By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is phasing out the 60 gb to be replaced by the 80gb

fooflexible said:
ckmlb said:

So here's how it's going down: 60gb sells out, August 1, the 80 gb comes out and it becomes the standard with the pack in game.

That limited edition sells out then the 80gb becomes the standard at 500 dollars soon after the 60 gb has sold out entirely.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26704

Hence, the great offers and stuff, sell lots of PS3s and get rid of the costly 60 gb machines and replace them with the 80 gb machines that they are either closer to or are making actual profits on.

Pretty clever.

Clever? They just told the world they were cutting the price and now they are taking it away. After everyone gets pumped about a price cut they are going to go out and find that there is only a 600 dollar model. And seriously I don't like motorstorm and can care less about another 20 gigs, meaning spending an extra 100 bucks on that is stupid. Personally they should have phased them out at their existing price. And when you tell people who don't know better that the cheap version is old and being replaced who is going to want to buy it? After everyone saying the price cut woudln't help and Konami saying it wasn't enough, they are jumping out saying it wasn't real. Granted it's good from a business perspective they are making a profit already, and to me that means they are expecting to be in last place. This is Nintendo's strategy they formed with the Gamecube, make a profitable system so it can still make you money while your in last place, except they'll have a high price still. Don't want to sound like a Sony basher here, but in my opinion this is the worst thing they could have said ever. In fact I almost feel they did it to push M$ into a price cut, to hurt them financially.

If so they are very stupid. I'm assuming MS had some idea this was what was going on (everyone has sources) which is why they didn't need to do a price drop right now. They basically have been told that they can wait until the 80 gig drop later in the year. 

Around the Network
Avalach21 said:
ckmlb said:
Avalach21 said:
ckmlb said:
So you seriously think once the limited edition is done they will go ahead and sell the console at 80 gb for 600 dollars alone?

The only question is when the limited edition ends and when the 60 gb consoles sell out.

There is a price cut, it's just they are doing it in a way to minimize losses. The 80 gb is the new SKU and the price of it alone after limited edition is done is 500 dollars.

What the heck special edition are you talking about? Please correct/enlighten me. I have not heard anything about the 80gb being "special edition." If it was announced, then that's just retarded. People are going to say "Well I'm not paying 600 dollars for it now. It's not even Special! It's just 20 extra gb. Once it's no longer "special edition" then I can merely get it for 500 dollars!"

That would seriously discourage sales.

You obviously dunno the 80 gb comes with a game that is the limited edition pack in. You see a console for 500 dollars then a console for 600 for more space and a game that's your value.

I did know that the 600 dollars PS3 comes with Motorstorm.  Your point is mute.  That is not value.  a 60 dollar game and the absence of the emotion engine is not value.  20 gigabytes sure isn't value either.  That is not 100 dollars. Sorry.  Please respond to the rest of my post and not just the fact that I forgot to mention motorstorm.

Well, apparently Microsoft values 20gb  at $100. Thats how much it costs for their 20gb hard drive.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Darc Requiem said:
I knew you didn't mean anything by it. Its just generally rude to ask "Are you a". I don't know if its my region of the US, I live in the southern U.S. but it just something that is difficult to ask without being considered rude.

Ignoring the fact that it was just inappropriate to ask in this context anyway, asking "are you a Jew?" is a bit like asking "are you colored?" If you have to ask (though I can't fathom why) better to ask "are you Jewish?" I suppose if you're not that familiar with the language or culture the difference seems minor, but it isn't.

kber81 said:
Avalach21 said:

1. I am not Gballzack. I have no idea where this came from. If I honestly need to prove that, I will.

How? Would you provide a photo? You are Gball. I'm sure because of your post in Legends thread... Anyway someone should finish this multi account circus off.

Hello all. Long time lurker, first time poster. Let me say first that I've thing the quality of this forum has degraded a lot over the past couple of weeks.

Anyway, ckmlb, is there any chance you could crawl back out of Gballzack's ass anytime soon? It's getting annoying.

@ Avalach21, I hope you don't mind me saying so, but your girlfriend is rather cute. Nice work. :)

My favorite part of the interview:

"We owe a debt to Nintendo for keeping the industry going in the last couple of years; they're the ones who have kept it going."

