By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So did MGS4 fail to meet expectations?

starcraft said:
I doubt it. Thinking back to all the prediction threads, 5 million seemed to be the expected minimum for the majority of MGS fans.

Now that number is in severe doubt, even with heavy bundling. And thats ignoring the very common 6-8 predictions.

who predictied 6-8 mil, was i one of then by any chance, i dont think i was

Around the Network

Met Konami's expectations? Yeah, probably.

Met fan expectations that were unreasonably high for no reason and completely ridiculous? No.

starcraft said:
I doubt it. Thinking back to all the prediction threads, 5 million seemed to be the expected minimum for the majority of MGS fans.

Now that number is in severe doubt, even with heavy bundling. And thats ignoring the very common 6-8 predictions.

Mind sharing the links to those threads?

LOL MATURE said:
starcraft said:

The average sales of the first three MGS titles was 5 million, not including spin-offs and Xbox versions.

MGS4 is tracking to come in to around 4 million lifetime according to VGChartz, unless it sees ungodly sales during the holiday period, or bundling (of which it has already had a great deal).  Given this title had an enormous budget compared to previous titles (even when taking account of the progression to the next generation), did MGS4 fail to meet its sales expectations?

Note:  Due to Sony moneyhatting, and solid sales of the game, I am positive Konami made a reasonable amount of profit on the game.

I'll do what you always do when people say MS moneyhats (which they are actually known for)

Got proof?

About as much proof as you have that ToV, Star Ocean, Ace Combat and Eternal Sonata were moneyhatted.

Sometimes in life, we employ common sense.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
Ail said:
The title is showing impressive legs ( better than GTA4 actually) so it's way too early to determine final sales...

GTAIV's legs have been a bitter disappointment though.  Remember they didn't meet TT's expectations?

How about week 13 of MGS4 is better or equal than week 1 of 2 of Microsft hyped exclusives of this autumn ( Viva Pinata and IU).

You tell me how you expect those titles to sell and you can already expect MGS4 to sell like 2-3 times that amount more of copies....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
slimeattack said:
No way. I think that MGS4 will pass 5 million in the end. People are forgetting about "Christmas" and "Platinum".

The averages when you include the special versions of MGS games tends to be closer to the 6 million range as I seem to recall. The game is probably meeting sales expectations though. It was released well after it was clear what the PS3's future would be so I imagine the sales expectations were adjusted for instal base.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

lol
Just 4 million LTD? At the end of the year 4.5 million MGS4 will be sold so over 6 millions LTD is pretty much given. Remember great game always have great legs.

Arcturus said:
starcraft said:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/board.php?id=5

Feel free to trawl through for them. 

You're looking for threads from May and June.  You may also want to check locked threads from that time

Ail said:
starcraft said:
Ail said:
The title is showing impressive legs ( better than GTA4 actually) so it's way too early to determine final sales...

GTAIV's legs have been a bitter disappointment though.  Remember they didn't meet TT's expectations?

How about week 13 of MGS4 is better or equal than week 1 of 2 of Microsft hyped exclusives of this autumn ( Viva Pinata and IU).

You tell me how you expect those titles to sell and you can already expect MGS4 to sell like 2-3 times that amount more of copies....

Er.....

When did I tell you anything about VP and IU?

starcraft said:
Arcturus said:
starcraft said:

http://vgchartz.com/forum/board.php?id=5

Feel free to trawl through for them. 

You're looking for threads from May and June.  You may also want to check locked threads from that time

Why did you wait months after it released? I remember tons of "Lol MGS4 bombed" comments from 360 and wii fans and everyone said "The only people who think this is lower than expected are you guys" Why don't you show us a solid link with these expectations? they couldn't do it when this game launched. We shouldn't have to scrounge up links because of your claims. that proof is on you.

This thread is flaimbait and I'm reporting you.