By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Iwata: John Lucas May Be Right - Wii Might Top PS2 in Total Sales

Wii could top record-holding PS2

SANTA MONICA, California (Reuters) -- Sales of Nintendo's quirky Wii video game machine could top the legendary PlayStation 2, making it the biggest hit in the industry's history, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said on Thursday.

Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto introduces the new pressure sensitive Wii Balance Board for the video game Wii Fit.

Nintendo Co. Ltd. sped past Sony Corp. in market capitalization last month to become one of the 10 most valuable companies in Japan.

Iwata in an interview also played down the threat to Nintendo's business of a price cut in Sony's PlayStation 3 and the introduction of a thinner PlayStation Portable.

The Wii has outsold Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3 monthly since its November launch, helped by its relatively affordable $250 price tag and a motion-sensing controller that can be swung like a bat, for instance.

Instead of offering lifelike graphics to appeal to hard-core gamers, who are mostly men, Nintendo has appealed to an audience including women and the elderly with innovative but easy-to-play games.

"Sony's PS2 sales of 100 million units is an extraordinary number that our home game console business has not achieved," Iwata said.

"But if we can make our bid to expand the gaming population a continued success, we could exceed that," he told Reuters.

Sony has shipped more than 120 million units of the PS2, helping the Tokyo-based electronics and entertainment conglomerate dominate the $30 billion global video game industry over the past decade.

Nintendo's strategy to entice new players into the video game market has so far proved a smashing success: its DS portable and the Wii console are flying off store shelves.

Nintendo sold 5.8 million units of the Wii by March 2007, and aims to sell another 14 million during the current business year to March 2008.

In an effort to revive sales of its console and better compete with Nintendo, Sony on Monday cut the price of its PlayStation 3 by $100 in the United States. The company also unveiled a slimmer model of the PSP handheld this week.

Those steps, however, are unlikely to have substantial effects on Nintendo's operations, Iwata said.

"I wouldn't say there is no overlap between the group of customers Sony is targeting and the group of users that Nintendo is targeting. But that overlap is quite small," said Iwata, who is in Santa Monica, California, for the E3 game industry show.

Iwata also said the hardware side of its Wii game console business has already turned profitable.

It is not uncommon for a game maker to sustain prolonged losses in its hardware business while making money from software sales. E-mail to a friend

Copyright 2007 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

International Edition  |  CNN TV  |  CNN International  |  Headline News  |  Transcripts

© 2007 Cable News Network LP, LLLP. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved.
I don't see it happening, but sales in the 70-90 million range (which is what I expect) would be nothing to sneeze at it either...

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

At least he states that they COULD exceed it, rather than Sony, who say that they are confident that the PS3 can and will exceed PS2 sales.

well, if nintendo bundles wii fit with the console, i wish you luck to find wii in retail at least until 2009.

Gooooooooooooooo John Lucas!!!!

The Wii COULD exceed PS2 sales... if they would just ship enough every month.

Around the Network
DonWii said:
At least he states that they COULD exceed it, rather than Sony, who say that they are confident that the PS3 can and will exceed PS2 sales.
Well, If Sony said that the PS3 wouldn't; then that would say that they don't have much confidence in its success.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Whatever, haven't seen much about MGS4 not coming out for the PS3 - and just coming out for the 360 ;) I think we can forward *that* prediction to the crow eating thread... :)

Its still early days - but if Sony's strategy follows anything like their "price cut" strategy, they could be in for a REAL rough ride. Us consumers aren't quite as dumb as we were 10 years ago ;)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I like how you titled this thread, it sounds like Iwata himself said, "John Lucas could be right." As if all the big execs read our forum.

@outlawauron

True. I think only MS has admitted that they cant do PS2 sales.

fooflexible said:
I like how you titled this thread, it sounds like Iwata himself said, "John Lucas could be right." As if all the big execs read our forum.

John Lucas is not only on VGChartz. He has many very good reads on www.popzart.com

http://www.popzart.com/?page=view&topic=514