By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So did MGS4 fail to meet expectations?

6-8 mil? If it was Leo-J or crazzy that said that, then you have no argument.

I've always been in the 3-5 million camp.

So yes, it met my expectations, it's gonna sell 4+ million units, right in the mid of my expectations.

Konami/Kojima/Sony seem happy, so yes, expectations have been met.

But I too would like to see the links to the 6-8 mil predictions.

Around the Network

Sorry Starcraft.

PSN: chenguo4
Current playing: No More Heroes

starcraft said:

The average sales of the first three MGS titles was 5 million, not including spin-offs and Xbox versions.

MGS4 is tracking to come in to around 4 million lifetime according to VGChartz, unless it sees ungodly sales during the holiday period, or bundling (of which it has already had a great deal). Given this title had an enormous budget compared to previous titles (even when taking account of the progression to the next generation), did MGS4 fail to meet its sales expectations?

Note: Due to Sony moneyhatting, and solid sales of the game, I am positive Konami made a reasonable amount of profit on the game.

Did MGS4 fail to meet expectations of Konami? No, they probably made alot of money on it via Sony funding and bundles.

Did MGS4 fail to meet expectations of MGS fanboys? No, they bought the game, played it, and enjoyed it.

Did MGS4 fail to meet expectations of Sony? No, They moved quite a bit of systems and put a jolt in their game library.

Did MGS4 fail to meet expectations of Kojima? Yes, there wasn't enough time or resources to make the game as he envisioned ......as always.

Did MGS4 fail to meet expectations of Microsoft? Yes, they got absolutely pummeled that month.

Did MGS4 fail to meet expectations of Starcraft? No, "because he's not into these type of games" and if he we're, he'd play Splinter Cell instead.

Did Sony money hat Konami into making this game exclusive? Yes.

Did Microsoft money hat SquareEnix, NamcoBandai and other publishers into making DLC and exclusive games for them? Yes.

Are MGS4 sales going to come to a complete halt right now? No

Did i expect MGS4 to reach 3 million lifetime? Yes

Do I feel stupid now? Yes

Are my questions annoying anyone? Maybe.

Should I stop? Yes

Will I stop? No.

chenguo4 said:

Sorry Starcraft.

Hahahaha

I admit it, you almost got me there.

darthdevidem01 said:
Well if your talking about Rock_on's n Leo-J's prediction shame on you Starcraft for taking em seriously

otherwise MGS4 is about to pass MGS3's TD sales in NA....PS3's worst market

I think we can safely say it has MORE than met expectations in NA. It has met exectations in EU & in Japan

Let me remind you now of some xbot predictions who said MGS4 would be lucky to get past 3 million.....some said it would never even reach MGS3's sales.

so the ludicrous predictions go both ways.

Apart from that MGS4 has not met expectations.....but surpassed them

Exactly this.

Starcraft cherrypicked peoples perdictions. (Then he doesn't provide proof to back them up and tells us we need to look ourselves for them or just take his word on it)

And then everyone said MGS3 sales were on a HUGE platform install base and that the series was dying so MGS4 would sell a lot less than it.

Around the Network
LOL MATURE said:
starcraft said:
LOL MATURE said:
starcraft said:

The average sales of the first three MGS titles was 5 million, not including spin-offs and Xbox versions.

MGS4 is tracking to come in to around 4 million lifetime according to VGChartz, unless it sees ungodly sales during the holiday period, or bundling (of which it has already had a great deal).  Given this title had an enormous budget compared to previous titles (even when taking account of the progression to the next generation), did MGS4 fail to meet its sales expectations?

Note:  Due to Sony moneyhatting, and solid sales of the game, I am positive Konami made a reasonable amount of profit on the game.

I'll do what you always do when people say MS moneyhats (which they are actually known for)

Got proof?

About as much proof as you have that ToV, Star Ocean, Ace Combat and Eternal Sonata were moneyhatted.

Sometimes in life, we employ common sense.

Let's see... common sense says that MS will be the same ol' company with the same ol' dirty tactics. Previous behavior is reflected on a company when these situations come up. So.... why wouldn't people think MS paid for those titles?

Please starcraft you haven't used one ounce of common sense in this thread.

Dirty tactics?

You mean like DRM-laced CD's with no warning?

Stripping "core" features out of consoles?

Microsoft does some messed up stuff, but I don't get why anyone is honestly deluded enough to think Sony is any better.

Obviously the game turned out crap, but why do you think Haze went exclusive?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

LOL MATURE said:
starcraft said:
LOL MATURE said:
starcraft said:
Arcturus said:
starcraft said:
I doubt it. Thinking back to all the prediction threads, 5 million seemed to be the expected minimum for the majority of MGS fans.

Now that number is in severe doubt, even with heavy bundling. And thats ignoring the very common 6-8 predictions.

Mind sharing the links to those threads?

http://vgchartz.com/forum/board.php?id=5

Feel free to trawl through for them. 

You're looking for threads from May and June.  You may also want to check locked threads from that time

Why did you wait months after it released? I remember tons of "Lol MGS4 bombed" comments from 360 and wii fans and everyone said "The only people who think this is lower than expected are you guys" Why don't you show us a solid link with these expectations? they couldn't do it when this game launched. We shouldn't have to scrounge up links because of your claims. that proof is on you.

This thread is flaimbait and I'm reporting you.

Report away.  One glance at your first post in this thread and I suspect your report will backfire.

I try to see how things play out before suddenly jumping to conclusions over one or two week's data.  Surely months on from launch is a better time to gauge a title's success than the week after it is released?

Oh so you are admitting the mods don't do their job? When taking action the reporter shouldn't be looked at but what they are reporting. If they base action on my comment and not your trolling/cherry picking/flaimbait OP then shame on them.

What did I say about the mods?

Are you admitting that your comment was punishable?

starcraft said:
Arcturus said:
starcraft said:
I doubt it. Thinking back to all the prediction threads, 5 million seemed to be the expected minimum for the majority of MGS fans.

Now that number is in severe doubt, even with heavy bundling. And thats ignoring the very common 6-8 predictions.

Mind sharing the links to those threads?

http://vgchartz.com/forum/board.php?id=5

Feel free to trawl through for them.

You're looking for threads from May and June. You may also want to check locked threads from that time

So you're not refering to any actual predictions?

damn, u added more to that than I did bbsin.

LOL MATURE said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Well if your talking about Rock_on's n Leo-J's prediction shame on you Starcraft for taking em seriously

otherwise MGS4 is about to pass MGS3's TD sales in NA....PS3's worst market

I think we can safely say it has MORE than met expectations in NA. It has met exectations in EU & in Japan

Let me remind you now of some xbot predictions who said MGS4 would be lucky to get past 3 million.....some said it would never even reach MGS3's sales.

so the ludicrous predictions go both ways.

Apart from that MGS4 has not met expectations.....but surpassed them

Exactly this.

Starcraft cherrypicked peoples perdictions. (Then he doesn't provide proof to back them up and tells us we need to look ourselves for them or just take his word on it)

And then everyone said MGS3 sales were on a HUGE platform install base and that the series was dying so MGS4 would sell a lot less than it.

Excuse me?  Where have I cherrypicked anything?

MY OP is a question, not a statement.

Judging by the (reasonable) responses, it appears many believe some party's expectations have not been met, and some have.