By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "Im a PC! Got a problem with that?": New Microsoft advertisements kick off.

@ Alby_da_Wolf

I guess AmigaOS could anyway have a restart easier than Linux in its early years, as now, with the source code available, it could have OOo, Gimp, and so on, a complete set of indispensable SW tools. And there is Wine too that could plug holes in the same measure it does for other OS'.

Yes, open source software can help. But AmigaOS is so different the devs first had and still have to develop suitable middleware to simplify porting. There are efforts to bring over Mozilla/Firefox and OpenOffice.org. But without some much needed parts which only recently have been added, too many software adjustments (making something very Amiga-unlike, Amiga like) were required.

AmigaOS4 itself, PPC native or emulated 68k Amiga software fly on under-specced hardware. We have gone from 1 GHz+ G4 systems and soon we will get back to 667 Mhz 440s as the most powerful available Amiga system. Have to wonder how useful some of the bloatware will be on such systems.

Currently AmigaOS4.x is very much still a developer system, hopefully someday the OS will be ported to PS3. Cheap, mass available and far more powerful hardware. At least the under powered specs push the devs to ultimate efficiency (AmigaOS4 can already be used on 166 Mhz Amigas with 64 MB RAM).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Apple's answer to gaming... Bootcamp

@ Alby_da_Wolf

What AmigaOS really needs, IMVHO, is to market its exclusive features as effectively as Apple does with its own, and if they are different enough from Apple ones, it could bite another chunk off Windows share of the pie.

The Amiga community and small companies do their best to share knowledge about AmigaOS's unique features (the Amiga community has a great diversity of top talent, but the community also lacks mass marketing dollars). For example:

http://www.amigaos4.com/index.php%3Foption=content&task=view&id=9&Itemid=.html

Developer pre-release AmigaOS4.0 beta screen dragging demo (running WipeOut emulated, currently it's more advanced supporting full drag & drop functionality between screens):

AmigaOS 4.1 (showing screen zoom, can be navigated through the thumbnail)

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Thatmax said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Microsoft is better than apple.....apple are money-hungry thieves

Didnt Bill Gates get sued for bullying out smaller companies and slowing progression to manopalise the industry? Almost all big companies are money hungry ... but not "thieves"

Department of Justice vs. Microsoft, Supreme Court case, yes.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Jordahn said:
Thatmax said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Microsoft is better than apple.....apple are money-hungry thieves

Didnt Bill Gates get sued for bullying out smaller companies and slowing progression to manopalise the industry? Almost all big companies are money hungry ... but not "thieves"

Department of Justice vs. Microsoft, Supreme Court case, yes.

With over 90% market share, they better watch them tightly.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Around the Network

I think the ads did a good job of making Apple seem like it has an elitist, exclusionary marketing program.

Anti-hip is the new black.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:
I think the ads did a good job of making Apple seem like it has an elitist, exclusionary marketing program.

While I could agree that MS is (clumsily) trying to make  Apple ads look so, I don't agree they really are, I get more the message that common people can easily be as the cool Apple guy and have a PC easy, enjoyable and reliable, while wintel PC's force them  to undergo unnecessary geeky complications, awkwardness, clumsiness. I use a PC, not a mac, and while when I use linux I see some complicated things, but with a sense of order and a clear effort to make things easier as time goes by, rarely and only in some old and obscure programs I find unnecessarily quirky things, each new version of Windows I used, while admittedly making some things easier, each time leave well known bugs and quirks they know people hate, and what's wors, sometimes they add new nuisances, like product activation, insane and/or unsafe default settings, removal of useful features, unjustified price rises masked by the introduction of low cost but heavily mutilated versions and so on... And system and applications updates keeps on being much easier in linux, particularly in debian-derived distros. So in the Apple ads'  clumsy personified PC  I don't really recognize myself or other patient, innocent and burdened wintel PC users, but only the wintel PC itself.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

What was with the blue screen of death at the end of the PC ad...

@OnlyIsrael:
ROTFL That was the best, MS should pay those South Park fans to be teached by them how to get humour

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!