By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony is phasing out the 60 gb to be replaced by the 80gb

Not putting the 80 gb at 499 would be suicide. In fact, it could make me abandon Sony because they will have officially killed themselves this generation.

Around the Network

Until all of the 60gb units are gone, Sony obviously can't drop the 80gb price down. As I (and others) have stated before, the 80gb model will be cheaper to make than the 60gb model. I suspect that Sony will drop the price on the 80gb model after the 60s are finally gone. However, you can't just have them both sitting next to each other at the same price, so they have made a fairly sound managerial decision here. Sell out of the current model and then make another announcement about the price drop of the new model. If they don't do this, then they are complete morons.

BTW, costco has a bundle with the ps3, an extra controller and motorstorm for $579. That's a better deal than the "limited edition" imo. BUY IT NOW. or not.

chuck

They could have avoided a lot of the negative publicity if they had just been up front about it from the start. Once again, Sony PR gets a failing grade.

How many PS3 are there with the 60gb drive isn't it something greater than 5.5 million and they have only sold about 3.7 million of just those assuming that sales stay the same at about 55k a week for the PS3 it would take them into Febuary just to sell off those systems and I'm assuming they made a bit more than 5.5 million 60gb models. Yes I know that during the holidays you will see an increase but the point more is that they are still going to have 60gb models out there during the holidays. So I'd say the more likely solution for Sony would be to do nothing why drop the 80gb down to $500 when they already will likely have a system available at that price point for quite a bit longer to come now. I'm sorry if I missed something but it just seems like what they should do if they are sitting on sales of about 55k a week w/w and need to move at least probably 2 million plus consoles. I have no doubt they will eventually move the 80gb model down to $500 I just think its just a bit unreasonable to believe it will be by even by the end of this year maybe around the holidays but even if they don't move it there the logic is a bit flawed as they as long as they say so have a $500 system on the market even if it is in low supply.

So who's eating CROW?

LOL at price cut, many Sony sure suck balls... that is such a lame tactic.

I want to hear some of the Sony Fan's perspective on this... how is this a positive spin?

Around the Network

If it ends up costing $499 anyways (very possible because they are ditching the emotion chip and 20 extra gigs costs little to nothing for a hard drive), what difference does it really make?

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

So, we have SCEE saying that the 60GB is going bye-bye, then we have SCEA saying it's absolutely not true and that they were mistranslated, and then we finally have Kaz Hirai saying it is in fact going to be discontinued. God I love Sony sometimes.

OriGin said:

I want to hear some of the Sony Fan's perspective on this... how is this a positive spin?

can the mods maybe to their job.

OriGin said:
So who's eating CROW?

http://www.pete-online.us/Images/EatCrow.jpg

Not eating anything here.  Until it's confirmed by SCEA it's still just a rumor and we know what will happen once the 60's are out of stock?  Will sony replace it with a 60gb without the EE? We really don't know yet now do we?  We know that the pack in game and 80gb system will be a limited edition.  How limited will it be and how long until it's no longer available?

OriGin, you are a poor troll, but nice attempt with your flame baiting.   I haven't spun this positive yet since it hasn't been confirmed directly by SCEA.  I'm staying optimistic and we'll find out in the near future exactly what the case is.  Until then, you can keep your crow and let it play Wii Fit. LOL.  (that is if you want to talk about things that are Lame)

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

twingo said:
OriGin said:

can the mods maybe to their job.

Yeah, like keeping banned users out.