By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is phasing out the 60 gb to be replaced by the 80gb

Gballzack said:
windbane said:

Heh. Disbelievers...

Half of us will just agree to disagree, but here is what is going to happen....

60GB will take awhile to sell out because they have a lot of leftover stock. It is selling out in certain stores, sales are certainly doing a lot better (Sony predicted sales to double and a lot of people jumped on that, so we'll see if they are right). Since people don't believe the 80GB will drop, and the fact that some people are worried about software emulation, and the fact that 20GB isn't much to wait for, the 60GB will continue to sell until it's out. If it doesn't, Sony will drop the price a little more to clear it out, because they have said (and everyone seems to be so keen to quote Sony, which is interesting considering how many times they contradict each other...I prefer thinking on my own and logically instead of going by whatever the last statement by Sony was)...anyway, they have said that they are going to reassess the market after the the 60GB is sold out. If you don't think that will be a price drop, fine. It's going to happen whether you believe it or not. Just disagree and let's all wait to see it happen.

Interesting take on lthe matter and a mature stance on a dissagreeal. Just remember though Sony has given people very little to make them believers so Disbelievers are going to be quite abundant for a great deal of time, especially since the Disbelievers typically end up being inevitably right most of the time.

Well, thanks for the compliment used to set up your attack on Sony.

Sony has done a lot, especially since GDC, to make believers out of people.

$100 price-cut was just one of those. E3 success was another.

For the record, even before this 60GB going away "announcement," which btw should not be a surprise to anyone, I predicted another price cut before Christmas. I am disappointed that it might just be the 80GB dropping to $500, but oh well.

One could argue if 85%-95% BC is worth the 20GB. I'd like 99% or whatever the HW is, but either way neither 20GB or BC is an issue now.

I want to remind people that upscaling is done through software emulation, and that's been the big news so far concerning BC. All PS1/PS2 games are upscaled now. As BC approaches 100% on the 80GB it will become a better deal, but it's still only 20GB. You can upgrade the PS3 with whatever HD you want.

Around the Network

windbane said; I want to remind people that upscaling is done through software emulation, and that's been the big news so far concerning BC. All PS1/PS2 games are upscaled now. As BC approaches 100% on the 80GB it will become a better deal, but it's still only 20GB. You can upgrade the PS3 with whatever HD you want.

No its not.

The PS3 takes the frame that is rendered and is about to be outputted, then runs it through the same upconversion process as the DVD's.

Games lag when they are set to upscale because of this process, that is, the PS3 buffers a couple frames (I think its 3, but I'm not 100% on this)

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

sieanr said:

windbane said; I want to remind people that upscaling is done through software emulation, and that's been the big news so far concerning BC. All PS1/PS2 games are upscaled now. As BC approaches 100% on the 80GB it will become a better deal, but it's still only 20GB. You can upgrade the PS3 with whatever HD you want.

No its not.

The PS3 takes the frame that is rendered and is about to be outputted, then runs it through the same upconversion process as the DVD's.

Games lag when they are set to upscale because of this process, that is, the PS3 buffers a couple frames (I think its 3, but I'm not 100% on this)

If you say so.  You have a link? 

hey guys clue me in on this.. since sony is phasing out the 60gb version, then does that mean that all the 60gb versions in the US will have the emotion chip? and only the europe 60gb version wont have it? and all 80gb versions wont have the emotion engine? and can the ps3 play newer ps2 games like persona 3, or is it a hit or miss thing? tnx ^^

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

iclim4 said:
hey guys clue me in on this.. since sony is phasing out the 60gb version, then does that mean that all the 60gb versions in the US will have the emotion chip? and only the europe 60gb version wont have it? and all 80gb versions wont have the emotion engine? and can the ps3 play newer ps2 games like persona 3, or is it a hit or miss thing? tnx ^^

dont worry about BC problems Sony is way more efficient on fixing and adding compatibility to games that dont work on the PS3 then Mircosoft is on the Xbox 360. 

Just as an example (saying these numbers represent the real ones w/e they are)  9000/11000 games are supported perfectly with sony's BS and like 1000/6000 for Microsoft.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

I don't care if they sell it for only $200. Until they actually come out with a game I want to play that is only available on the PS3, I won't be buying one. I buy a gaming console to play games, and the XBox 360 and Wii have all the great games already covered.

That is how i fell on this matter, They Can just keep droping the price but untell there is a soemthing that makes me Say WOW this thing will make my gaming experencie worth the Money.

This post may be off the current Emotion chip discussion sorry guys to but in the middle with no word on thet.

