By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Difference between video games and toys.

BoleroOfFire said:
Perhaps I didn't explain myself correctly. Let's try again:

*You quoted Miyamoto stating that Wii Music is a toy, not a video game.
*You then proceeded to claim that because of his position, he must know what he's talking about.
*I disputed that by saying that he is not allowed to make up his own definitions just because he's high up in a company. Therefore, I am DISAGREEING with his distinction of video games and toys.
I even went as far as saying that he probably had trouble putting into words how he feels about Wii Music. Of course, that's just speculation and I have no evidence to back that up. However, that's not important for my argument.
*In conclusion, I did not contradict myself. I still stand by what I said: a video game is a type of toy. A subdivision if you will.

i agree with the subdivision part. however i think that he knows what he's talking about and i disagree with you there. i think he means to make games that are less "gamer" oriented and more "toy" oriented. let's agree to disagree

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
dbot said:
I thought all video games were toys?

They are.

Some people just have a harder time coping with this than others. They feel the need to legitimize and justify games as a "serious" form of entertainment.

It's already bloomed into a huge revenue generating industry, ergo it is now legitimate, but still based upon play.

So, never underestimate the value of play, particularly when billions of dollars are collectively at stake.

No, you misunderstand completely.

I do not stand by and say that video games are serious. they are only more serious on a ps360 snes whatever than on the wii.

they are not distinct but they are definitly different.

Cougarman said:
theprof00 said:
Cougarman: "off course gaming consoles are different from your average toys" and the "Wii_____" games, which are the bulk of sold wii titles, all prove that the wii is no different from other consoles.

Bolerooffire: "So because he is the senior managing director of a multi-billion dollar company he is allowed to create his own definitions for a word"
oh so then video games aren't toys?
BoleroOfFire: "With this in mind I'll tell you what the difference is between a toy and a video game in my own words: none. A video game is simply a type of toy"
OOOOOOOHHHH so A=B but B=/=A very interesting bolero very interesting.
a TYPE of toy huh? interesting choice of words. "No difference" then "vg is a TYPE of toy"

if you are going to quote me, quote the whole post dont choose the parts that support your cause, how is "wii" titles the bulk of wii sales, discounting USA and others sales for wii sports, you will get someting like 20m - 25m sales, compare that to mario games, super smash brawl,twilight princess, then they will look balanced, you are really just making up your own rules on what should be toy and what should not be a toy now.

cougar sorry for cherry picking, but this is not my own rules.

i am simply saying that miyamoto think VGs and toys are different. I agree with him. I also think that he knows what he is talking about.
you seem to all think that videogames are toys, but there is definitely a difference in toys. you all seem to only accept that all toys are homogenous and the same.

obviously you can't spot any differences now but most of the time you will all praise the wii for being different. here i am saying the wii is different and you all get upset.

11ht11 said:
so whats you point again?

There was no original point.

Some journalist took a jab at Miyamoto's latest product during a press conference, disregarding it as a "toy" since it's not a video game in the traditional sense causing Miyamoto to (over)react defensively by stating that's why Wii Music is better than a video game.

It's not the first time anyone has overstated the importance of a product they're actively trying to promote. 

It's interactive (uses constant player inputs via controller) and player inputs constantly influence AV output on a TV. It's a video game.

It could have been worse. Miyamoto could have given some avante guard clap trap about how it actually transcends video games, as a form of "interactive art" but he said it was a toy. Made to entertain, made for fun.

The difference between video games and toys is that toys are devices for entertainment and video games are serious business and they're not about fun.  They're about pretend accomplishments and feeling superior to people with different video games.  Like pretending you are Aragorn instead of Harry Potter.

Around the Network

no i think it's more that, i play a videogame because i want to challenge myself.
like how games have hard modes, or some people beat ddr levels with not one miss.
i don't feel challenged by the wii. i feel like exactly what wii music is all about. not a challenge but a "fun time"

need i mention that the thread about "why wii music is genius"
repeatedly puts down other games that people enjoy, and yet all he garners as response from posters is "hurrah for wii again!".

theprof00 said:
no i think it's more that, i play a videogame because i want to challenge myself.
like how games have hard modes, or some people beat ddr levels with not one miss.
i don't feel challenged by the wii. i feel like exactly what wii music is all about. not a challenge but a "fun time"

Wii games have hard mode.

Wii also has a DDR game.

What you are spouting, is pure ignorant FUD.

Wii has a little bit of eveything for everyone, it never really oversaturates in one area (apart for shovelware, which shouldn't be confused with party games). Your problem is, you're only seeing one part of what it has, because of what you see on alot of websites, and probably because you're a fanboy. And as such, you socialize with other like-minded fanboys that are feedig you bullshit.

theprof00 said:
need i mention that the thread about "why wii music is genius"
repeatedly puts down other games that people enjoy, and yet all he garners as response from posters is "hurrah for wii again!".

I found those reactions to be pretty idiotic.

I find it even harder to believe that any gamers who bought a Wii actually claim that Wii Music is the experience they were hoping for when the concept of the Wii was gelling, and that this is the direction in which they would genuinely like to see Nintendo take the gaming industry.

It may well be a toy, but its a fun toy. Isn't that what matters most?

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.