By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is phasing out the 60 gb to be replaced by the 80gb

D-FENS said:
We need to realize that there is a clear distinction between MODEL and BRAND. The LOW price of the PS3 BRAND is not set to $499, that's simply the price of the 60gb MODEL!

If SONY wanted to set up a $499 entry price for the PS3 brand, why didn't they drop the 60gb to $499, when they canned the 20gb?

The 20gb MODEL was sold for $499 until they axed it.
The 60gb MODEL will (now) be sold for $499 until they run out of stock
The 80gb MODEL will sell for $599 UNTIL SONY SAYS OTHERWISE!

For comparison: I could argue that LOGICALLY, MS will issue a price cut because it's now cheaper for them to make consoles, or they have cheap elven labor, or whatever, but the POINT OF FACT is that MS has not announced a price drop, and neither has SONY (for the 80gb model). Until a REAL source comes out and announces a $499 80gb, you're just reading tea leaves.

In fact, I now see how dubiously clever SONY can be. I LOGICALLY believe that they HAVE NO PRICE CUT. Now, we can buy a 60gb for $499, until they run out of stock, just like we could have bought a 20gb, until it ran out of stock. But, in the end, we'll still have a SIX HUNDRED DOLLAR PS3!

Then go buy one for $499 and stop whinig about it.

This is getting taxing, how many of these threads do we need?

@Avalach21, I think you're exactly right about the 80gb going to $500 after the 60gb is gone. People can make a decision to wait, or get the 100% machine, with the EE chipset and all.

Mods, how about making an official "Bitching and Moaning about the PS3 thread"?

I think it should cover it all.

Around the Network
windbane said:

Heh.  Disbelievers...

Half of us will just agree to disagree, but here is what is going to happen....

60GB will take awhile to sell out because they have a lot of leftover stock.  It is selling out in certain stores, sales are certainly doing a lot better (Sony predicted sales to double and a lot of people jumped on that, so we'll see if they are right).  Since people don't believe the 80GB will drop, and the fact that some people are worried about software emulation, and the fact that 20GB isn't much to wait for, the 60GB will continue to sell until it's out.  If it doesn't, Sony will drop the price a little more to clear it out, because they have said (and everyone seems to be so keen to quote Sony, which is interesting considering how many times they contradict each other...I prefer thinking on my own and logically instead of going by whatever the last statement by Sony was)...anyway, they have said that they are going to reassess the market after the the 60GB is sold out.  If you don't think that will be a price drop, fine.  It's going to happen whether you believe it or not.  Just disagree and let's all wait to see it happen.

Interesting take on lthe matter and a mature stance on a dissagreeal. Just remember though Sony has given people very little to make them believers so Disbelievers are going to be quite abundant for a great deal of time, especially since the Disbelievers typically end up being inevitably right most of the time.

robjoh said:
Dolla Dolla said:
ssj12 said:

apparently they fail to understand extra controller, game, and 20 GB... its really a good deal as if you thing without the two others the 80Gb would $529.99 taking a guess so a controller and motorstorm for 69.99. Thats a great deal for a great racing game and controller.

Also once the 60GB runs out the 80GB will be $499 just wait and see, they will probably release a 100GB version in it's place lmfao.

The pack doesn't include an extra controller, and why would it? Last time I checked, Motorstorm doesn't have splitscreen multiplayer.

Dropping the price of the 80gb after the 60gb is gone most certainly would be common sense, but how often has a company done something that completely came out of left field? I certainly hope they drop the price, or they'll cede another holiday season to their competitors.

but the starter pack in EU has two controlls, has resistance co-op?

Yes, Resistance has splitscreen co-op. It's pretty sweet, too, cause when you die, as long as your partner doesn't perish in say, the next 30 seconds, you respawn where they are, or your partner can revive you.

ssj12, you can believe there is going to be a second controller in the pack if you wish, and you can believe they are gonna add splitscreen multiplayer, too. I'm just telling you what I know. From the announced 80gb, there is no mention of an extra controller, and Motorstorm does not have splitscreen multiplayer. That simple.

Dolla Dolla said:
robjoh said:
Dolla Dolla said:
ssj12 said:

apparently they fail to understand extra controller, game, and 20 GB... its really a good deal as if you thing without the two others the 80Gb would $529.99 taking a guess so a controller and motorstorm for 69.99. Thats a great deal for a great racing game and controller.

Also once the 60GB runs out the 80GB will be $499 just wait and see, they will probably release a 100GB version in it's place lmfao.

The pack doesn't include an extra controller, and why would it? Last time I checked, Motorstorm doesn't have splitscreen multiplayer.

Dropping the price of the 80gb after the 60gb is gone most certainly would be common sense, but how often has a company done something that completely came out of left field? I certainly hope they drop the price, or they'll cede another holiday season to their competitors.

but the starter pack in EU has two controlls, has resistance co-op?

Yes, Resistance has splitscreen co-op. It's pretty sweet, too, cause when you die, as long as your partner doesn't perish in say, the next 30 seconds, you respawn where they are, or your partner can revive you.

ssj12, you can believe there is going to be a second controller in the pack if you wish, and you can believe they are gonna add splitscreen multiplayer, too. I'm just telling you what I know. From the announced 80gb, there is no mention of an extra controller, and Motorstorm does not have splitscreen multiplayer. That simple.

it might not have a second controller, idk. Dont really care as I have 2 controllers and a PS3 w/ 1TB of memory.

As for Motorstorm they are slowly adding crap to it, they should be working on splitscreen. Dont see why they wouldnt as everyone is still bitching for it.  

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

In any case they must have some millions of machines in stock .This offer wont run out anytime soon .By the time there isnt any more 60 gb machine they will announce another price drop for the 80 gb model .

Around the Network
Diomedes1976 said:
In any case they must have some millions of machines in stock .This offer wont run out anytime soon .By the time there isnt any more 60 gb machine they will announce another price drop for the 80 gb model .

Exactly.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ssj12 said:
Dolla Dolla said:

it might not have a second controller, idk. Dont really care as I have 2 controllers and a PS3 w/ 1TB of memory.

As for Motorstorm they are slowly adding crap to it, they should be working on splitscreen. Dont see why they wouldnt as everyone is still bitching for it.  

I haven't gotten a second controller yet either, I'm waiting for da ""RuMBLe""

I want a 1 TB HD in my PS3, I would never have top delete ;)

vizunary said:
ssj12 said:
Dolla Dolla said:

I haven't gotten a second controller yet either, I'm waiting for da ""RuMBLe""

I want a 1 TB HD in my PS3, I would never have top delete ;)

well i kinda cheat for my 1TB. I'm using a DLNA server to link to my PC. So I can access the 1TB HDD on my PC and stream all the media off my PC (with help of ffshow to transcode all video media to h241 and audio to uncompressed audio).

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ckmlb said:
Diomedes1976 said:

Exactly.

Would you like so Crow with your optimism?

Gballzack said:
ckmlb said:
Diomedes1976 said:

Exactly.

Would you like so Crow with your optimism?

Hate to agree with an all out attack post but yeah, Ck you just did a total 180 on what you were pushing in this thread all along right there.