But i fill like if you stop making something and then Drop the Price is not like a real price Cut its sorda a END Of Shelf Life Item. Becouse it was $599 yesterday They stop producing it and then drop the price, As they not make any more of them then it is a legit reason for the price Drop and not really lable it as one, Becouse once the $499 systems go away in 9 months or how ever long it may take then we are back at Square 1 With a price tg of $599 right where we are now.

well this may be explaned earler in this thread but 4 pages is to much to read on this topic.

Hill Till We Die    -Don 2001

I Own a WII, 64 and SNES, Most Sega systems

I Own A Xbox and Xbox 360

I am Still MAD at Sony for 3 dead PS2's with Disk Read Error's, And proud Owner of a PSX that Plays Games While Upside Down and a PS3 Slim.

FANBOY That Haiters

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/550493466.png[/IMG][/URL]

oopse wrong thread You can deleat the Posts

Hill Till We Die    -Don 2001

I Own a WII, 64 and SNES, Most Sega systems

I Own A Xbox and Xbox 360

I am Still MAD at Sony for 3 dead PS2's with Disk Read Error's, And proud Owner of a PSX that Plays Games While Upside Down and a PS3 Slim.

FANBOY That Haiters

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/550493466.png[/IMG][/URL]

windbane said:

For the record, even before this 60GB going away "announcement," which btw should not be a surprise to anyone, I predicted another price cut before Christmas. I am disappointed that it might just be the 80GB dropping to $500, but oh well.

One could argue if 85%-95% BC is worth the 20GB. I'd like 99% or whatever the HW is, but either way neither 20GB or BC is an issue now.

I want to remind people that upscaling is done through software emulation, and that's been the big news so far concerning BC. All PS1/PS2 games are upscaled now. As BC approaches 100% on the 80GB it will become a better deal, but it's still only 20GB. You can upgrade the PS3 with whatever HD you want.

Oh yes, a collection of slim-pickings pro-points for Sony's PS3, what a convincing argument, you certainly showed us what's what. Since the PS3 is already $400 in Japan, what value is a $100 price cut to liquidate a soon to be outdated model in the states? And of what value is the self-proclaimed "success" of E3 when the media and general public refuses to see it as such. Has "winning" E3 made anyone convert to Sony? I do have to ask though, who are you seriously trying to convince? Us or yourself? Aren't you just bouncing these ideas off of the heads of the forum community to try and solidify or challenge the validity of such ideas in your own mind? Aren't you the one struggling to be a believer? If things are going so great for Sony, why are the Sony Fanboys on forums across the net more aggitated than ever? Was the self-proclaimed victory at E3 too high a point to fall from when it was revealed the price cut was only a temporary diversion to liquidate the 60gb for the upcomming 80gb? Is talk by Konami's President hinting at a 360 version of MGS4 getting under your skin? As I've said before, you can feign confidence, but you can't hide fear.

Gballzack said:
windbane said:

Oh yes, a collection of slim-pickings pro-points for Sony's PS3, what a convincing argument, you certainly showed us what's what. Since the PS3 is already $400 in Japan, what value is a $100 price cut to liquidate a soon to be outdated model in the states? And of what value is the self-proclaimed "success" of E3 when the media and general public refuses to see it as such. Has "winning" E3 made anyone convert to Sony? I do have to ask though, who are you seriously trying to convince? Us or yourself? Aren't you just bouncing these ideas off of the heads of the forum community to try and solidify or challenge the validity of such ideas in your own mind? Aren't you the one struggling to be a believer? If things are going so great for Sony, why are the Sony Fanboys on forums across the net more aggitated than ever? Was the self-proclaimed victory at E3 too high a point to fall from when it was revealed the price cut was only a temporary diversion to liquidate the 60gb for the upcomming 80gb? Is talk by Konami's President hinting at a 360 version of MGS4 getting under your skin? As I've said before, you can feign confidence, but you can't hide fear.

I wish you'd get a system other than the Wii. Was the last 10 years just that hard on you that you have to act like this?

Anyway...there is no point to the price comparison in different markets, so I'm not sure why you brought that up. So far there are more appealing games for US players. Answers: Yes, anyone who listens to reason, same answer, no, no, aggitating as you...hardly, liquidating millions sure would be nice I think, and Hideo Kojima confirmed MGS4 was exclusive so let it go. Not that you care about MGS, considering you are only a fan of Nintendo it seems.

But hey, way to attack me and Sony for no reason, again.

iclim4 said:
hey guys clue me in on this.. since sony is phasing out the 60gb version, then does that mean that all the 60gb versions in the US will have the emotion chip? and only the europe 60gb version wont have it? and all 80gb versions wont have the emotion engine? and can the ps3 play newer ps2 games like persona 3, or is it a hit or miss thing? tnx ^^

EU has never had the emotion chip. USA will lose it after the 60GB is gone.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!