By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - SCEE: there is no price cut

johnsobas said:
it's gonna be a long time before those 60 gig systems sell, especially when the 80 gig systems are also on the shelves. PS3 is only selling just over 200k a month WW the way it is, and about 80k a month in the US. Sales will increase, but the 80 gig system is gonna take a large chunk of the sales starting in august. It's gonna be quite a while at that rate.

I disagree I think the whole 'temporary price cut' news is actually gonna drive the 60 gb sales because people are thinking it's a temporary deal and will eat it up more than the new 80 gb pack.

Eitherway I expect PS3 sales to increase very well starting this week and further in August because of the pack in game which a lot of consumers want when they buy a console.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

I think you are totally overestimating the demand for the PS3, we've seen this time and time again. PS3 sold about 750k in 2006 in north america, and it has sold about 830k in 2007, now there is easily over a million 60 gigs waiting to be sold. Couple that with the fact that the 80 gig will also be sitting on the shelf next to it, and I don't think the 60 gig is gonna be gone this year.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

well it is hard to now, and PS3 is still the most expensive console and possess right now less good game than the Xbox360.
but
-PS3 game are coming,
-they succeed to make a not bad E3 starting to show game graphically better than Xbox360 (extremely important for a console that is suppose to be the best when it matters about graphism)
-they have exclusive game for PS3 + BRay,
-Xbox360 doesn't have ruled out there "unstable console" probleme even with the 3 years warranty (peter moore himself stated that the every 11.6M console shiped possess the same construction default that bring the Ringdeath problem)
-Phil Harrison just claimed that they have a secret deal with Rockstar so espect some news for GTA4 (gametrailer).

I think sony can do something.
But I hope sony will understand than their main demand is on Europe where people are desesperatly waiting for price drop.
In another hand, since european people allready buy good numbers of PS3 (compared to Xbox360) there is no reason to make a price drop that costs lot of money to Sony

Time to Work !

Great interview, the guy was frank and honest. I now have quite a lot more respect for Sony than I did before I read this, apparently they dont only employ arrogant imbeciles as I had suspected before this.

Now SCEA needs to hire somebody like this to manage their marketing so they can stop putting their feet in their mouths.

vizunary said:
Didn't they say 5.5 million shipped last time I checked??? Doesn't that mean there are nearly 2 MILLION(ok maybe 1.25-1.5mln in the US) available at $499? What do you want? Maybe Ken's blood, or first born that would do......

If it wasn't this you'd just b!tch about something else Sony related.

Also, don't you realize they CANNOT offer the 80gb at the same price as the 60gb right now(it would be even more confusing), AND when there are no more 60gb who'll bet me that the 80gb will assume that price? Considering the 80gb is "most likely" making money at $599 and in a few months it should be able to at $499 as well. Can anything Sony be positive anymore?

Playing the defense doesn't mean there is anything there to justify your point, it just paints a picture of someone making desperate excuses for Sony. Sony deserves every little bit of bad press they're getting and its not just the Nintendo fanboys giving it to them either, the actual media itself is eating up the story. Don't play this, "to each his own but you guys won't let it be that way" angle, if Nintendo was in the hot seat the roles would be reversed and I doubt I'd see you advocating "positive" perspectives on their debacle, and when Microsoft gets into shit like this, no one really seems to care. The reason many are not giving Sony and "positive" spins on thier current situation is because they give us no reason to, and anyone not a Sony Fanboy can clearly see a desperate scramble to salvage their market and the fumble of dropping the price, but not really dropping the price, then negating any possible price drop with a new system that will cost just as much as the old one. I can sympathize with your frustration of seeing thread after thread like this, but its going to be talked about no matter what.