Around the Network
Steve 3.2 said:

Just my two cents. (And I'm not a Jew. :P )

Hmm... there is still a chance you are Gball...or Washimul who lost his faith

So I think Sony's goal might be to get that 80gig PS3 down to 499.99 by Christmas. Wich is about right if you figure in the $ theay save on the Emotion being droped and old games playable trough firmware updates I think that more than offsets the price between 60-80 GB and since Motorstorm is already a million seller they have made a profit on the game already not mention the added profit of charging for add on content. I myself find more value in the 60GB model unless Sony can manage to not have any of the backwards compatibility issues M$ had. Sony wants to Win this Holiday season and does want to give the most value to consumers to do so. I would be Shocked to see this translate to a $600 PS3 for Christmas

BenKenobi88 said:
ckmlb said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Is there going to be a period of time where there is just the limited edition 80 GB PS3 for sale then? And will it still be $600?

Or will Sony make sure to release the regular 80 GB model in time...

This is the question. And I am 99 percent sure no. But it's possible, even under that circumstance by the Holidays we knwo the new price of the PS3 and it is 500 dollars.

The reason why they aren't saying the 80 gb is gonna be normal after the special edition (though this is logical by the limtied on the box) is that they want people to buy some 80 gb versions and not wait for that to become 500 dollars and stagnate the sales of the limtied edition.

This all makes sense. Whoever hears this and freaks out that the PS3 price is going back up buys it now (people following this news online). Meanwhile, average joe goes to the store and buys the limited edition with the game because to him he is getting a deal.

This announcement will both boost further the sales of the 60 gb version and not stagnate 80 gb sales when it comes out.

I agree for the most part, except that "Whoever hears this and freaks out that the PS3 price is going back up buys it now (people following this news online)" doesn't make sense to me.

I have a friend who was interested in the PS3 more when he heard the 60 GB model was dropping to $500...he was getting ready to buy it almost.  Now that we're pretty sure an 80 GB model will cost $500 later this year...he's just gonna wait...he can wait a half year or so...and so can a lot of people if they're on the fence about buying a PS3.

I don't have $500 to put down for a PS3...but if I did, I'd wait for the 80 GB model to cost $500.  So...I see this slowing down potential sales, at least for news checkers.  The average consumer will see price cuts and buy it though, probably.

if backwards compadibility matters to you buy the 60Gb model now. The 80 GB without the game at the same price as the current 60GB that has like a 99%+ backwards compadability is not a better deal. hell just trade in the PS2 and get Motorstorm. In addition PS3's Hard Drive is not very expensive to upgrade any 2.5" laptop drive will work so if 60GB is too small go get a 120gb or higher when and if you need.

kber81 said:
Hmm, I was referring to ethnicity not religion. I just think he looks like a Jew - that's all. No hidden offence here. Probably I should ask "Are you a Jew?". This "a" is pretty important in this case I suppose.

then you should ask if he is Hebrew  Hebrew = Ethnicity / Jewish= religion.  Anyone could be Jewish I they would like to but not all Jewish people are Hebrew and  it is not terribly uncommon to see a Hebrew Christian.

I actually wouldn't anticipate Sony offering the 80GB model for $500 with (or without) a game in the near future ...

First off it would be seen as another price cut within 1 year which looks far more desperate than (just about) anything I have ever heard of; beyond that though, if Sony attempted to maintain 2 SKUs where the only difference was a pack-in game or two (or 5) they would find that the more expensive model did not sell that well. There is no game that has universal appeal and most gamers would not see the apeal of paying an additional $100 for Motorstorm and Resistance (and 3 other already released games).

Another way to look at this is, if Nintendo offered the Wii at $200 without Wii sports and offered a Wii with 2 controllers, 2 nunchucks and Wiisports for $250 it would probably sell alright; if Nintendo offered a Wii with 2 controllers, 2 nunchucks, Wiisports, and Zelda for $300 it would not sell well compared to the $200 model. People who see a lot of value in pack-in games (enough to pay additional money) probably already own the console and the games.