By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NINTENDO NEWS: WII ARE NO. 1

NINTENDO NEWS: WII ARE NO. 1 Feb. 21, 2007 Nintendo's new Wiiâ„¢ has become the best-selling video game system of any kind in January in the United States, and the fastest-selling new-generation home system. According to the independent NPD Group, Wii sold through 435,503 systems to customers in its January reporting period. By comparison, that's 70 percent higher than any other new video game system in its first January of availability during the last 10 years. In addition, Nintendo DSâ„¢ once again triumphed as the top-selling portable system, with nearly 239,000 hardware and more than 2.4 million software units sold. In combination, Nintendo game systems accounted for nearly as many unit sales (46 percent of the total market) as those of all other manufacturers combined. The continuing success of Wii and DS demonstrates that the public has embraced Nintendo's philosophy of entertaining current gamers in new ways, and expanding gaming for the masses. Four of the top 10 best-selling games in January were for Nintendo systems, both home and portable. The only limit on Nintendo's success is the availability of Wii and DS systems, which continue to sell out as fast as Nintendo can ship them. Shipments are being made continuously to feed the huge demand around the country.

Around the Network

Doesn't this imply that since 1997 no other console has sold 250,000 in January? 70 percent of 250,000 is 175,000. So 175,000+250,000 would equal 425,000... So look at the systems in their first January of release... PS1 conviently isn't included (Jan 96') N64 (Jan 97') 200k maybe? DC (Jan 00') 80,000 or so (back me up on this) PS2 (Jan 01') 235k maybe (275k listed on Vgcharts, but that would be N.A., not America)? XBox (Jan 02') 100k? GC (Jan 02) 50k? 360 (Jan 06') 230k (270k listed on Vgcgarts) PS3 (Jan 07') 245k in America Wii (Jan 07') 435k... I suppose this claim is just barely feasible since it actually around 252,000 or so. Still 360 06', PS2 01', and N64 97' January must be very close.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

im very exited for nintendo first time they have been dominating in a while mostly because ive owned every nintendo system since nes. go wii go!

Too bad the 360 kicked The Big N's ass in December and November and still ranks above them over a 3 month period. So slow your roll.

Someone already went over this. NA? Yes. WW? No. Shall I make a wild claim that the Wii AND PS3 slaughtered the 360 in the same 3 months in Japan? Sit down kid. Sit the fuck down.

Around the Network

superchunk said: The only limit on Nintendo's success is the availability of Wii and DS systems, which continue to sell out as fast as Nintendo can ship them. Shipments are being made continuously to feed the huge demand around the country.
If anyone is looking for a DS, it seems like Best Buy got a shipment yesterday or the day before. There were 13 of them a few in all colors - though mostly black in a Best Buy I was in last night. They were not there earlier this week - I did not realize Best Buy got shipments late in the week.

I feel bad for Nintendo fans. They seem to have trouble spelling the word "we" right.

PS360- the way a real man plays.

TheSource said: Still 360 06', PS2 01', and N64 97' January must be very close.
Sure one has to be very close, that's what makes sense mathematically. Nintendo took the former highest number and calculated a 70% difference.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

rendo said: Someone already went over this. NA? Yes. WW? No. Shall I make a wild claim that the Wii AND PS3 slaughtered the 360 in the same 3 months in Japan? Sit down kid. Sit the fuck down.
Somebody needs a bottle. A tad bit mad? Calm down and take some medicine. NPD has already confirmed that the 360 outsold the Wii in november and both the wii and ps3 in december combined, over a 3 month period it still is higher than the Wii. Truth hurts and Nintendo are liars.

DIAR said: Somebody needs a bottle. A tad bit mad? Calm down and take some medicine. NPD has already confirmed that the 360 outsold the Wii in november and both the wii and ps3 in december combined, over a 3 month period it still is higher than the Wii. Truth hurts and Nintendo are liars.
Someone already went over this. NA? Yes. WW? No. Shall I make a wild claim that the Wii AND PS3 slaughtered the 360 in the same 3 months in Japan? Sit down kid. Sit the fuck down.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )