that it's faster or processes more it's just that it can do things that the GPU on the Wii can't.  There are ways around this, but it's probably not as easy as using a GPU with shader tech on it...

Can I ask you a question?  Do you know what you are talking about from a 1st hand experience or just because you read that somewhere?  I'll answer it for you, you read it somewhere from someone else who didn't know what they were talking about.

The GC and Wii both have a TEV (Texture Environment Unit which the Wii version is much more advanced) which does all the hardware shading.  What the GC and Wii do not have are Direct 3D programable shaders.   Instead they have their own shader language.   The GC choud handle every single shader the Xbox could handle and the Wii can handle practically every single shader the PS3/X360 can handle (though not all at once obviously).

When a developer in 2006 spoke out against Wii, he spoke about the lack of Direct3D programmable shaders.  He didn't mean any shaders at all.  That would be nonsense because the GC was doing some damn impressive shaders at launch (See Rogue Squadron II).

I'm also going to assume you don't really know what a shader is or you wouldn't make such a silly claim as GC and Wii can't do shaders.

So in the interest of preventing yourself from making foolish statements in the future...if you aren't sure personally, do the research first.  Look up the real facts.

The rEVOLution is not being televised