By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Difference between video games and toys.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy

Wii is a video game but is in the category of toys

Initiating social expirement #928719281

Around the Network
theprof00 said:

well miyamoto is creative director senior managing director of a multi billion dollar company. i think he knows what he's talking about.

So because he is the senior managing director of a multi-billion dollar company he is allowed to create his own definitions for a word.  That's new.   He either misspoke, had trouble articulating his thoughts about the game, wanted to sound cool (although he doesn't have to try imo), or was high.

With this in mind I'll tell you what the difference is between a toy and a video game in my own words: none.  A video game is simply a type of toy.  

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

I think he summed up my belief on it rather nicely, its got no goals , nothing to work towards…it’s a toy

Smash bros, has goals, trophies, unlockables, items to work towards like other games—its not a toy but rather a game

Of course there's a difference between a toy and a video game.

A video game is a toy.

A doll is a toy
A doll is not a video game

It's like saying a vehicle and a motorcycle is not the same thing. It's not great worded but Miyamoto isn't exactly the king of English.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

yay another toy thread...

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network

No u.

No seriously, can we ban this dude?

Cougarman: "off course gaming consoles are different from your average toys" and the "Wii_____" games, which are the bulk of sold wii titles, all prove that the wii is no different from other consoles.

Bolerooffire: "So because he is the senior managing director of a multi-billion dollar company he is allowed to create his own definitions for a word"
oh so then video games aren't toys?
BoleroOfFire: "With this in mind I'll tell you what the difference is between a toy and a video game in my own words: none. A video game is simply a type of toy"
OOOOOOOHHHH so A=B but B=/=A very interesting bolero very interesting.
a TYPE of toy huh? interesting choice of words. "No difference" then "vg is a TYPE of toy"

Oyvoyvoyv said:
Of course there's a difference between a toy and a video game.

A video game is a toy.

A doll is a toy
A doll is not a video game

It's like saying a vehicle and a motorcycle is not the same thing. It's not great worded but Miyamoto isn't exactly the king of English.

lol i don't think they are asking him the question in english. and i don't think he speaks any german either seeing as how the journalist was german.

RIGHT so they are types of toys, at least now you guys are admitting that there is some differentiation here.

well then on that point i would also say that 

videogameconsole is a toy
wii is a toy
wii is not a videogameconsole

/done

I thought all video games were toys?

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

i think it is more that
video games CAN BE toys.
which incidentally is exactly how everyone is taking the question.
because everything can be a toy: also what everyone has been saying except they say everything is a toy.